computer speakers upgrade for AX8 direct?

I have been running my AX8 thru my computer direct ....I get great tone and reasonable volume but without the heavy punch my amp creates even at lower volumes, so the wife is happy. My Question is I think I am over running my computer's speakers capabilities and am wondering what speakers would work well with an HP 23 Envy? Don't really need much more volume, just much better speakers than the stock computer speakers.
Thanks Rob

I am assuming you want to keep your budget as low as possible. Based on this, any low cost powered studio monitors will be an upgrade to computer speakers. As for punch, in my personal experience you will need to go to larger diameter speakers. I have a couple of M-Audio BX-5's and they are passable, but no comparison to my ALTO's monitors with 12" speakers. Just my 2 cents :)

Chrisjnyc is correct. I have a pair of Sterling MX-5 monitors on my desk; so much better than any computer speaker! The sound of the MX-5s was surprisingly good (and honest) to my ears. The MX-5s are connected to a Scarlett 2i4 interface (it acts as an external sound card as well as a recording interface).

I picked up a set of Yamaha HS50N reference monitors for $200 off of craigslist a couple of months ago. They work great. Not insanely loud, but they sound great and they have a really flat response so you know exactly what you're getting

I have used just about every computer speaker out there... none of them are worth it. Better off with a decent pair of headphones. A pair of powered monitors would also be a good idea. I use a single Rokit 5 with my PC\AX8
you are absolutely correct, its just I am blowing my ears off with the damn headphones because they sound so good , hahaha so thats why I also want to have a good pair of speakers to fall back on

I like powered monitors better than headphones. Just seems more natural. I upgraded my (I thought good) computer speakers to Adams A3s about 4 years ago. Not only does the AX sound great through them, any music you are trying to copy is clearer, more discrete and easier to pick out, too. It was night and day. If you get really good powered monitors, the difference is that much more. Size, footprint and price drove me to the A3s (though I'd rather have A7s).

I am really liking the flexability of playing the AX8 direct thru the computer and out the speakers ....heres the really great thing, regardless of volume I have perfect tone , and and amp has such punch to it , even low volume, so it is better for a household or apartment

I like powered monitors better than headphones. Just seems more natural. I upgraded my (I thought good) computer speakers to Adams A3s about 4 years ago. Not only does the AX sound great through them, any music you are trying to copy is clearer, more discrete and easier to pick out, too. It was night and day. If you get really good powered monitors, the difference is that much more. Size, footprint and price drove me to the A3s (though I'd rather have A7s).
got it ...I havent heard of Adams, I will give them a listen though with this recommendation. thanks!

Another vote for Adams, I have the A5x's with an Adams Sub 8 under my desk. Sounds awesome. Sometimes I wish I'd gone for the A3x's instead just to get a smaller footprint on my desk but I'm not sure since the A5x's sounds so good.

I use a pair of Presonus Eris 4.5" powered speakers ($200 a pair) for a secondary household PC/music station, and I've been very pleased with the results. Sounds great with guitar modeling and midi-driven software instruments as well as streaming music/movies.

Yet another vote for Adam AX series. Have the A7X's now, had A5X's before them. Both are absolutely stunning monitors.
The price of AX series is rather high. If you need cheaper option, I'd recommend to look at new Adam T series. These are much more affordable. Can't say anything about their sound though.

Back
Top Bottom