Compatibility: FBV MkII Express Footswitch?

webmaestro

Sorry, forum search isn't doing me any favors, so I just have to ask ya'll. I have a Line 6 FBV MkII Express (the little one) footswich lying around, and I'd love to use it with my AFXII if possible... as the MFC-101 is too expensive for me. Anyone had success using ANY Line 6 pedalboards with your AFXII?

I'm searching online for info and coming up with a big goose egg, and haven't had any luck so far getting it to work. The power (on the footswitch) doesn't even come on when plugged into my AFXII. That's probably my answer right there, but thought I'd see if you all know something that I don't.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's a VERY BAD IDEA to connect anything but the MFC to the foot controller jack on the back. The only way Line 6 gear is going to talk to your Axe-FX is over a standard protocol like MIDI. Both the FBV and MFC are using their own proprietary communication protocols. Long story short, it won't work and it's possible to damage the equipment on either end by connecting incompatible devices.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's a VERY BAD IDEA to connect anything but the MFC to the foot controller jack on the back. The only way Line 6 gear is going to talk to your Axe-FX is over a standard protocol like MIDI. Both the FBV and MFC are using their own proprietary communication protocols. Long story short, it won't work and it's possible to damage the equipment on either end by connecting incompatible devices.

Thanks for the info. After my post, I continued to research and though I didn't find any info regarding Line 6 footswitches per se, it looks like I have some other options from other manufacturers. So, I'll look into those instead.

Your best bet is to pick up a PodXT live or similar and use the midi out of the Pod to drive the AxeFx midi in.

Floor Board -> Pod -> midi out -> AxeFx midi in.

I'm guessing preset changes would be about the extent of it though.

I know a lot of folks are using the Behringer FS1010 foot switch. It's inexpensive. You will need to do some (relatively easy) programming to get it to work. There would probably be help available from the good people here in the forum. Best of luck.

Meh, I just went ahead and added myself to the waiting list for an MFC-101. After doing a ton of research, I decided that none of the cheapo controllers will do everything I want (most importantly, scene switching... beyond just simple up/down through scenes).

It's okay. It's a hell of a lot of controller, but I'm getting more and more involved in music, and will probably start playing live soon. Being on the waiting list will give me some time to save up the $$ (unless, of course, I get my coupon/number tomorrow... heh).

Actually these comments are incorrect. The MKII has a usb out and includes a software utility to control any midi device (albeit, it must be hooked to the pc). I was using it to control my Guitar Rig and it worked flawlessly, I will configure it for my Axe II shortly.

Meh, I just went ahead and added myself to the waiting list for an MFC-101. After doing a ton of research, I decided that none of the cheapo controllers will do everything I want (most importantly, scene switching... beyond just simple up/down through scenes).

It's okay. It's a hell of a lot of controller, but I'm getting more and more involved in music, and will probably start playing live soon. Being on the waiting list will give me some time to save up the $$ (unless, of course, I get my coupon/number tomorrow... heh).

just curious, but what exactly do you want to do that the FCB1010 cannot accomplish? I have a LOT of functionality via a stock eprom FCB1010: scene switching, IA switches, tap tempo, tuner engage, etc. Certainly there are compromises compared to the MFC and other higher end MIDI pedal boards out there, and if I had the need for the MFC, I'd drop the $$$ and go that route, too. Just saying that the FCB1010 is not a lightweight performer if you fully understand its capabilities and are a bit creative with programming. Still the best bang-for-buck controller out there IMO.

as for the line6 MKII pedal, joesatch is correct. You CAN use it with a computer and utility program, but for live that's just a bit of unnecessary baggage when there are other pedals available.

Actually these comments are incorrect. The MKII has a usb out and includes a software utility to control any midi device (albeit, it must be hooked to the pc). I was using it to control my Guitar Rig and it worked flawlessly, I will configure it for my Axe II shortly.
did you ever get this to work with axe fx? I have one and would like to map midi messages somehow to my axe-fx -3 or axe-edit software

Back
Top Bottom