Comparing Genres for Mastering Loudness

RackAddict

Previous handle "Djenter"
Im fairly new to mastering ive just finished a bunch of courses on production and mixing and starting up some mastering course. I know a good mix helps maximize loudness and not just the mastering, but does anyone know why hip hop, pop, and electronic songs sound louder than metal ones do on youtube? Ive compared everything from the loudest tracks i could find like Deftones Diamond Eyes and Ramstein Sonne and all the way to a bunch of hip hop and electronic and pop and it seems that the metal selections are not as percievably loud. is there something limiting headroom? Or is sidechain compression used less in the rock and metal genres than the more electronic genres?

Just curious if they are teaching loudness = good or dynamic range = good these days?

I’d hope not. The loudness wars have been over for several years, it’s just taking some time for everyone to catch on. I chuckle every time I read the words “Youtube compression” these days.

The OP is going to have to take the last 20 or so years out of the equation in comparisons. It’d be more appropriate to compare a 2022 mix to a 1995 mix than it would be to compare it to a 2010 mix.

The former were all recorded at 96k.
I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you but a higher sample rate than 44.1k has nothing to do with perceived loudness. Where did you get your degree? Linked In learning? 😆

I just spit coffee all over myself.
True Canadian Heroes
images

think he was joshin ya
Ya he really was trying too hard wasn't he. Too bad for him it was pretty clear to those who happen to be on point that I use higher sample rates to minimize aliasing issues.

But thats ok if he isn't exactly the smartest cookie in the batch to understand that. Not everyone can be. LaSzum seems like another real masterpiece as well.

Last edited:
I learned everything I know from Rick Beato and Rhett Shull. They’re experts with years and years of experience.

Ya going deep into that music theory is really gonna help you get those mixes sounding clean. Keep analyzing that blues scale, you'll get there eventually.

Back
Top Bottom