Computer USB Audio to a mono rig.. how?

Mystic38

Inspired
EDIT: See Post #10 for workaround for Windows users

I simply wish to play USB audio such as youtube/music through the AX/Fx3 which has a mono amp/speaker connected to OUT2L. Out2 Uses OUT2 EQ, and OUT1 is reserved for silent practice.

If i map computer usb 1/2 to out2, it plays and with OUT2 set to stereo I get Left only playing...which is what i would expect.
If i then SETUP> AUDIO> OUTPUT CONFIG change OUT2 to "Sum L+R" I STILL get Left only playing.... which i did not expect.

Surely this should not be the case..? but if "it is what it is" then >

moving on, I have seen a lot of reference to using other USB channels and the grid, however

1. WIndows USB driver for some reason will not access anything other than Speakers (Axe-Fx-III) which is rather limiting.
2. Unless I am a temporary dolt, I see zero ability to place the computer audio USB 1&2 onto the grid..

I understand that
a) if i move my mono rig to OUT3, sure I can send USB Audio to OUT2, loopback with 1/4 cables into IN 2 and THEN sum the L&R but that is a messy solution, loses a system input and output which should not be necessary, and
b) Before anyone says fire up a DAW simply to get the USB audio onto the grid via 5/6. 7/8.. just don't. lol.. Firing up the DAW for simply practice and creating is a joysucker and also doesn't translate to using the AX/FxIII with anything other than the studio computer, like an iPad etc..

Anyway, hopefully I am doing something boneheaded, guidance appreciated!

Last edited:
1. WIndows USB driver for some reason will not access anything other than Speakers (Axe-Fx-III) which is rather limiting.
2. Unless I am a temporary dolt, I see zero ability to place the computer audio USB 1&2 onto the grid..
System audio into the grid via usb: Mac Yes. Windows No.

System audio into the grid via usb: Mac Yes. Windows No.

indeed, i saw reference to that many times.. in reality tho, the grid would not need to be used if setting the output mode to "sum L+R" actually worked with USB audio..

If the grid had to be used, then having a better WIndows USB audio driver that could access all the channels would allow this (note: this is not a "Windows" issue, as i can directly access all 20 i/o channels of my Motu interface, 18 of Scarlet etc).

So we have a combination of two issues .. an incomplete feature (sum L+R not working on USB audio) and a limited USB audio driver that results in a bottom line for this simple use case being that Windows/iPad/Phone users cannot use a mono rig for music playback without extensive workaround (lose either out1 or out2 and an input for direct loopback of USB audio, and also edit every desired preset).

It's not a driver issue. It's a Windows issue. The Windows audio service does not support ASIO. By selecting Stereo as the output mode for Windows, you are limited to only the first two output channels of any audio driver. You can change it to 5.1 or 7.1 surround and access more output channels, but Windows does not have a native mixer that would allow you to route things to specific output channels. The closest workaround would be to use something like VoiceMeeter or some other virtual cable type of driver to re-route things.

It's not a driver issue. It's a Windows issue. The Windows audio service does not support ASIO. By selecting Stereo as the output mode for Windows, you are limited to only the first two output channels of any audio driver. You can change it to 5.1 or 7.1 surround and access more output channels, but Windows does not have a native mixer that would allow you to route things to specific output channels. The closest workaround would be to use something like VoiceMeeter or some other virtual cable type of driver to re-route things.
Sorry, …you are incorrect. class compliant audio drivers exist for other audio interfaces that can access all channels in stereo pairs directly within and from windows, so no it categorically is not remotely a windows issue.

Fwiw, If you actually paused long enough to actually read the post this is not the actual problem I was reporting.. there is a clearly stated function in setup that configures the output to Sum L+R and it does not work on usb audio and it should, given it clearly states it is an output configuration, and the usb audio is output on those channels. There is no other view to take than this is an “incomplete feature”

Everything else was discussing workarounds, one of which was to use 5/6 or 7/8 on the grid, not a particularly elegant workaround as every preset would need to be edited, but anyway it is not possible as the driver does not support it.

The issue at hand is trying to play usb audio like YouTube/pandora etc through a mono rig on the axe fx3.. and positive, solution based comments are welcome.

Slow down cowboy. On page 71, the manual clearly states that function does not affect usb pass-through audio. No, your view is not the only possible view on the matter.

True, it is possible with different driver and/or mixer options, but my point was that the built in options of Windows audio are very limited. The Windows sound mixer is very basic and has changed practically none in decades. As I said WDM drivers can access more channels, but there's no native OS solution to route various applications' audio output to specific channels of an audio driver.

True, it is possible with different driver and/or mixer options, but my point was that the built in options of Windows audio are very limited. The Windows sound mixer is very basic and has changed practically none in decades. As I said WDM drivers can access more channels, but there's no native OS solution to route various applications' audio output to specific channels of an audio driver.
Well to be fair, i never mentioned ASIO, and you never mentioned WDM lol, but yes, we can agree that vendors can supply drivers that are accessible to windows audio settings to route applications to stereo pairs of an audio device. Motu for example, in addition to its ASIO driver offers standard options from the Windows taskbar of "Speakers (MOTU Pro Audio)" and also "OUT 1-24 (Motu Pro Audio)" and the latter allows for all sorts of processing within the interface through its control interface.

Anyway, ty for the response.. and while such a driver would be useful, it would not help anyone in a mobile application ..but making setup audio output config of sum (L+R) work with USB audio would fix the issue for everyone without the grid being needed..

cheers.

Slow down cowboy. On page 71, the manual clearly states that function does not affect usb pass-through audio. No, your view is not the only possible view on the matter.
Cowboy?.. really? .. lol.. I suspect some cowboy somewhere would take huge offense at that. ;)

No, clearly you are correct, my view is not the only one.. but that fact does not invalidate a reasonable use case, nor invalidates any of my comments.. and yes while you can dive into page 71 of the manual to invalidate a reasonable assumption, it does not mean that it was not a reasonable assumption to make for someone who never memorized the manual, nor invalidate a reasonable perspective that "sum(L+R)" is really kinda only an "incomplete feature"... which it is.. and fwiw, i will point out that i not once said "bug" so there was never any disrespect to Fractal stated or implied by me.

Anyway, yes, I understand that it "is what it is" but another perspective than yours would consider that this is a reasonable request for a reasonable improvement that would clearly benefit a lot of users.

good day.

Here is a valid workaround for (at least) Windows users to play USB Audio via a mono rig on the Axe/FxII

Windows > Settings > Ease of use > Hearing (Audio) > Turn On Mono Audio

Back
Top Bottom