Compression after the Cab?

Bman

Power User
In this video Rhett Shull shares a few tips to make his modeler (Helix, Kempler). One of the tips was to add compression after the cab, to give the setup a more realistic tube amp feel.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this or used a different method to achieve this?

The Fractal products model the whole amp.

If they are accurate (and they are ;)) then you're already getting a realistic tube amp feel :D

Of course, you can always do this to add to that. Although I'd put it after the amp not the cab.

Play around with the compression parameters in the Amp block. I think you'll find everything you need there.

@unix-guy is right. The amp models in the AX8 already include realistic compression. But there's no reason you can't add more if you want. :)

I was wondering about adding “after” compression to achieve a more studio like sound. I started playing with a compression block after the cab, but haven’t found a setup I like enough to use yet.

I was wondering about adding “after” compression to achieve a more studio like sound.

(Optical Compressor 1) After the amp gives you that "instant hit record" sound.

I'm actually working on the compressor right now and I think I've figured out a way to give it a threshold which makes it more useful when used after the amp.

When used after the amp I like to dial in a little Emphasis.

I've found with my AX8/Xitone setup that the louder I turn my preset up the less warm it gets. The opposite of a tube amp. Moving off axis certainly helps with that perception and the lack of warmth helps with the tone cutting through the mix. But I know when I crank my Marshall it compresses in a sweet way and always cuts through. I figured the advanced parameters can provide the compression as noted above, rather than using a compressor block. I'll give it a look and see if I can recreate that nirvana.

Turning up a clean power amp (like what your Xitone uses) is very different from turning up a tube amplifier.

Sounds like you're hearing classic Fletcher Munson: our ears are tuned for better perception of mids at lower volumes. So if you are dialing in presets at lower volume you will exaggerate the lows and highs because your ears don't hear them as well. When you turn up you hear that.

Adjust your presets at a louder volume...

Also, if you want more compression from the amp then adjust the Amp block the same as your real Marshall... Then control the volume with the Level control.

I've found with my AX8/Xitone setup that the louder I turn my preset up the less warm it gets. The opposite of a tube amp. Moving off axis certainly helps with that perception and the lack of warmth helps with the tone cutting through the mix. But I know when I crank my Marshall it compresses in a sweet way and always cuts through. I figured the advanced parameters can provide the compression as noted above, rather than using a compressor block. I'll give it a look and see if I can recreate that nirvana.
When you crank the gain or volume on a tube amp, you’re doing more than just increasing the volume. Play with Input Dive and Master Volume to get what you’re looking for.

Back
Top Bottom