Comparing Palmer UR IR's to TV Mix

barhrecords

Axe-Master
I am running a signal generator into a preset that has a cab block and a straight line out.

Then I'm looking at the difference of the cab and test signal.

I found the Palmer IR's to look like pretty simple filters.

The TV Mix Cab, in comparison, shows all the jagged response of a speaker.

TV Cab:

AxeFxIITVMixCab_zps8054612c.jpg

Palmer Bright:

AxeFxIIPalmerBrightUR_zps4bf38140.jpg

Palmer Mellow:

AxeFxIIPalmerMellowUR_zps0b10ca66.jpg

Palmer Normal:

AxeFxIIPalmerNormalUR_zps397ebd44.jpg

Last edited:
I can see why people are liking the Palmer for trying to get that "cab" sound from full range monitors. Though it looks like a shelving eq could get very close to this with no issue.

Not to derail, but what program are you using to show that EQ curve?

BlueCat Audio FreqAnalyst Multi: Welcome to Blue Cat Audio - Professional Audio Plugins (VST, RTAS, AAX, Audio Unit, DirectX)

I really dig this plug for mixing because you can overlay multiple tracks in your DAW and see where the frequencies are clashing or not.

Palmers are just simple filters.

I can see why people are liking the Palmer for trying to get that "cab" sound from full range monitors. Though it looks like a shelving eq could get very close to this with no issue.

Yeah after seeing the amplitude response, I was thinking that a Filter or PEQ block would be very similar to using the Cab block with one of these Palmer IR's.

Palmers are just simple filters.
Maybe so, but personally I like this instead of CAB IR's because this feels more all around as I'm constantly giging and rehearsing through different cabs. So when connecting to FOH, I know what to get despite what ampblock or style I'm playing. This one feels uncoloroued and close to what the amp sould actually sound. Maybe I'm wrong.
It would be great if FA made their own "cam simulated" cab block. Since it's just simple filters, you should solve that during a coffe break ;)

Back
Top Bottom