Compressor not as good as it could be

My clips are hidden on 25-year-old cassette tapes, but I hope to come across them someday...
I doubt you would hear much of it in the sound — maybe in the slight lower strings pulling that was most fun. IOW, you may not hear how special it was. I think it was also a combo of my gear, regular cabs, volume, ... — an "in the room" experience, as if the compressor was tweaked exactly for my hands and gear.

The Axe can easily do it for slamming chords and skank — the string pulling sounds remains to be seen and I will try later, as I have never tried with the updated algorithms.

OTOH, you do have to wonder why the GSP has an analog compressor? I would think it's either because they know it will be better, or because they know they are not able to write great digital code for it? Or maybe to relieve the CPU.

I don't know if analog EQ tends to be better as well. It kinda seems they chose the 3 analog sections wisely. A tube (or two) at high voltage, compressor, and EQ. I thought the thing had plenty CPU to include digital compression (although I don't know if it would take a lot CPU?), but they didn't.

Also, around Axe-Fx II, fw4 is when Cliff discovered more hints about how to add feel, IIRC. There were one or more firmwares that added an increased sense which he later removed. Maybe if that was added again as a parameter, it could help for what I experienced. Maybe that has become the Thump, etc. Too early to request. Will first see if I can get it with the new gen.
If you want to post a DI, I can try and run it through my 2101 and post an mp3. Just need to know what preset or settings you want.

If you want to post a DI, I can try and run it through my 2101 and post an mp3. Just need to know what preset or settings you want.
Thanks for the offer! :)

I'll just take note of it for now, cos...
  • that guitar needs restringing
  • I'll first try with the coming FM9 update
  • I may try to find an old cassette. I think I only played around with the best sound in-between songs though...
Even if you DI it, how can you know how "hot" my signal should be...?

BTW, I often practised this song with about exactly that sound.
I think mine used detuning only.
I just tweaked the ratio to 2.8:1, IIRC, which also sounded similar.
Unlike him, I slammed the chord before the repeat a little, which compressed beautifully (no prob on the Axe)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyDprBFEIQ0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2o5LeFBEV8 (CD live version)

For skank practice, I kinda added my own parts to Madonna's Open Your Heart, using the same preset. That clearly made the parts pop very nicely (no prob on the Axe either)

The challenge, I think, is the slight string pulling that sounded beyond awesome. I suspect how they slam on this particular guitar might be key. I have to hope that is on a cassette and tells us something. If you would hear it, you might suspect it is a much stronger string slap (pull/release w pick or finger) than it was. I've started wondering how the detuning possibly contributed to the slap sound...

Could you tell me how the ratios jump, please? I don't see that in the manual at first sight.
Was it 2.1 -- 2.4 -- 2.8...? (I used one of these three)

I will try and revisit this thread if I have success or not. Might take a while — I'm slow.

Last edited:
The challenge, I think, is the slight string pulling that sounded beyond awesome. I suspect how they slam on this particular guitar might be key. I have to hope that is on a cassette and tells us something. If you would hear it, you might suspect it is a much stronger string slap (pull/release w pick or finger) than it was. I've started wondering how the detuning possibly contributed to the slap sound...
If you’re going to ask a compressor to help with that spanky string snap, you have to slow down the compressor’s attack a bit. That gives your string attack a chance to come through before the compressor clamps down on your signal.

Thanks! That may become key. I don't think I changed that much on the GSP, as I was (even) less knowledgeable. I mostly remember doing it on the 4th and 5th string. To be more clear, it was not a thumb slap, but a slight pull and release.

While I have not tried what iaresee posted yet (I will...) I have tried many of the suggestions posted here and elsewhere. I know how to use compression, trust me. I have been at this for a little while now :). Bottom line: I just don't think the compression sounds that good in the FM3. It's not the end of the world and it's just one mans opinion, if you like it then be happy, I am going to stick some pedals in front for my live setup and that will be fine. I still think the FM3 is a killer product and I will continue to enjoy it. Rock on!

Back
Top Bottom