Computer noise when using FM3 as audio interface?

Still researching the FM3.

Every guitar modeler I've owned, when I record over it's usb interface, the noise floor is higher, there is a "computer noise" or humming in the background. Even if its not loud and can be cleaned by the noise reduction, its still there. The only way I've gotten over this is to use a notebook computer and run from the battery.

The other way to solve this, is to NOT use the modeler as an interface, instead use its audio outputs into a dedicated audio interface, and use a hum eliminator to break any ground with the computer.

The issue with recording over usb is that I am not aware of any solution that will eliminate this noise.

My question regarding the FM3, has fractal devised a way to break ground noise when recording over usb, or is it susceptible to this like every other modeler I have used?

Seems like there should be a usb ground lift on these. If Fractal has this figured out, then I'm sold.

Love them or hate them, one thing that can be said about Apple computers is that they generally don't suffer from this problem.
I don't have this problem with my FM3 or Axe-Fx connected to either my desktop or laptop computers, even with a whole slew of other devices like cameras, piano keyboards, mice, hard drives, etc. I've never used them, but I've read reports of USB isolators helping in rare cases.
Also, it may not be ground hum but emissions you're hearing. Shielding is not great on many cases these days.

Last edited:
Love them or hate them, one thing that can be said about Apple computers is that they generally don't suffer from this problem.
I don't have this problem with my FM3 or Axe-Fx connected to either my desktop or laptop computers, even with a whole slew of other devices like cameras, piano keyboards, mice, hard drives, etc. I've never used them, but I've read reports of USB isolators helping in rare cases.
Also, it may not be ground hum but emissions you're hearing. Shielding is not great on many cases these days.
I second this, when I use my Imac or mac mini I get zero noise, but on either of my desktop PC's there's noise especially when moving the mouse.

Macs are sold as complete products, therefore they have to adhere to FCC guidelines regarding electro-magnetic interference. One of the reasons for the Mac "unibody" design is that the entire enclosure essentially acts as a Faraday cage.

PCs are generally built piecemeal from components, and as such, the cases don't have to adhere to any FCC electromagnetic emissions regulations (which almost every single PC case would fail miserably with all the mesh and glass and plastic).

One of the worst culprits when it comes to PCs is the graphics card. Those things spit out so much noise it's ridiculous, and the PC case lets it all through as if it weren't even there. I can't even just jam out on my guitar unless my gaming PC is either asleep or completely off.

I think the biggest single culprit these days is the big ugly window that everyone needs to have on their PC cases to show off the cool dustballs in their computers, all lit up with sexy pulsating RGB lights. 200 square inches of no shielding at all. It’s hard to find a windowless case.

yup, with apple there´s no noise at all.. with windows PC it´s sometimes way too much....you get what you pay for I guess...

Back
Top Bottom