Computer editor and foot controller at the same time?

jeffinaustin

Inspired
Anyone figure out a way to do this yet? Is there a way I could connect my laptop via midi to edit on the fly while having my gcpro connected at the same time? It'd be great to be able to do this for recording sessions. Would make it SO much quicker to dial up sounds for specific songs.

If I've got a 2x2 usb midi interface can I do this in the audioMIDI app in OSX with out having to involve another piece of hardware and my wallet?

I've got another cable inbound, should be here tomorrow & I'm hoping I can do this with the MIDI Thru enabled on the FCB. Right now w/o the Axe-FX out connected to the UM2EX, I'm able to upload to the FCB & control the Axe-FX w/the FCB real time. I didn't try to see if I could use the editor and manually synching the patches on the Editor/Axe-FX.

Code:
            LAPTOP
              |
            UM2EX
          /      \
       OUT       IN
        |         |
     FCB1010      |
          \      /
            Axe-FX

SWEEEEEEEEEET!

I have it configured exactly like this AND IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY! Editing the FCB or the Axe works, I can edit the Axe real time, no issues. I can send patch dumps to the FCB no prob.

Code:
            LAPTOP
              |
            UM2EX
       OUT         IN
       /             \
      |               |
     IN               |
   FCB1010            |
     OUT              |
      |               |
       \             /
        IN        OUT
           Axe-FX

I'm stoked, that means I can edit them both on the fly at the same time . . .

OH! and when I phantom power mod my FCB now that I've got the RDMH900 cable, I should have NO issues with powering the FCB. At least I hope, I don't think it'll relay power up thru the MIDI IN will it?

So will this setup allow me to edit the Axe patch and test my foot controller settings at the same time? Part of my creative process involves some fun and hopefully creative use of foot controllers, which causes me to tweak my patch as I play. You know, if you give a mouse a cookie...

That's an interesting configuration because to do the same thing I had to use more cables and use the midi through on the axe to get the midi from the FCB. I will try yours.
It looks like you are able to power your FCB through the midi cable, it this a mod to do on the FCB or just a special cable ? I would love to get rid of the FCB power cord, it messy enough as it is.
Thanks
Philippe

LAYGO said:
OH! and when I phantom power mod my FCB now that I've got the RDMH900 cable, I should have NO issues with powering the FCB. At least I hope, I don't think it'll relay power up thru the MIDI IN will it?

Actually this will be a moot point with the RDMH900 cable power dongle splitting off. DUH! I'll be installing a receptacle for the power soon.

Read the UnO yahoo group on how to mod the FCB for phantom power.

LAYGO said:
SWEEEEEEEEEET!

I have it configured exactly like this AND IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY! Editing the FCB or the Axe works, I can edit the Axe real time, no issues. I can send patch dumps to the FCB no prob.

Code:
            LAPTOP
              |
            UM2EX
       OUT         IN
       /             \
      |               |
     IN               |
   FCB1010            |
     OUT              |
      |               |
       \             /
        IN        OUT
           Axe-FX

I'm stoked, that means I can edit them both on the fly at the same time . . .

It doesn't work for me with an M-Audio Faxst Track Pro instead of the UM2EX
I can edit patches from Axe-FX with Axe-Edit but can't send patches from my computer (via Axe-Edit) to the Axe-FX !

Is there someone there who can help me ?

I've helped myself :mrgreen: !
Indeed, I've tried once more and, this time, I've powered on the M-Audio Fast Track Pro before (and not after) launching Axe-Edit :roll: !
So the interface have been recognized by Axe-Edit and worked pretty well.

Now, It's time to mount the Uno Eprom into my FCB1010 and calibrate all the pedals !
For me it's like climbing at the top of the Everest with a wooden leg :lol: !

LAYGO said:
I've got another cable inbound, should be here tomorrow & I'm hoping I can do this with the MIDI Thru enabled on the FCB. Right now w/o the Axe-FX out connected to the UM2EX, I'm able to upload to the FCB & control the Axe-FX w/the FCB real time. I didn't try to see if I could use the editor and manually synching the patches on the Editor/Axe-FX.

Code:
            LAPTOP
              |
            UM2EX
          /      \
       OUT       IN
        |         |
     FCB1010      |
          \      /
            Axe-FX

Thanks for the tip!
Works perfect with my Liquid-Foot!

Liquid foot has a midi merger? The Jr. too?
I wonder what the MFC can have that this thing hasn't.

Still happy with my FCB UnO. Could use a couple more IA's though. About 5. But I have it connected as above to my Audiophile midi ports and it works. I can run Axe-Edit and Ripwerx at the same time. Banks have transported well, just no firmware updates. Need to go direct for those.

The Gordius has a USB-midi interface built in IIRC.

I think the almost perfect solution (for me) is a M-Audio Midisport 2x2 Anniversary edition :!: :!: :!: (I have a Roland FC-300 footcontroller without midi thru)

It has a knob where you can switch between standard USB interface mode to computer and Midi Thru mode where it directly sent IN A to OUT A/ IN B to OUT B. Midi Thru doesn´t require additional power and can work standalone. It also has a Merge mode but this only works when there is no operating system running and it needs additional power supply... so not very handy.

So this can accomplish no more cable switching for a reasonable price!!! :D

The only downsite is that you cannot use computerediting and footswitching simultaniously. You have to press the button to switch between modes. But for me that is not a problem (I´m not that lazy :mrgreen: )

Back
Top Bottom