Complete Beginner at EVERYTHING guitar

Everyone has to start someplace, you obviously have the means to start with very cool gear nothing wrong with that. As for playing you are starting from scratch and how you progress will determine if you continue to play at all regardless of what gear you have.

A great teacher is paramount but having the drive to learn, practice and stay with it is just as important and I think that's where a lot of the comments are coming from. Meaning if you quit you spent a lot of money to have quality gear that you will never use to it's full potential.

Good luck on your endeavor and may you play that perfect sound that's in your head!.

What is an OP in the first place? I've seen that a lot on here and don't know what people are referring to as an OP?
Second of all, I grew up with the mind set of going for the best thing on the market, and then learn on that vs buying piece by piece. Im a 30 year old guy who wants to make this a possible career one day, and its always been instilled in my head at a younger age to buy the very best things in life so you dont have to spend money over and over again replacing the same thing that you could've saved a ton of money at by buying the best thing on the market at that time. So with that being said, I was only trying to achieve that, also save money in the end by buying everything I could at the moment so when that time came around, I already have it.
I just started taking lessons online with a gentleman named Paul Ozz, I found him on Youtube, and thought it would be worth a shot, plus he's the one who did the review on the Titan pickups, and I liked how they sounded so I went and got them installed on my 6 string.
My thoughts were when I first started getting gear, is that I wanted to get everything brand new, and learn from new traditions rather than old traditions of a basic amp, and guitar. I Wanted to have everything at my disposal if that makes any sense? I just wanna learn how to play and become successful at it, to include the lingo people use for guitar, all the way to playing it 100%. I wanna learn all there is to know about it, and then some. So please don't take offense to my approach at this, if I have over stepped my place with things, my bad. I just wanna have all top of the line gear and make something happen.

How do you know how the pickups in the RG sounded if you don't know how to play or know anything about amps, dialing in tone, speakers etc?

How did you know the pickups were the issue and not the way the guitar was setup or your amp settings ?

You just felt like upgrading your guitar before you felt like learning to play the guitar ? That's a bit like saying you put a new high end video card in your PC and asking where the on switch is.

These might sound like harsh realities but they are time learned lessons (that came at a high financial cost) that most of us learned the hard way.

thank you, Im not quitting at all. I was 13 or 15 at the time when my grand father bought me a used Fender Bullet 6 string guitar, and a used dean practice amp.
I at the time obviously had no job to have income come in, and my parents didn't put me in lessons, so I just gave it up. I knew nothing at the time, nor had any info on it available to me at the time.
Im vested in this because this is something I want to achieve in my life. I knew it was something that was going to be challenging, and it was something I wanted to do.

Wow!! Inspiring responses from everyone. Look I'm real, my concerns are real, I wanna learn the basics, I bought the 7,&8 strings simply because I really liked those two guitars. All of my "guitar heros" play or use the AxeFX. I wanted to have top quality gear, and practice/ learn with the best equipment out there. I "mess" around with the 7 and 8 strings because it's neat to play something that professionals use, being the signature model, and the Acquired 8 string.
I'm not trying to offend anyone in here with anything I may have said. I'm not a fake person just getting laughs by the responses, I reached out to Fractal a while back about getting help in certain areas, and they told me to make an account on the forum, jump in and ask questions and seek help there, and that's simply all I'm doing. I wanna master all 3 types of guitars, plus the axe fx, as crazy as that sounds I'm being serious about it.
I only upgraded my pickups in that RG simply because I liked the way they sounded and really wanted to upgrade my guitar at the time.

I agree with others here - start taking lessons from a human - someone you click with and can teach you proper technique and basic theory. That may not be your first teacher, but it is important to find that chemistry - just like finding a boyfriend/girlfriend.
Practice, practice, and more practice. Forget about the 7 and 8 string - you need to learn and the patterns and shapes on 6 strings and how they work and connect and move.
I know you want to " master" everything - but unless you have unlimited amounts of time and no job and no life - you're in for a looooonnnng ride. There are a LOT of people here who are great players who have been playing for 3/4 of their lives who would admit they are far from mastering the instrument. Look at Neil Peart (not a guitarist I know, but an example...) - he is regarded as possibly the best rock drummer who has ever lived and MANY people would say he had mastered his instrument. He came to a point in his life where he said to himself - theres more I could learn here - and started taking lessons. My point here is - even the "masters" are always finding new things to learn and improve on.
And seriously - forget about going crazy with the AXE for now - pick a few presets you like and spend your time PRACTICING your guitar.

Go easy folks.

Welcome to the OP (Original Poster).

The best advice you can get is to keep all those guitars in their cases (or up on the wall!), save one 6 string and learn for a few months. There's an initial compulsion to want to 'go at it all', and you'll get overwhelmed and lose your initial zeal. It will be frustrating as it *seems* easy, but it flat out takes time for you to understand what you're doing, for your fingers to develop muscle memory, develop callouses, etc. I will second the notion put forth that you get a teacher locally. The internet is fine as a supplement, but to learn the proper way to play you should be with someone who can teach you little things like posture, where your thumb should be on the neck, etc. It will eliminate a million bad habits that will take you years to 'unlearn'.

