Compromise: Amps changing tone after update

L

luke

It keeps coming up, in new threads by different users. You can keep screaming 99% of people are happy, but I highly doubt that, not to mention the non-vocal users.

How about a separate program that allows users to download their amp parameters prior to updating? At least then they can see negative feedback has changed from 3.5 to 5.0.

The ability to diff block parameters between two patch files would be a hugely awesomely amazingly greatly-appreciated addition to our tool suite even without the whole firmware-changes-my-sound stuff.

It keeps coming up, in new threads by different users. You can keep screaming 99% of people are happy, but I highly doubt that, not to mention the non-vocal users.

How about a separate program that allows users to download their amp parameters prior to updating? At least then they can see negative feedback has changed from 3.5 to 5.0.

If it bothered me enough, I would just export to .csv and then have a look at the file.

Easy!

1.Open axe edit

2.On PC-hold down the shift\control and alt keys yes all three. (I use ring finger control, middle finger shift and index or thumb for alt)

*****Per Barhrecords helpful comment: It must be the leftside keys

3. click on export button top right corner of axe edit-there you go-name and save

I am sure there are keys on the mac also-don't have one though

Last edited:
1.Open axe edit

2.On PC-hold down the shift\control and alt keys yes all three. (I use ring finger control, middle finger shift and index or thumb for alt)

3. click on export button top right corner of axe edit-there you go-name and save

I am sure there are keys on the mac also-don't have one though

On a PC it has to be the left-hand-side keys not the right-hand-side keys.

I wish there was a way to dump a set of presets like this vs. one at a time. I would use this as my long-term archival format.

Also, you have to be careful comparing values from one firmware to the next.

A lot of values are multipliers / ratios / offsets to values in the model that you can't see. If the model value changes then the "new" amp block parameter might need to be different to get the same effect.

Yep-I just always use my left hand because my right hand is on the mouse , being right handed like I am - so that never comes up for me----Good call

But it still would help in 2 scenarios: the conversion utility threads and the FW update threads.............Maybe not the total answer , but it does show a lot.

A lot of values are multipliers / ratios / offsets to values in the model that you can't see. If the model value changes then the "new" amp block parameter might need to be different to get the same effect.

This ^^^ -- there's a reason CSV dumps aren't touted as a feature by Fractal. That data requires some thought to comprehend if you're unfamiliar with how the parameter is implemented and what the value means.

I guess I'm a "vocal minority" here (I doubt that, but whatev)...

I get what you're asking for and why some people would find it useful, and for you guys that's cool.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I'm fairly certain I would never use this. If things changed so drastically, I would just rebuild presets from scratch using my ears until I got what I wanted... which is usually what I do just about every time I turn this thing on, "I feel like smokey blues today... death metal today... pop country today... I think I'll dial in something with this amp or that amp or these effects." I only have a small handful of go-to presets that I actually *need* at any given moment.

For those of you who might have more on the line than I do, say you're in a cover band where you have 100+ presets that really nail everything you need, this would be really valuable. Not so much for guys like me.

Bumping this again.

There are MANY more things than just 'oh, this parameter is now <this>'. Especially in major releases. Just changing that value and voila'! Same sound only BETTER will not work the way you want it to.

Rotti is right. Recreate if the preset is blown. DON'T UPGRADE (or wait until you have the time to give it proper attention) if your livelyhood depends on those presets (or backup and roll back if you don't like the changes...)

U
Bumping this again.

There are MANY more things than just 'oh, this parameter is now <this>'. Especially in major releases. Just changing that value and voila'! Same sound only BETTER will not work the way you want it to.

Rotti is right. Recreate if the preset is blown. DON'T UPGRADE (or wait until you have the time to give it proper attention) if your livelyhood depends on those presets (or backup and roll back if you don't like the changes...)

Most of the time reverting to the prior figures resolves the issue for me, when it doesn't, I'm still very close and able to proceed from there. Take the new crunch feature, on some presets it was at 15%, but later we learned to be identical to 17 you'd want it at zero. If you failed to notice that difference you're deaf, stop upgrading, you can't tell anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom