Compressor help

claxor

Power User
Guys,

I love the compressor on the Axe 2, and I use it for clean sustain on my high gain solos. Just adds great sustain and is totally transparent. Love it. It does take up some CPU, however. So, if I HAD to get a pedal compressor to free up some CPU %, what can do very clean, transparent, and powerful sustain? I'm wondering about the Origin Effects Cali76 or the Suhr Koji pedal.

What are your thoughts, and thanks!

Seems like if you love the effect in the Axe, it would make more sense to perhaps save CPU in other area's, perhaps with eliminating/replace with hardware effects you don't love as much ?

For example, let's say you don't really love the Axe rotary sound, thought its not bad. Free up CPU there by getting something like a Neo Ventilator, which most would say sounds better than the Axe version, and always be able to use the Axe compressor, which you love, since you otherwise freed up CPU.

Essentially, I'd get rid of everything I don't love, in order to be able to make sure I can use what I do love

Well, that's true, but I'm focusing also on effects that take up a good amount of CPU. Compression is one of them.

You can change from studio to pedal compressor to save CPU.
Which one are you running?

the Diamond comp was my fav that I ever used/owned. just more of everything, better. not a lot of squish.

I have a Suhr Koji and love it. Having the ability to mix in the compressed sound with the uncompressed sound is a nice feature, and it's probably the quietest pedal compressor I've used. I've also been trying out an Xotic SP Compressor and like that one too (but not nearly as much as the Koji).

Guys,

I love the compressor on the Axe 2, and I use it for clean sustain on my high gain solos. Just adds great sustain and is totally transparent. Love it. It does take up some CPU, however. So, if I HAD to get a pedal compressor to free up some CPU %, what can do very clean, transparent, and powerful sustain? I'm wondering about the Origin Effects Cali76 or the Suhr Koji pedal.

What are your thoughts, and thanks!

I like the Demeter Compulator; or the 2 knob Keeley Compressor. David Gilmour uses a Demeter. Adrian Belew uses a Keeley compressor that he leaves on all the time with his Axe FX. In the Axe FX I use the Studio compressor. I've considered doing the same thing as Adrian to save 4 CPU per preset.

CPU of the compressors in the Axe FXII:
Compressor = Dynamics = 3 CPU
Compressor = Pedal Comp 1 = 1 CPU
Compressor = Pedal Comp 2 = 1 CPU
Compressor = Studio Compressor = 4 CPU

As you can see, the pedal comp in the Axe FX only uses 1 CPU, but I like the Studio compressor best.

I'm going to go with the Fromel Velvet Vice V2... basically an optical comp that does what a Pale Green does, but does so far more transparently IMO. I'm not a fan of a ton of squish, pump, or compressors in general. I love that F'n thing though. Great for balancing string-to-string, nice sustain without sounding unnatural... good kit.

But I use the studio comp in the Axe most of the time. You might be able to save a few CPU % by using the output comp in the amp block. It reacts VERY well IMO, but is not quite the same feel for better/worse.

I see many people in Fractal forum prefers studio comp rather than pedal.Can i ask you why?

Normally it is meant for mixing and mastering the tracks. Many of its additional parameters make sense when you treat the whole track. These suppose to be less effective per note/signal, defeating the purpose of using a compressor in first place. If you set all these parameters for instant effect like pedal compressors then why are you spending three additional CPU? What makes you prefer it?

This is a false presumption. The additional parameters are common on several stomp compressors as well as mix down & mastering units, it just responds with a different flavor. I agree with OP, it's the most transparent of the lot.

Hi Rotti thanks for the reply.

About the section you bolded on, RMS was on my mind (Root Mean Square). As it takes an average loudness, you can easily exceed the threshold in peaks but compressor will not kick in. What i meant by per note/signal was that. One of the reasons you want a compressor is to avoid these insulting peaks. Though this has a side effect of reduced dynamics. Preferring RMS may come handy to preserve some of your dynamics. Now i assume what you describe as transparent actually means this. Am i right?

Ah, that's a good point. It had slipped my mind, and I thought you were talking about things such as "attack" which are often found as internal trim pots on certain stomps.
Yes, I've been using the new "fast RMS," sometimes up front, sometimes after gain stages depending on desired outcome.

I'd love some of your guys suggestions on settings for pedal and studio axe fx modes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom