Comparison clips: Friedman Runt v AX8 Friedman v Helix Placater

Random Hero

Inspired
So these are all running through the same IR - an Ownhammer take on a Marshall 4x12 loaded with 25w Greenbacks, mic'd with an SM57. It's 57-05 for anybody wondering. I've put some screenshots below of the settings on each of the modellers, and the amp. It's interesting how differently the Fractal and Line 6 models dial in.

Signal flow was; Runt hooked up to the Helix in 4CM, so you're effectively hearing the Runt's preamp into the IR, the Helix's Placater model into the IR, and then just straight into the AX8, with the same IR loaded there too. It's just the same parts played in to a looper and put in front of whichever I'm using. I tried to equalise everything as much as I could - the amp was the benchmark, and they were trying to be matched to that.

Love to know some opinions, and guesses as to which is which and so on.

2Hvf0c8.png

KLCcOEh.png

ibsnGMw.png

rYN6VWE.png

GrnfvYQ.jpg

My guess is AX8 first then the Helix then the Runt 20 last? I used to have a Runt and it was a very bright amp.
They all sound pretty good though.

How is the arrangement in the track (maybe haven't seen)?

First and second one sound really close, the third one's a bit muddy at first, and the cleans seem to be a little thin on the second and third one. First one sounds more on the edge of breakup.

They're actually jumbled up. Not the same order every time. I can do one like that if it's easier, but this way demonstrated the similarities, I felt.

How is the arrangement in the track (maybe haven't seen)?

First and second one sound really close, the third one's a bit muddy at first, and the cleans seem to be a little thin on the second and third one. First one sounds more on the edge of breakup.
Which one do you think the muddy one is?

Muddy one would be the L6, from my oppinion. Clue: a look at the EQ pictute of the L6, or so to say - the more effort you had to take there for matching.

Muddy one would be the L6, from my oppinion. Clue: a look at the EQ pictute of the L6, or so to say - the more effort you had to take there for matching.

Ok cool. Actually, the Line 6 was far easier to match. It was almost there right away. The Fractal took more time.

My complete guesses, based mostly on which sounded the similar, then sticking with it across all three.

AX8 - AMP - L6
AMP - L6 - AX8
L6 - AX8 - AMP

However, based on you saying the AX8 was harder to match, perhaps swap the L6 and AX8 in my guesses above. My selection bias told me the L6 was the one that sounded "different" each comparison.

Yeah...with the same IR it can be hard to guess nowadays with many of the core amp models across a few of the better units. Especially when the person is familiar enough with each unit. Feel & a certain depth to the models can certainly be different though, as well as response to vol knob adjustments.

Good stuff is happening in the modeling world though for sure.....& we will continue to benefit!

Looking at the pictures, there are two little things in the cab blocks, that affect the tones. Saying this because the IR should be identical in both, but those settings do make little difference.

1. AX8 is ultra-res and Helix 1024
2. AX8 has high cut at 10kHz and Helix at 20kHz

But the clips do sound good!

Great!
On my iPad it’s almost impossible to hear a significant difference.
I’m looking forward to you solving this comparison!

Seems like high cut is on at 10k for the AX8, but there is no high cut on the Helix.

Could that have made a difference in the results?

I think they all sound great...minor differences noted but none that can't be remedied if wanted. Love this amp!

Back
Top Bottom