Completely and totally lost - Yamaha MFC10

Hey all!

Sooooo. I have an MFC10. I've never programmed a midi footswitch before. The manual might as well be in French. I've got my patches nice and organised on the AFX, but I have no idea what I'm doing and how to get the MFC to switch to the patches I want.

BASICALLY, here's what I would like:

Button 01 on MFC -> Patch 501
Button 02 on MFC -> Patch 502
Button 03 on MFC -> Patch 503
Button 04 on MFC -> Patch 504
Button 05 on MFC -> Blank patch for a STFU button.

Button 06 on MFC -> Turn on\off Compressor and Delay effect
Button 07 on MFC -> Turn on\off Chorus effect
Button 08 on MFC -> Turn on\off Phaser effect
Button 09 on MFC -> Turn on\off Trem effect
Button 00 on MFC -> Turn on\off Wah to be used with expression pedal

So I'm guessing I want the MFC in mix mode. I can get the MFC to change patches, but I can't get it to change to the patches I want it to. I haven't even tried looking at turning on\off effect blocks yet. All help is welcome!

UPDATE! Right, so I figured out how to get it to switch to the patch I want. Have no idea still how to get them other buttons to mess with the effects.

I have one of these. I'll help you when i get back from tsking the kids to school. In the meantime, see if you can find an old thread on this pedal. I helped some guy out before

Cheers for your response!

I saw you posting in the other thread :). I followed your instructions to get the presets switching, but it's the effect blocks I'm buggered with.

I'm not great at this stuff, so use very small words. In crayon would be even better!

lol, ok! the mfc is a great pedal, but it looks like they used google translate to write the manual

the first thing you need to do is go to the front panel of the axe fx.

hit I/O and page over to the "ctrl" page

scroll down and you'll see "ext ctrl 1" through to 12.

change the numbers next to these, so they match the external number, so "ext ctrl 1" = 1 and so on. this makes it easier to remember what's what

so a little note about the mfc - it's actually two pedalboards in one. the main pedalboard which you use to select presets and the "function" board (accessed by hitting the "function" button), which can be used to turn individual fx on and off, or select scenes

how you set up the function board is up to you....you can assign a switch with the default bypass cc for an individual effect, which is cool, but means that the switch is then "locked" to that particular effect. better, in my opinion, to assign the switches to external controllers, so that they can not only turn any effect on or off, but also adjust multiple fx and parameters with one hit. i'll explain how to assign those buttons as default switches, external controllers and scene switchers in a minute.

first thing to do is get preset switching on the main board sorted out, which it sounds like you've done. personally, i would program as many of those as you can. the number of patches you use will increase over time and you don't want to have to keep programming buttons as you ass patches. for your STFU preset, you could simply drop an empty preset into a slot, but you could also make that particular preset #100 say and then program a button to select it (so you don't have to keep moving it around as you create more presets). another option would be to program a button on the function board to enable the tuner, which will mute the axe fx and also...you know...turn on the tuner.

pedals - the mfc has one built in pedal and room for four more connected to the back, so let's program those next

hit the "fc edit" button on the mfc. button number 1 will flash - this tells you you're editing pedal number 1, which is the onboard pedal.
status = b1
ctrl = 1
max = 127
min = 0

hit "write" followed by "yes"

so the onboard pedal is now linked to external 1. test it by dropping a volume block into a patch after the cab and before any delays and reverbs. edit the block and hit enter on the "volume" parameter. select "external 1" as the "source". wiggle the pedal and you should see the little ball run up and down the line on the graph. you'll be able to hear you now have control over volume.

sweet :)

now program the other four pedals by doing the same thing, but hitting button number 2 for pedal 2 and so on. everything stays the same, except "ctrl" = 2 for pedal 2 and 3 for pedal 3 etc

you can use that pedal for volume, wah, rotary speed, delay mix etc etc. i always leave mine attached to the volume block in every preset and use a second controller pedal for those other functions

now the function board.

hit the function button and then hit the button you want to program and hit "memory edit"

for externals, do this -
status = b1
ctrl = 5 (for external 5, 6 for external 6 and so on)
max = 127
min = 0
toggle = "on"

write+yes

test this by choosing an effects block in a patch, edit it and then hit enter on the bypass parameter. select "external 5" as the source. hit the pedal, effect turns on and the light above the switch on the pedalboard flashes, hit it again, effect turns off and so does the light

remember that you can assign an external to as many things as you want and each pedal is free to be used however you want in each patch. i have a "lead boost" button on my board, which engages a drive block, engages a null filter with a level boost, adjusts the delay input level and adjusts the reverb input level all at the same time. this is a bit old skool, because now we have scenes, it makes this approach a little redundant, but the advantage is flexibility - just like using a traditional pedalboard, you can turn fx on and off at will, so i can engage my lead boost and then if i want, i can turn on a phaser, chorus, switch to a different delay etc and i don't need to program a different scene for all these different combinations.

if you use all 12 externals,, then you will have two function buttons free on the footpedal. i use those attached to cc35 and cc36 to adjust the volume of scene 1 on the fly (if i need to). because i don't use scenes and i have out 2 set to echo out 1, this gives me instant patch level adjustments

programming scene selection

if you want, you can have the top row of function buttons as externals and the bottom row as scene select buttons

to program scene select buttons...
status = b1
ctrl = 34
max = 0
min = 0
toggle = off

this will select scene 1
for other scenes, adjust the max/min value to be scene number-1
so scene two, max/min will = 1
scene three, max/mix = 2
etc etc

default cc bypass
if you want to tie a switch to a specific effect, then you can
status = b1
ctrl = x
max = 127
min = 0
toggle = on

where x is the cc number for the effect, which you can find in I/O>ctrl and scroll down. you'll see a list of all the fx and their corresponding cc numbers

i think that's everything. let me know how you get on, bro

Rightio, for some reason it didn't work for me. Here's my exact process step by step and maybe you can point out where I'm wrong...

I've gone through the I\O and set ext control to 1, 2, 3 etc.

Objective: Button 6 on the MFC to turn on the delay effect block
On the MFC:
Turn it on
- Press Function
- Press 6 (The light above the button starts flashing)
- Press Memory Edit
- Set Status to b1
- Data\Ctrl to 006
- Max to 127
- Min to 000
- Toggle on
- Press Write (F06 flashes in the display)
- Press yes.

On the AFX:
- Select the Delay (Delay is turned off)
- Choose the Bypass mode block
- Press enter
- Change the Source to External 6
- Save Preset

Back onto the MFC:
- Push button 6 (The light above button 6 flashes, the display reads F06)
- Delay does not turn on
- Push button 6 again (The light above button 6 turns solid. The light above button 1 is now off)

What you've written makes sense, I don't know what I'm missing here. It looks like the MFC isn't co-operating somewhere...

is the axe fx on midi channel 1?

oh shit, sorry.

b1 = midi channel 2 (which is what my axe fx is set to)

if you want to stay on channel 1 (which your axr fx is probably set to) replace b1 with b0

or

change your axe fx to channel 2 in i/o > midi

sorry man!

I forgot to say, the letter stands for the type of midi info sent. So C is program change and B is control change. The number is the midi channel minus 1.

Sweet! Working like a charm now. Thanks for your help!

It's annoying how simple it is, yet how complicated the manual seems to be. I still don't understand it.

Back
Top Bottom