Comparison of AX8 10.0rc to AXIII soundwise?

The Axe-Fx III will still have a big advantage here in terms of the resolution, depth, and detail of the amp modeling. Remember, the III is full blown Ares modeling, not just "some" ported elements. (Nothing against the AX8, which is still an incredible product at less than half the price!) A typical sound clip would really not do this comparison justice, but when you switch between the two units in a good listening environment, you will definitely feel and hear it. A typical player's response might be even greater than that voiced by many who have switched from the Axe-Fx II to the Axe-Fx III and found the III so enjoyable.

I can probably make a demo of this since I have both units! My AX8 has been acting a little funny with buttons turning on and buttons not working but I guess maybe that's just from over use.. still should be able to do it. I gotta read up a bit on the Ares to see what it is I need to compare!

A typical player's response might be even greater than that voiced by many who have switched from the Axe-Fx II to the Axe-Fx III and found the III so enjoyable.
Why would someone respond more positively going from AX8 to III than if they were going from II to III? Are you inferring that the Axe-Fx II's amp modeling is slightly better than the AX8?

No, you misunderstood me. If someone thinks the difference from the II to the III is impressive, someone might think the difference from the AX8 to the III is even greater.

No, you misunderstood me. If someone thinks the difference from the II to the III is impressive, someone might think the difference from the AX8 to the III is even greater.
Right, but why though? Isn't the AX8 and II supposed to have the same amp modeling?

Nobody has both?
The AX8 is great...I'm still using mine live and I can tell a difference with the new firmware updates...esp on the fenders. They seem more responsive, def more like the III. BUT the III is completely different to my ears. The twin sound is like that good old fender twin that you never want to get rid of. Both do the job.
For 1100 bucks, the AX8 is more than worth it.
The biggest issue I run into with the AX8 is cpu. I like to have 1-3 presets I use ( a fender based one, a dirty one, freidman, marshall etc, and acoustic one). I very often run into cpu issues, mostly with the fender one.
The one main thing to consider with both, to me, is the CPU, not so much the sound. I am going to hedge that if you heard me play live or on a recording you couldn't tell which one I was using. With all the sound that goes into it, unless you are side by side comparing, you may not miss the III - if you never had it. The ax8 is really that good,more than enough.
With the III you get it all. Two amps at once, all kinds of stomp options, the newest technology...a big seller, and enough CPU and the best sound.
I will add with the II I had almost as much CPU issues, not as many, but enough to where I sold the II and kept the AX8 with the III, purely for flexibility.
If I was a "stay at home" guitarist comparing 1100 to 3000 (the III and a FC) it kind of is a no brainer what to buy.
If I gigged or recorded, even if once in a while - no question the III.

Back
Top Bottom