Wish Compressor attack/release default settings

Smittefar

Axe-Master
I wish the attack and release settings would be related to the different compressor types. Some compressor types have the option to change these settings, but even here, the default attack and release settings are often outside the range of the original compressor.

Example 1: The Dynamicomp (DynaComp) defaults to 2 ms attack and 100 ms release (which is 1000 ms due to the way release times are reported for pedal comps), but the real pedal has 5 ms attack time (according to Dunlop) and 1000 ms release (which is correct) and you cannot easily change these settings on the real pedal.

Example 2: the JFET compressor also defaults to 2 ms and 100 ms (which is this time actually 100 ms), but an 1176 compressor which is the main inspiration fo this can only do attack times between 0.02 ms and 0.8 ms which are both less than 2 ms.

Example 3: the optical compressors will often have a bit slower attack than the default 2 ms (usually closer to 10 ms) and also often dual stage release (LA-2a and -3a) and most often optical compressors do not allow you to set attack and release times.

The main point from my side is that if you are browsing compressor types, you don't get the real characteristic of the compressors as the attack and release times are off, and they are a very big part of the compressor sound/character.

The wish is that the default settings for each type get updated to reflect a characteristic setting for each compressor type.

If this gets fixed, I would also really like the "Release times for pedal compressors are 10x the setting" to go away. Today, a pedal comp set to a release time of 100 ms will be 1000 ms in reality. This is just enormously confusing.

I would like the auto-gain function to be selectable for all types. I understand how this setting is useful in some cases, but the volume matching is not really sufficiently accurate, and it is easier for me to eye-ball the needed make-up gain based on the gain reduction meter.

I've seen this 5ms spec thrown around for the Dynacomp and it's simply not true. The attack time is actually dynamic and a function of the input level. Our algorithm models this. The default value is 3.6ms and is the maximum attack time. The higher the input level, the lower the attack time.

Last edited:
5 ms attack time is in the dynacomp manual https://www.jimdunlop.com/content/manuals/M102.pdf

Are you saying that the dynamicomp model uses a dynamic attack time? Does the attack time knob scale this behavior?

Are you doing something similar for the optical compressors?
The attack time in our reference pedal is measured as 3.6ms. The attack time is dynamic. The greater the output of the compression circuit the faster the attack time.

I would rather not disclose how our algorithms work but most of our algorithms feature dynamic time constants.

OK,I perfectly understand the reluctance of disclosure.

So when I pull up the dynamicomp, and the attack seeing defaults to 2 ms, do I really get the dynamic 3.6 ms of the original pedal?

OK,I perfectly understand the reluctance of disclosure.

So when I pull up the dynamicomp, and the attack seeing defaults to 2 ms, do I really get the dynamic 3.6 ms of the original pedal?
The default is 3.6ms.

Ahh - I notice that the defaults have changed (when did that happen?). It seems the new default is 0.36 ms and 140 ms for all compressor types except compander.

But, is it now both attack and release that is multiplied by 10x, when we select a pedal compressor? Was it not previously only the release time? I think, this is very confusing. I would much prefer that the times are what they say they are.

But still the wish stands. Regardless if the Dynamicomp seems fairly accurate; 0.36 ms attack time for an optical compressor is very quick.

Ahh - I notice that the defaults have changed (when did that happen?). It seems the new default is 0.36 ms and 140 ms for all compressor types except compander.

But, is it now both attack and release that is multiplied by 10x, when we select a pedal compressor? Was it not previously only the release time? I think, this is very confusing. I would much prefer that the times are what they say they are.

But still the wish stands. Regardless if the Dynamicomp seems fairly accurate; 0.36 ms attack time for an optical compressor is very quick.
Actually, it looks like it is still 2ms for most of the pedals. Add a new compressor block, which defaults to Studio FF. It will have a 2ms attack time. The strange part is once you select the dynacomp the attack time changes to .36 ms and then when you select the other compressor types (that have attack time exposed) it remains on that .36 ms setting. It looks like the dynacomp is the only compressor that actually changes the default setting. The rest keep whatever value you change the release time to, So if you start with a studio compressor, it will have a default 2ms, change the value a bit. Select any other compressor type besides dynacomp it will retain that value. Switch to the dynacomp and it will change to .36 ms. Then when you switch compressor types, it retains that .36 ms value.

Actually, it looks like it is still 2ms for most of the pedals. Add a new compressor block, which defaults to Studio FF. It will have a 2ms attack time. The strange part is once you select the dynacomp the attack time changes to .36 ms and then when you select the other compressor types (that have attack time exposed) it remains on that .36 ms setting. It looks like the dynacomp is the only compressor that actually changes the default setting. The rest keep whatever value you change the release time to, So if you start with a studio compressor, it will have a default 2ms, change the value a bit. Select any other compressor type besides dynacomp it will retain that value. Switch to the dynacomp and it will change to .36 ms. Then when you switch compressor types, it retains that .36 ms value.
I think this is parameter retention in Axe-Edit. Does the same thing happen from the front panel?

I spend a lot of time now on compressor settings in the TonePack presets, so will be looking at this this weekend.

I like the addition of AutoGain very much, but am interestingly finding when using it I have to turn the Level to negative value (like -2db or even -3db) to get the Comp out level to be roughly the same level as when the compressor block is off. That is okay by me, it's just an observation.

I think this is parameter retention in Axe-Edit. Does the same thing happen from the front panel?
Yes, the front panel shows it - so it's not an editor issue. I confirmed with Michael Pickens the editor should be fine.

So what I think people are asking for here is, each time one selects a compressor type, there should be a default value that loads/comes up that is tied to that specific compressor type (as it does on the Dyncomp now - thank you Cliff!), and that that default value does NOT carry over when a different compressor type is selected second after the initial.

I know for example that an 1176 uses a 0.283 ms attack and 75ms release (at least the tech specs say that).

Say I set the Studio FB1 type to that attack/release. If I switch from that Studio compressor to a Dynacomp, then the Dynacomp default settings do load. That is good/desirable.

But if start from that Studio FB -- or most other types -- I switch to any other type of compressor (except the Compander type, that has it's own settings), the attack/release settings carry over from the first one selected.

So perhaps people are asking on Wish List for future for the "default values for attack and release" to load when selecting a JFET, Dynamics Processor, Tube, Analog (based on original gear modeled's values?), and the StudioFB/FF types -- even though we can tweak them after that?

Back
Top Bottom