Compressors in AXE FX III

Felicidade1

Hi!

Just started seriously exploring the compressor block recently. There seems to be more models that are 'transparent' then 'coloured' ones. Of course, I might be wrong. Anyway, can anyone point me to some guide/help regarding compressors in AFX3? I have tried looking for online videos and such but no luck.

Cheers!

You won't be able to get the fast attack times of the 1176 in the compressor block, or at least not in the micro-second range, as far as I've found.
Still, you can get some decently distorting 1176 style sounds with 4:1 - 8:1. Higher ratio has a harder knee so set that too. Faster release time ~15mS - 30mS, or really just listen to where the distortion is most pleasing and set the detector to peak.
Attack time is tricky but if you want more aggressive pick attack try 12mS - 24mS, which is like 200000 times slower than the real thing but work with what you got.
Also try the sidechain low cut over 100hz which should keep from distorting the lows too early. If it's too much raise the release time or reduce the mix %.
The 1176 circuit is a high impedance nightmare just like a guitar amp and every bit as aggressive about bumping the knobs (or getting a guitar pickup too close).

I have difficulty getting a hard, spanky compression like in Billie Jean, Dann Huff on Amy Grant's Wise Up or Steve Lukather with Los Lobotomys on the live version of Jorainbo. I'm pretty sure Dann and Steve were using MXR Dynacomp in front of the amp and DBX 160X in the loop. If anyone knows how to get this with Axe-FX compressors I'd be thrilled.

I have difficulty getting a hard, spanky compression like in Billie Jean, Dann Huff on Amy Grant's Wise Up or Steve Lukather with Los Lobotomys on the live version of Jorainbo. I'm pretty sure Dann and Steve were using MXR Dynacomp in front of the amp and DBX 160X in the loop. If anyone knows how to get this with Axe-FX compressors I'd be thrilled.

Yes, I like the compressed tone from those compressors too (pedals or rack). I like the classic DBX and if I don't have to dedicate another 1U rack space just for that, that'll be wonderful.

I always thought Billie Jean was guitar --> Neve mixing desk.

I would experiments with pedal comps 1&2 and seeing the release real low. And don't go easy on the compression. Go for 10 dB gain reduction as a starting point.

Back
Top Bottom