Comp vs multicomp? (Solo Dallas Schaffer Replica)

are both compressors before the amp block? Post #5 confused me a little in that regard

Yeah before the amp.

It's mimicking the wireless system: guitar -> wireless transmitter (compresses the signal to conserve bandwidth) - - - wireless receiver (undoes the compression by applying expansion) -> amp

So putting a compressor and expander in series before the amp is adding a little something something like the wireless does.

You can't. The Multi Comp is a multi-band compressor. It is three compressors in parallel each operating on a band of frequencies.

I have the schaffer replica, and it definitely do some magic with the sound, at stage volume it sustains forever, even if you turn down you volume pot to 5, som my Q is, does it do the same in front of ax-fx or ax8, it`s boost quiet a lot + 30db, can those handle it

The Dynamics knob in the Amp block does the same thing as the Dynamics mode of the compressors so you can save a block that way.

Tried the 2 comp method and it works really good. Now I would like to save that one block. But I'm unsure which amp knob you mean. In Axe Edit I see "Dynamic Prescence", "Dynamic Depth" and "Preamp Dynamics". I guess it is the last one, isn't it?

The dynamic controls are the parameters in the Axe Fx that work like the real knobs on the Schaffer pedal? If so, the first comp block is the input and the second is the output knob? Or do the level controls work like the real knobs?

The dynamic controls are the parameters in the Axe Fx that work like the real knobs on the Schaffer pedal? If so, the first comp block is the input and the second is the output knob? Or do the level controls work like the real knobs?
I'm sorry, could you re-word that?

I'm sorry, could you re-word that?

Yes, I'll try :)
The real device has two parameters to control. Input and Output. I'm talking about their floor unit but on the tower it is the same I believe.
Which parameter of the Comp block are doing their Job in the Axe Fx ?

Yes, I'll try :)
The real device has two parameters to control. Input and Output. I'm talking about their floor unit but on the tower it is the same I believe.
Which parameter of the Comp block are doing their Job in the Axe Fx ?
Well, what is it you want to actually achieve here? What is it that you're missing by not having these exact controls modeled?

"Input" in the block would be the the volume of whatever was going into it (so use a Filter before it and just use the Level parameter therein to function as the "Input" to your Compressor).

"Output" is just the Level parameter within the Compressor.

But it sound like you shouldn't bother trying at all trying to replicate those two particular controls.

Last edited:
Well, what is it you want to actually achieve here? What is it that you're missing by not having these exact controls modeled?

"Input" in the block would be the the volume of whatever was going into it (so use a Filter before it and just use the Level parameter therein to function as the "Input" to your Compressor).

"Output" is just the Level parameter within the Compressor.

But it sound like you shouldn't bother trying at all trying to replicate those two particular controls.

Thanks for your reply.
I just want to understand how it works and what thing to tweak to replicate that unit. I'm not well informed about compressors. If it does work like the pedal when you put 2 comb blocks in series than there should be parameters within them that work like the real controls. I was quite interested in buying one of these pedals. But if it's already in the box why spending 350 €? :)

Thanks for your reply.
I just want to understand how it works and what thing to tweak to replicate that unit. I'm not well informed about compressors. If it does work like the pedal when you put 2 comb blocks in series than there should be parameters within them that work like the real controls. I was quite interested in buying one of these pedals. But if it's already in the box why spending 350 €? :)
Ah right. Well to get the main effect, just use a stock Compressor block set to Dynamics, and -1 or -2. Then use the Preamp Dynamics parameter in your amp block set to +1 or +2.

Use the Level parameter of the compressor block as a de facto boost - turn it up for a bitier, gainier sound.

Last edited:
I'd like to integrate this into all my patches. But I'm not sure where to put it. Where would you put that first compressor with negative value? First block in the chain and than the Pre-Amp effects like Phaser, Wha, Comp, etc.? Or would you put it directly before the amp (meaning last Pre-Amp block) and other Pre-Amp blocks before it?

I'd like to integrate this into all my patches. But I'm not sure where to put it. Where would you put that first compressor with negative value? First block in the chain and than the Pre-Amp effects like Phaser, Wha, Comp, etc.? Or would you put it directly before the amp (meaning last Pre-Amp block) and other Pre-Amp blocks before it?
Think about the blocks and whether or not they'd benefit from a less-dynamic signal. If you use a drive block, I'd probably run the compression after it. But maybe you use something prior to the amo that'd benefit from the squashed signal.

I'd just stick the compressor immediately before the amp and use the Dynamics parameter in the amp though.

Why not the Preamp Comp in the Amp?

Running two comp blocks in series before the amp block, both set to dynamics, one compressing and the other expanding, was a way of emulating the Shaffer wireless rig used by AC/DC. The compression -> expansion is mimicking the wireless transmitter (compressing) and the receiver (expanding).

Running two comp blocks in series before the amp block, both set to dynamics, one compressing and the other expanding, was a way of emulating the Shaffer wireless rig used by AC/DC. The compression -> expansion is mimicking the wireless transmitter (compressing) and the receiver (expanding).
No I understand that, I'm asking why you wouldn't just use the Amp block's compressor to replace the second block, as it acts before the input anyway.

Back
Top Bottom