As far as the Axe FX, stick with the presets for now. The vast majority are usable in some way, but invaluable in terms of learning. You'll have questions along the way, but I encourage you to use the 'search' function early and often here. EVERY QUESTION you'll have has been answered here. If you can't find it here or in the manual, then by all means post. Please check Chris' site for video tutorials on a number of subjects: Axe-Fx & Fractal Audio Tutorials | AxeFxTutorials.com

Good luck to you.

R

It amazes me on how people can pick up the guitar and make it look easy to play.
Anyone local here in FL?
I wanna learn!

I would add that getting a half decent acoustic might be good - that will really get your fingers into shape (and all the pain that comes with it initially) - and can be grabbed at any time and anywhere without needing to be in front of the AxeFX/Monitors. You can even bring it to the bathroom (adds nice natural reverb too) .... if you're prone to constipation then I suggest learning a few old Bob Dylan songs and singing along for extra authenticity.:)

Welcome OP. My advice would be for you to listen to the the sound advice given here... since by nature we like to do what we think is best, (which is not usually the way to go when we know nothing about something)
Simplicity is key when starting out. You have to learn the guitar above all. And when you get a decent handle on it, then you can figure out what you like and dislike as far as other guitars, pickups, etc. is concerned.
It's all progressive: crawl, walk, run and when that gets mastered... join a gymnastics club. :lol ... but you get my point.

Also... don't be afraid to ask questions, (here or wherever) when you don't have the answers.

Again... welcome and enjoy your time here! :)

At this point, I'd concentrate on improving on guitar playing first. Use the six string first. Play songs you like. Start on the easy songs then to more challenging ones but keep pushing yourself.

Im new to the forum, playing guitar, effects, and everything associated with guitar.
I however have been infatuated with guitarist and guitars ever since I was first able to listen to Ozzy Osbourne, ever since then, I've been a die hard fan of all things guitar. I picked it up when I was younger, then put it down due to lack of lessons, and time. Then just recently I've picked it back up 15 years later, (Life Evolved for me). I currently have no experience at playing guitar, but have just started taking lessons online, and trying to see where things go from there.
I have over the years of not playing or crafting my ultimate goal in life, have been educating myself somewhat with book knowledge on guitars.
I recently just purchased several pieces of high end gear, including guitars, a pedal, AxeFX2 XL+, and some other odds and end things.
My current gear consists of the following:

Ibanez Komrad20 (2014 Brian Head Welch 7 string guitar/Black & White Splatter)
Ibanez RG6003FM 6 String guitar with pickups that I upgraded to the Dimarzio Titan Neck and Bridge
Ibanez RG2228GK 8 String Guitar (Galaxy Black) Mint condition 2008 model
Fractal Audio AxeFX2 XL+
Fractal Audio Cab Lab+Plugin software
Ibanez Jemini Distortion Pedal
2EA- JBL LSR305 studio monitors

I purchased all of this stuff to start learning to play on higher end stuff since I was going to be doing this for a couple of years, I wanted to make sure I had gear to last my entire journey of guitar playing.
I truly need help and support on understanding everything guitar related, as well as everything AxeFX related. I wanna really learn all there is to know about everything guitar.
Like I said before Im completely new at all of this so bare with me over the course of my learning curve. Any and all help is openly appreciated!

Thanks!!

I'll give you $50 for the Jemini when you start selling stuff after this initial crazy newb energy vibe you have wears off.... your mastercard bill shows up, you have your first couple of lessons trying to learn a few cowboy chords, and the subsequent reality sets in. I wouldn't mind trying one of those out.

Last edited:
I grew up with the mind set of going for the best thing on the market, and then learn on that vs buying piece by piece. Im a 30 year old guy who wants to make this a possible career one day, and its always been instilled in my head at a younger age to buy the very best things in life so you dont have to spend money over and over again replacing the same thing that you could've saved a ton of money at by buying the best thing on the market at that time. So with that being said, I was only trying to achieve that, also save money in the end by buying everything I could at the moment so when that time came around, I already have it.
I just started taking lessons online with a gentleman named Paul Ozz, I found him on Youtube, and thought it would be worth a shot, plus he's the one who did the review on the Titan pickups, and I liked how they sounded so I went and got them installed on my 6 string.
My thoughts were when I first started getting gear, is that I wanted to get everything brand new, and learn from new traditions rather than old traditions of a basic amp, and guitar. I Wanted to have everything at my disposal if that makes any sense? I just wanna learn how to play and become successful at it, to include the lingo people use for guitar, all the way to playing it 100%. I wanna learn all there is to know about it, and then some. So please don't take offense to my approach at this, if I have over stepped my place with things, my bad. I just wanna have all top of the line gear and make something happen.

