Computer setup, sound card, recording etc...

L

luke

Let's first assume I'm a computer idiot, because I am. Then let's assume I've never recorded digitally, because I haven't.

I want to get a DAW for recording. I have a one year old laptop that runs Windows 8, that I can make a dedicated computer.

What do I need, all the parts and software to begin recording at home?

Tell me about what you use and if you are happy with it, the limitations you've found, etc....

Good news is that if you don't need to record vocals or acoustic drums you can get started very cheap. I use Cubase and Protools mainly because I have used those for years and am very comfortable with them, but you should look at Reaper. People seem quite happy with it, and the price is great. Use the Axe as your soundcard and maybe invest in a basic midi controller for playing in drum parts and keyboard lines, bass lines and whatever; you should be able to find something less than a hundred dollars on craigslist. I would suggest getting this setup to the point where you can sketch out an acceptable demo of an instrumental rock song (guitars, bass, drums) before you worry about spending money on microphones and audio interfaces :)

Also, this forum might be useful: Home Recording Forums

Good luck :)

1) DAW - I use Acid Pro - Because I like to use loops (Pre-recorded drum, bass, and keyboard parts) and it's very easy to get up and recording quickly. You might also check out Reaper - It's free and very popular.

2) Recording Interface - I just use the Axe via a USB cable directly into Acid Pro. If you want to be able to record other instruments, vocals, etc. you might think about picking up a separate recording interface. I use the MOTU 8 Pre and been VERY satisfied with it. I happen to own the "Firewire" version which requires a Firewire interface on your computer, and the associated driver.

Also, make sure that your laptop meets the minimum hardware/software requirements for whatever DAW software you choose. DAWs can be CPU and memory hogs.

I use Pro Tools on Windows.

I got Pro Tools in my project studio, around 2000, because of a project I got involved with where I was collaborating with other people all using Pro Tools. I've stuck with it since.

I'm up to version 10.x about to go to version 11.x.

In 10.x, you can use the AxeFx as your audio interface. So you won't need any other hardware to get going a little bit. Obviously, having a dedicated audio interface gives you more options for recording but at least you could get going.

The main point with Pro Tools is the plugin format is Pro Tools specific. This can mean you get locked in to preserve your plugin investment. For what I do this is not a big deal. And I have WAY too many plugins :)

I use Cakewalk sonar, Protools 11, Presonus Studio One, and Reaper. For its price and features Reaper is outstanding. I usually wind up using it for quick recordings and reamping with the Axe-fx just because its very fast opening and quick to get small things done.

Reactions: ang
Sonar and Presonus offer integrated Melodyne. I am about to upgrade to Sonar X3 with an I5 laptop and a Presonus Audio Box 22vsl. The demo ran great. Not the cheapest, but it is a very thorough DAW. By the way, I'm running Win 8 with Shell.

I'd probably start with Reaper for DAW and get some nice drum sample VST (I haven't been following this area much, I'm sure there's something that is relatively affordable and easy to use compared to the million sound behemoths like Drumkit From Hell), possibly another one for synths.

If you want to record vocals then a USB audio interface and a mic would be in order. In the past I would've recommended a FireWire audio interface but nowadays a FireWire port is really hard to come by and surely not available on your laptop, so USB it is.

This is almost exactly what I did.
Axe Fx as my main interface.
Reaper.- Free to download & use without limits.. $60.00 to license complete,

Superior Drummer 2.0
Synth plugin.
If you want to record mics then maybe a basic focusrite interface (2i2, 2i4)

Pretty amazing what you can learn to do quickly. Youtube has a ton of resources for AxeFx, recording tech, etc...

Check out these videos. This is how I got rolling. Way easy than you would think. I really like Reaper. I have Logic and really have no interest in using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjC5Xjb5Go&list=UUs9AN-WTBsWP72aewXlNKUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwfLKaQq4to&list=UUs9AN-WTBsWP72aewXlNKUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPWapW2-4P4

Good luck to you... It might be confusing to start but soon 2 + 2 will equal 4.

I'd probably start with Reaper for DAW and get some nice drum sample VST (I haven't been following this area much, I'm sure there's something that is relatively affordable and easy to use compared to the million sound behemoths like Drumkit From Hell), possibly another one for synths.

If you want to record vocals then a USB audio interface and a mic would be in order. In the past I would've recommended a FireWire audio interface but nowadays a FireWire port is really hard to come by and surely not available on your laptop, so USB it is.

Guitarist & hobby recordist, I've been tape-oping myself & friends on Tascam 424's & 464's for years!!
A few years ago I transitioned to "in the box" recording and haven't been happier.

Sweetwater Creation Station, Win7 PC 32 bit, Studio One 2 Pro DAW, Presonus Project interface with various plugins.

I've learned how to setup, record & mix my projects from Groove3 tutorials, reading Presonus forums & seeking out other sources of home recording information.

The cool thing about Studio One from Presonus is that I can record, mix & master in one program.

Cool home recordist resources:
I love the magazine called "TapeOp"
Tape Op - the Creative Music Recording Magazine

I was introduced to Joe Gilder of Home Studio Corner home recording website & podcast a month or so ago.
Fantastic resource for the home recorder enthusiast, novice or professional.
About | Home Studio Corner

You'd be surprised at the results you could achieve with just a built-in computer sound card and free software like Reaper for at-home demos and such. You definitely don't have to spend a bunch of money to capture decent sounding direct audio from something like the Axe II. You might want to max out the RAM in your laptop too. You can never have too much RAM for things like multiple tracks of effects and audio. HDD space is important too since audio .wav files take up a lot of storage space, especially at higher bit depths and bit rates.

If there's anything you should invest in first, I'd say it would have to be a good quality set of studio headphones. If volume isn't a problem you might want to get some decent near-field studio monitors instead. It's MUCH easier to do things like mixing and EQing when you can hear the true sound of your tracks. I've been using a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans for a while and I like them. They sound flat and true and are comfortable on my head. After that, I'd say maybe a good drum plugin like Addictive Drums or Superior Drummer. Good sounding drums definitely help me come up with riffs and song ideas.

Back
Top Bottom