• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Complete Recording Newb questions

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
As most of you know, I don't know my head from my @$$ when it comes to recording, which is why I don't have more clips posted. I've been kicking around picking up a recording interface and I want to know if I've got all the equipment I need. My plan is to purchase an M-Audio Profire 2626 (fairly cheap and seems good). I'm sure my computer is up to the challenge, so I'm not worried there. I have a Phenom II 965 Black Edition running with 4gb (3.12 because of XP) and a couple Firewire ports on the board. Now for the questions:

I have a crappy X-Fi sound card that's a few years old. I've heard that a good interface will also serve as a soundcard, so that is my intent. How and what do I need to accomplish this? Does Firewire work like an external USB soundcard would?

How do I hook up speakers to this thing if I don't use a soundcard? It looks like everything is 1/4" Line outputs or Headphone out. I'd like to be able to use my normal computer speakers for most things and then go out to my Atomic Wedges for recording/mixing. Would I simply just run Output 1 and 2 to my wedges and then run output 3 with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to my speakers?

Where do I plug the Axe into this? Should I got 1/4" into the front instrument panel or in the back into a Mic input? I'm assuming in the back as a line input, but I figured since I'm asking questions I might as well be 100% on everything. :D

The reason I'm going with the 2626 is because I'm indecisive and it's compatible with everything. Whatever software I decide to go with, it'll work. Also, I've been kicking around going Mac for awhile and this would work if I ever make that decision as well. It should be said that I'm not trying to run a studio here either... this would be strictly recording for myself.

Edit: I suppose I should add a link to the device. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

Top Bottom