First, let me say i'm confused! Spoiled human being? Lucky bastard? Can't quite figure that out from here. Whatever, I think that the approach of getting the best that you can get is not really the way to go when it comes to musical instruments and gear when you are a noob. You talk about not having to spend money over and over again to replace stuff that wasn't best quality first but, what if you can't play guitar ? you own 6000$ plus worth of gear and haven't started playing yet. The safe move was to invest something around 600$ (not 6000$) on a decent 6 string guitar and start with lessons. When you know that you dont suck at it, only then its time to maybe invest into some more gear ( an amp? ) and learn at a slow and steady pace, what takes years to learn about guitar playing, amp sound and the use of effects. Because, as you mentionned : You got to learn from the old traditions before you move to the next paradigm. That is my personnal opinion and, you should not get discouraged by it, but , as others have said in the post, go for lessons and use only the 6 strings for at least 2-3 years, the time for your brain and your fingers to integrate basic knowledge. good luck with your developpement

I started on a crummy Yamaha acoustic at age 14, after having taken piano lessons for nearly 5 years. After a year, I inherited my dad's wonderful Guild F50. That was a huge step in right direction.

Then, at age 16, I got a crappy electric from a Sears catalog. Then, my 2nd electric was from a pawn shop.

It wasn't until college that I got a decent electric, and I worked all summer for it. Still had a crummy amp and stuff, but I just kept playing.

It was in college that I got serious about guitar, and am a professional classical guitarist and teacher. Years later, I'm married, have kids, blah, blah, maybe a little jaded about the whole teaching thing, even though I still strongly desire to do it again.

The key is practice. Everything else comes after that. Good gear is nice, but it's your hands and mind (along with dedication and desire) that make the difference. You have TONS of great resources that weren't available even 10 years ago. Use them.

Learn to sight read (notes, tab, and lead sheets eventually), play chords (and constantly expand your chord vocabulary), learn to strum well, practice technique, don't skimp on the scales and studies!, use a metronome and eventually backing tracks, study at least some theory. Most importantly, PLAY! And, play with others.

Imagine how expensive it would have been if the OP wanted to be a Formula-1 driver ;)

Last edited:
^^^ True.

Do start learning how to effectively use the Axe FX. Much of it is plug and play now, but there's loads of advanced capability that's really only limited by your imagination.

There is an old saying that goes something like " you gotta pay your dues to play the blues." meaning you have to suffer for your art. You haven't suffered enough, sell all that gear. Get a crappy Stella acoustic with the strings an inch off the fretboard and play a G chord until your fingers bleed. Just kidding , sort of.
Would I have wanted to have all the best gear money could buy when I started playing ? Sure that would have been great , but then again maybe not so much as I'd probably still suck until I put in the huge amounts of time it takes to become a musician.
I look around my basement studio at all the gear and guitars I've acquired over the years and they all tell stories , stories of my life. Tales of pain and loss and joy. Its like you have all this great gear but it hasn't lived yet.

VBM - Sorry to get all philosophical on ya OP good luck now dig in and start practicing !

everything is getting interesting. a little steep at points but understandable.
Let me re-impose my position in life.
I'm in the Telecommunications field, I'm married, have a house, have 2 kids, and 1 on the way.
I'm the sole provider here at the house, I pay my bills like everyone else does, and when I have extra money I spend it on my lifetime hobby of guitars, etc...
Everything I've bought was never handed down to me easily, or given to me. I worked for everything I've got now.
Now that's clear and out of the way. I completely understand starting slow and building my craft from the floor up.
For the record, there hasn't been any luck on my side, Im not a spoiled bastard, none of the above mentioned describes me.
I would like to have someone here in Florida that I can get lessons from, and progress with, if thats possible?

everything is getting interesting. a little steep at points but understandable.
Let me re-impose my position in life.
I'm in the Telecommunications field, I'm married, have a house, have 2 kids, and 1 on the way.
I'm the sole provider here at the house, I pay my bills like everyone else does, and when I have extra money I spend it on my lifetime hobby of guitars, etc...
Everything I've bought was never handed down to me easily, or given to me. I worked for everything I've got now.
Now that's clear and out of the way. I completely understand starting slow and building my craft from the floor up.
For the record, there hasn't been any luck on my side, Im not a spoiled bastard, none of the above mentioned describes me.
I would like to have someone here in Florida that I can get lessons from, and progress with, if thats possible?

Really no need for you to justify yourself. If you do your homework ahead of time and come with questions that show you have put in the effort, there will a multitude of members coming to provide guidance.

The fact you have good gear should be irrelevant and as you surely know, all that good gear won't save you from putting in the effort to become good at your craft, so ignore the negative and focus on the positive aspects of your new endeavour, and this is important, have fun in the process.

Back
Top Bottom