Compressor Block Problem ?

bread

Power User
Is it me or does the auto gain make up not work on the compressor block ?

I need to crank the level to around 14db just to get unity gain when mix is 100%. On the Axe II this was really simple, choose a compressor, select Auto Gain makeup and adjust the settings. Now I need to re-do all my levels and add gates because the front end of the chain has far to much gain going through it.

Thann

It's been that way from day 1 with the III. I mentioned it when I first got my III almost a year & a half ago & Cliff just said the III is different than the II. There was also another thread about this recently where Cliff said he would look into it but no indication if he has found anything.

The only thing auto-gain does is attempt to keep the output level the same as the ratio and/or threshold is changed. It has to make assumptions about the incoming level which is just a guess since every guitar is different.

The threshold of the Axe-Fx III differs from the Axe-Fx II by about 20 dB so if you are copying presets from the II you need to change your threshold accordingly.

Auto-gain absolutely, in no way, has anything to do with the Mix control. That's just silly.

The only thing auto-gain does is attempt to keep the output level the same as the ratio and/or threshold is changed. It has to make assumptions about the incoming level which is just a guess since every guitar is different.

The threshold of the Axe-Fx III differs from the Axe-Fx II by about 20 dB so if you are copying presets from the II you need to change your threshold accordingly.

Auto-gain absolutely, in no way, has anything to do with the Mix control. That's just silly.
Cliff, would it be possible to try to explain why this 20dB difference?

This is the right way to set the compressor output level:

1. Bypass everything but the compressor block.
2. Dial in the desired threshold and ratio.
3. Alternate between bypassing and engaging the block while strumming hard. Adjust the output level until the volume is the same.

I was meaning it like this. If I have to set the compressor output at 14 dB when at 100 % mix, then trying to dial in a 50/50 mix is pretty hard since the volume difference between the dry and wet signal is so different.

I was meaning it like this. If I have to set the compressor output at 14 dB when at 100 % mix, then trying to dial in a 50/50 mix is pretty hard since the volume difference between the dry and wet signal is so different.
The output level is irrelevant. It's just a number. There's a reason 99% of compressors ever made have no mix control. You are fundamentally misunderstanding how a compressor works.

Back
Top Bottom