Comparing 8 impulse responses for Silverface Twin

mistermikev

Experienced
There are lots of 'heavy' guitar comparisons out there but not as many compares for more moderate sounds... at least not that I have witnessed. So I thought it might be fun, and it might teach me something, to compare and share.

first off, I'll say that I think one could be perfectly happy with the stock irs (clearly I have more irs than brains). so my emphasis has been less on improving, and more on expanding variety (he said moron).
I'm partial to the jensen C12k so I tried to line up a similar cab/speaker/sound from several sources. They are far from exactly matched... I just went to my fav folders for each and tried to pick the one I liked best with this patch.

This is not a "which brand is best" contest... I prefer to steer clear of that. I'm more interested in "of the one's I've selected... what is your impression?"

Eight Impulses Compared

My top three, in order, were 7, 6, 1. I'm mainly a Deluxe Reverb guy, but for IRs I like evenly balanced once with just a little bump in the highs around 1-2k.

thank you for responding poparad. I like your ears because I'm not sure what, but i've either snagged some presets or some irs from you on here. also... that would be celestion, ownhammer and (factory) ml sound (in your order) which are certainly among the most respected in the collection.

below I've added the order of appearance (1-8), the time (0-1:14) and brand.

1 0:00 MLSound(factory)
2 0:11 Redwires
3 0:21 Lancaster
4 0:31 ZombieCabs
5 0:42 3Sigma
6 0:52 Ownhammer
7 1:03 Celestion
8 1:14 Choptones

thank you for responding poparad. I like your ears because I'm not sure what, but i've either snagged some presets or some irs from you on here. also... that would be celestion, ownhammer and (factory) ml sound (in your order) which are certainly among the most respected in the collection.

Interesting... I've been using the OwnHammer Deluxe Reverb for a long time as my #1. Curious that I picked the OwnHammer Twin as #2. I recently picked up my first set of Celestion IRs: the G12T-75 collection. I saw someone selling one of Allan Holdsworth's hand-built 2x12 studio cabs loaded with those speakers so I figured I'd give it a try and I'm really digging the tone (oddly, not for AH-style music but for my wedding band/cover band stuff).

Which specific Celestions are you using in the example?

I'm a big fan of the G12T-75 for cleans (also for scooped heavier stuff). I have a mid 80s jcm 800 cab and have some from early 90s in some 2x12's. they kind of get a lot of hate, and admittedly not ideal for everything... but tons of lows and shimmering highs.

Seems that capturing this speaker must be hard because many of the packs that feature it do not sound good to me (maybe their using newer ones? I've heard they are not great).
I think celestion g12t-75 captures are really great. I'm not crazy about them for super heavy stuff but for cleans(and overdrive) I'm really liking them too.

In this example I'm using the celestion suhr hedgehog with g12-65s. just picked it up the other day and really liking it.
oh is superior for heavy imo, and has some great cleans, but cel has def earned a spot right next to them for me.

Back
Top Bottom