Compiling A List of Great Music Created With PRS Guitars.

la szum

Axe-Master
First, this is not an anti-PRS thread. :)

I was just curious about all the great music created, recorded, and performed with PRS guitars.

When I was reflecting on this question myself the list was pretty damn short. Like, sadly so. I get it,
PRS has not been around as long as Fender or Gibson, as they had a 30-40 year headstart---give or take.
That being said, I still don't see/hear/notice a lot of music being made with PRS guitars, even though
they are insanely popular among a certain sector of guitar players. Why is that? Thoughts?

I wonder if PRS lacks the distinctive characteristics of something like an SG or a Telecaster? Are PRS guitars
a bit like the McMansions of the housing world that popped up all across the swelling suburbs of America
in the past 30 years? Big, shiny houses, but without any of the uniqueness and/or historical character and
appeal of even a 1200 sq ft. Bungalow?

Just seems that there is a bit of disconnect between the idea of consuming guitars versus using guitars as
tools of creativity and inspiration. Or I am missing something utterly obvious that someone else sees and
I don't???

Here's a few examples I can think of off the top of my head (great is a matter of opinion, so YMMV).

I do agree that PRS doesn't have an immediately identifiable signature sound. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that they are designed to be modern interpretaitons of vintage designs with an emphasis on versatility.

Last edited:
Names people know (who arent necessarily my bag, some are)
  • linkin park
  • emil werstler
  • puddle of mudd
  • staind
  • a wack of country artists
  • Orianthi
  • Kittie
  • Opeth
  • P.O.D.
  • thousand foot krutch
  • Rush/alex lifeson iirc
  • bernie marsden
  • Joe Walsh
  • the black dahlia murder ryan knight era
  • all that remains (i think)
  • anthrax - danny spitz
  • periphery mark holcomb
  • good charlotte
  • sum 41 dave baksh

Names people know (who arent necessarily my bag, some are)
  • linkin park
  • emil werstler
  • puddle of mudd
  • staind
  • a wack of country artists
  • Orianthi
  • Kittie
  • Opeth
  • P.O.D.
  • thousand foot krutch
  • Rush/alex lifeson iirc
  • bernie marsden
  • Joe Walsh
  • the black dahlia murder ryan knight era
  • all that remains (i think)
  • anthrax - danny spitz
  • periphery mark holcomb
  • good charlotte
  • sum 41 dave baksh

I had no idea about Dan Spitz playing PRS; I can't even picture that. I eternally see him wearing awesome jams playing a RR Jackson with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it. In comparison, a PRS feels way too grown up haha.

I came so close to buying a USA made Custom 24 several years ago: The tone was great, the feel was great, and the tuning stability on their trem was great; it was a USA model. I agree they don't fit into either camp of Fender or Gibson, but straddle both. I think the scale length of most models is such a testimony that fact. I've been wanting to try a PRS again, but upper fret access became a huge thing for me at some point, and I honestly can't remember how it was on the Custom. This is making me want to go try one again and see how it feels.

Dan spitz has a tmnt prs i believe.

Yeah; perfectly placed, I just found this:

e60ed3c3264c1d917aa3538e6fceb5ca.jpg

I've never listened to Tremonti, but I love that model; it's one of the only guitars I've ever seen with both a trem and a Les Paul / SG style control panel. That's inching toward my ideal, right there. Sorry for these derails!

I've never listened to Tremonti, but I love that model; it's one of the only guitars I've ever seen with both a trem and a Les Paul / SG style control panel. That's inching toward my ideal, right there. Sorry for these derails!
Tremonti's first solo cd was pretty cool. Everything after it hasn't really done much for me.

The PRS Tremonti though is a badass guitar. I've had 2 or 3 of them and loved them. The Tremonti pickups are also great too imo.

Spits never recorded anything with his PRS's for anthrax he had them when they did there reunion tour years back.

As far as recordings with PRS
Sevendust
Silverchair
Later Limp Bizkit
Rollins Band
Primus
Really pretty much all the 90's was PRS into a Dual/Triple Rec for the most part

I can’t really name them because I’m not a fan of the contemporary Country scene, but from what I have read many of the studio guys in Nashville are using PRS on much of the contemporary country recordings that make lots of $$. They’re able to get the traditional twang and more with much better reliability.

Santana, John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, Rich Williams and Alex Lifeson is all I need to consider them legit.

First, this is not an anti-PRS thread. :)

I was just curious about all the great music created, recorded, and performed with PRS guitars.

When I was reflecting on this question myself the list was pretty damn short. Like, sadly so. I get it,
PRS has not been around as long as Fender or Gibson, as they had a 30-40 year headstart---give or take.
That being said, I still don't see/hear/notice a lot of music being made with PRS guitars, even though
they are insanely popular among a certain sector of guitar players. Why is that? Thoughts?

I wonder if PRS lacks the distinctive characteristics of something like an SG or a Telecaster? Are PRS guitars
a bit like the McMansions of the housing world that popped up all across the swelling suburbs of America
in the past 30 years? Big, shiny houses, but without any of the uniqueness and/or historical character and
appeal of even a 1200 sq ft. Bungalow?

Just seems that there is a bit of disconnect between the idea of consuming guitars versus using guitars as
tools of creativity and inspiration. Or I am missing something utterly obvious that someone else sees and
I don't???
You might be missing something. The one difference between the “McMansions” is anyone with any construction experience can immediately point out what pieces of overpriced crap they are…built fast with barely quality components. I don’t think you can do that with a PRS.

Update:
Another analogy would be with cars. The cars of today blow away the cars of the hey day and are driven more, but we still lust after a 69 Z28 or 70 Hemi Cuda or 70 Boss Mustang…and all the other super muscle cars. Well I do anyway.

To your point though, there is definitely a stigma that got placed on PRSi (undeserving IMO) that still persists. I think it was because they started to come into their own when the kiddies were having a hard time realizing life is what you make of it and mommy and daddy are only a small part of your life and your potential. So the “2nd punk” scene “Grunge” was becoming the new fashion and of course they had to reject beauty and quality because then they would be found out for the posers that they were. It’s taken awhile for PRS to shake that off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom