Comparison sound

still not pulled the plug on a kemper, ax8 or fractal fx III as quite a decision to make and there’s a big difference in price between the 3 units.the question I have is that i know the kemper distortion tones have their own same kind of sound when using a 2x12 speaker cab but is this also the same with the fractal units.i know the kemper is a profiler and the fractal a modeller. Really want the axe III but it’s a lot of money. Many thanks

still not pulled the plug on a kemper, ax8 or fractal fx III as quite a decision to make and there’s a big difference in price between the 3 units.the question I have is that i know the kemper distortion tones have their own same kind of sound when using a 2x12 speaker cab but is this also the same with the fractal units.i know the kemper is a profiler and the fractal a modeller. Really want the axe III but it’s a lot of money. Many thanks
Not sure what you’re asking.

Not sure what you’re asking.
Do the fractal distortion patches all sound samey if using a 2x12 speaker cab instead of a flat response speaker. I know the kemper patches all have a distinct sound or flavour when using a speaker cab and with the speaker cab emulation off.does the fractal put its own tone right the way through all the individual presets

When you consider that the speaker cab plays a huge role in how any amp/profiler/modeler sounds, then it's not too unusual for there to be a certain sameness from one preset to another. That said, the amps modeled by the Fractal systems each have a distinctive tone. But running them all through the same cab, some of those differences are masked.

When you consider that the speaker cab plays a huge role in how any amp/profiler/modeler sounds, then it's not too unusual for there to be a certain sameness from one preset to another. ....But running them all through the same cab, some of those differences are masked.

I agree! I almost went right back in and added that running everything through one guitar cab certainly colors all sounds going through it, but I dropped off.

Do the fractal distortion patches all sound samey if using a 2x12 speaker cab instead of a flat response speaker. I know the kemper patches all have a distinct sound or flavour when using a speaker cab and with the speaker cab emulation off.does the fractal put its own tone right the way through all the individual presets
Even if you use different tube amps with the same cabinet, there is a sameness there as well. Not totally, but it has the same signature.

Even if you use different tube amps with the same cabinet, there is a sameness there as well. Not totally, but it has the same signature.

Agreed.

I originally owned the power amp version of the Kemper and ran it through a Mesa 2 x 12 cab. Sounded great, but no matter what amp you dialed up, the Mesa flavor/color was added to the amp. I switched to FRFR and found it provided more options in terms of tone types/ranges. Real cab vs. FRFR is personal preference, of course, so it depends on your needs/wants.

I had the AX8, XL+, and moved to the III when it came out. Loved the footprint and quality of the 8, but since I only play at home, I sold the 8 to get the XL+ for the increased power and options. Once I got the 3, I sold the Kemper and XL+. It's that much better IMO.

If you can swing the purchase, I seriously doubt you would regret purchasing the 3.

Each amp sounds distinct and the feel is amazing. The cab will sound the same of course, and that’s a major factor of tone. But many people use that setup with success and variation.

Yeah, I guess I didn't really answer your question...sorry.

The difference I found was in the controls.

The Kemper amp controls are general in nature; meaning they are not designed to react in the same way as they would on the real version of the amp you are using.

Fractal amp controls react the same way on the amp you have dialed up as they would on the physical amp.

So in terms of using a cab, yes the cab will be the same from amp to amp on either of the systems. To me, the amps in the 3 are much better quality. Since they respond the same as the real version of the amp, you are able to get a more distinct amp sound out of the Fractal products when using the same cab.

There are many threads on this discussing real cab vs. FRFR, etc.

Hope that is more helpful.

I play through a mesa 4x12 loaded century vintage speakers (the discontinued neodymium ones) and things that sound appropriate through a mesa can sound great through it. I have no reference point for a lot of the amps so I can't say of they sound accurate or not. My mesa patches are amazing to my ears. I've delved into marshall amp models recently and they sound great as well. There is a distinct difference between the amps: the distortion is different, the eq is different, the response and tightness are different. The only constant is my cab. It imparts a flavor into everything. That means models of combo amps probably sound wrong, and anything that is usually paired with a v30 sounds wrong. Again, only wrong if you have a reference point.

I use a 2x12 loaded with G12T75 or V30 for live situation with my AxeFx and a matrix GT1000 between.

This is a way to have more constant sound and a better « guitar amp feeling » on stage, but the amp used in the Axe will radically change the sound, like a real head amp.

And just in case, the character of the guitar is also very well respected.

...That means models of combo amps probably sound wrong, and anything that is usually paired with a v30 sounds wrong. Again, only wrong if you have a reference point.

"Wrong" is a kind of subjective term. Maybe "accurate" is more fitting. When I was playing for a living, my rig was a 60 watt Music Man combo amp into a Music Man 4x12 cabinet, or at times I'd run a silverface Deluxe Reverb into the same cab. Didn't necessarily sound like a combo amp anymore, but it still sounded awesome. I find I sometime do similar things with the AFX, where I'm running a tweed this or that into a 2x12 or 4x12 cab block. I love having all the options the AFX provides.

I use a 2x12 loaded with G12T75 or V30 for live situation with my AxeFx and a matrix GT1000 between.

This is a way to have more constant sound and a better « guitar amp feeling » on stage, but the amp used in the Axe will radically change the sound, like a real head amp.

And just in case, the character of the guitar is also very well respected.

My exact experience as well.

Back
Top Bottom