Completely New To All Of This.

Hello There AxeFX Users!

I'm currently setting up a recording get up with my friend,
Currently using a PODx3 Recording Direct In into a Macbook Pro.
The tones are Okay, but still leave much to be desired in terms of Top Quality Models etc etc.

Recording into Logic Express,
So as it stands, Going straight from my guitar, Into the pod, straight into the Mac via Usb,

Now, my question is. can i run DI straight into the Macbook using a AxeFX Ultra,
Or is this just not possible?

I've looked up on the Axe-Fx Wiki manual, And i dont really quite understand it, (once again, complete noob in recording lol)

If i can't How would i go about recording using a home setup with the AxeFX?

Many Thanks

I got your back bro. To record directly you need a microphone cable to go into an interface. I think you can use a balanced cable (basically a thicker wire but has a guitar jack) and go into the Di interface. But personally I say use the microphone cables. It sounds awesome. Tu will need an interface though unless you plan on buying axe 2 which has a usb. The standard and ultra do not have usb or firewire.

Also if you use good studio headphones, it may not sound good unless you crank it up. And that isn't exactly a good thing either because of the fletcher munson curve phenomenon. So if youre cool with that, I say get reference speakers if youre gonna go into your MAC bud.

I should be purchasing the FX II Hopefully, and you say a microphone cable,
as in a XLR To 1/4" Jack?

Thanks for your input so far,
Much Appreciated!

I say microphone cable as in a basic microphone cable :lol. Male on one end, female on the other goes out of out balanced left or right (or both for stereo goodness) into an interface. I was just pondering on the unbalanced outs going into the interface Di. I'll try it out and see if that works. That'll have to be in like three to four hours if youre cool with that or unless someone answers first :)

Also if you get a MIDI thing happening or you can use usb to get patches from the forum, you may wanna try some patches by these guys : Clawfinger, Nolly, Gorilla, Soultrash for the heavy stuff. There's others but I can't think off the top of my head.

I think my friend has a cable that basically has a split at one end with 2 Guitar Jacks, and at the other end one single Jack, Would that be sufficient?]

I dont understand why i'd be using a microphone cable to record guitar?

Sorry in advance if i'm being difficult lol.

No problem man although I'm not sure about the split cable. I guess I'm a see it kinda guy. Why you need a microphone cable? Well it seems to be the preferred way since any other way it either doesn't sound as good or its complicated or something. It sounds good is all I know. :lol ill try to take a picture of how I have my standard set up so you can see and maybe that'll clarify. Is that cool man? I'm almost outta work if you got patience

Of course man, Will always be checking back here for help,
Turns out i'm about 600 short of the Axe FX II.

So i've really gotta get on the money making scheme hah.
I'm just not really sure how a microphone cable would plug into my guitar.
Unless its an adapter cable with microphone jack at one end and Guitar jack at the other?

Or do you mean, Plugging my guitar into the AxeFX Guitar jack port, and then running a Microphone cable from the back of the AxeFX into a mac?

I should be purchasing the FX II Hopefully, and you say a microphone cable, as in a XLR To 1/4" Jack?
Thanks for your input so far,
Much Appreciated!

The Axe FX II has a built in USB audio interface with three audio signals from the Axe II, left, right and finally dry for reamping. Plug Axe FX II into Macbook Pro USB port, problem solved.

Of course man, Will always be checking back here for help,
Turns out i'm about 600 short of the Axe FX II.

So i've really gotta get on the money making scheme hah.
I'm just not really sure how a microphone cable would plug into my guitar.
Unless its an adapter cable with microphone jack at one end and Guitar jack at the other?

Or do you mean, Plugging my guitar into the AxeFX Guitar jack port, and then running a Microphone cable from the back of the AxeFX into a mac?

Okay I just found out my camera on my phone isn't working so ill explain in a simple chain.

Guitar---guitar cable---instrument input (aka guitar) in front of axe--- Mic cable plug into left or right balanced out of axe fx (back)---- other half of Mic cable plugs into an interface----- interface plugged into computer

Okay I just found out my camera on my phone isn't working so ill explain in a simple chain.

Guitar---guitar cable---instrument input (aka guitar) in front of axe--- Mic cable plug into left or right balanced out of axe fx (back)---- other half of Mic cable plugs into an interface----- interface plugged into computer

I just got my AxeFX Standard today and am not exactly sure how I'll hook it up to my computer (newer iMac). Your post is helpful.

My friend gave me his old PreSonus Firebox last year but I've never used it. I think he said all I'll need is a firewire cable(?) Sounds like once I get that, the PreSonus will be my DI?

I just got my AxeFX Standard today and am not exactly sure how I'll hook it up to my computer (newer iMac). Your post is helpful.

My friend gave me his old PreSonus Firebox last year but I've never used it. I think he said all I'll need is a firewire cable(?) Sounds like once I get that, the PreSonus will be my DI?

Basically Yes. That's all you need for the interface. A way to connect it to your MAC which I also have. Then you need a DAW. Reaper has been recommended for it being wallet and user friendly. I use pro tools le.

Last edited:
Basically Yes. That's all you need for the interface. A way to connect it to your MAC which I also have. Then you need a DAW. Reaper has been recommended for it being wallet and user friendly. I use pro tools le.

Thanks. As for DAW, will GarageBand work OK at least just to get started?

Thanks. As for DAW, will GarageBand work OK at least just to get started?

Oh yeah man. A DAW is a DAW. There's just a lot of them for specific tastes like vst support, adaptability to other programs or interfaces, etc. Garageband works.

Back
Top Bottom