Communication timeout problem with Q.8

Axe FX II XL+ with a Mac running OS Sierra 10.12.5, stable, haven't gotten the time out bug. (sorry Nicholas. I copied and pasted your post)

We may have finally got to the bottom of this. Stumbled across a bug as I was working on the latest firmware release.

Cliff, is it possible to release the patch to fix this bug before the new firmware release?

In my case I have to restart my Ax-Fx and sometimes need to restart my computer as well. I have had this problem since Q8 and have restarted many times. This case only happen when I use Axe-Edit along with DAW and/or audio player. It never happen when only use Axe-Edit.

The message about query effect parameter errors may vary (sample below is effect_param_dump), but the description is always about communication time-out.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
... use the axe fx mainly at home and trying new sounds or tweaking against backingtrack or getting close to the original track. And use mainly (read allways) axe edit every day.

Then its really annoying.

I'm in the same boat. I have the Axe-FX II behind me, so using the front panel wouldn't only be...well...using the front panel, I'd also constantly be turning around while recording. Far from ideal.

I know of a couple work-arounds if you'd like to try them:

- Run the audio from the Axe-FX to an interface...use USB only for Axe-Edit and not for carrying audio too. I heard this solves the issue. I bought the Axe-FX SPECIFICALLY to be able to record via USB though, so this isn't something I'm interested in trying.

- I read earlier in this thread that unplugging USB, then plugging it back in gets it back up and running. I'm going to give this a try. Hopefully it'll be a quicker, easier way to get it back up and running.

Quantum 9 beta is released and it has improved USB errors & hanging problem.
I did have however had another error & hanging

See also:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-9-00-beta.130981/page-3#post-1551543

PS: maybe it's the way its intended, but I have a FULL AUDIO DROP when I transfer presets and heavy communication with the AXE FX via AXE EDIT is ongoing. Meaning that audio is gone for a timeframe. Its interupting audio completly.

for example when I transfer 5 presets with AXE EDIT with the axe edit preset manager there is no sound for a couple of minutes.... Just mentioned it, maybe its related. Or just as intended....

Last edited:
Last night i had and Axe Fx II G2 and an XL side by side, XL was stable with out any dropouts at all, but the G2 with in 2 hours of using Axe Edit gave me 2 dropout communication error.

Installed Q9 beta on the second day of its release.

I'm using Win10 x64, Axe Edit, and Acoustica Mixcraft together mainly. Until 1 hour ago, there was no problem since the FW update, but on the last 1 hour, I got the timeout message twice, unfortunately.

I'm a Mark II owner.

Hope it helps. If any other detail is needed, I'll gladly try to give as detailed info as possible.

I've been running the Beta for a week or two now and, while it is better, I too am still getting the "unable to communicate" message from time to time.

I'm getting this constantly on my Axe-FX II MK1 (Q9.04)
After ~5 min usage, axe edit reports "communication timeout". I need to power cycle the axe fx in order to restore communications.

This is really the only issue with my unit but a really annoying one since it makes using axe edit impossible.

- Happens both on my mac and windows machines
- Have tried changing the USB cable, no improvement
- Tried reinstalling the USB drivers from support pages, no help

@Cliff is there anything that could be done to solve this?

I've been having numerous time outs with my AX8 lately. In fact I can'y even get it to connect to Fractal Bot either. Haven't turned on my PC to see if its any different that my MAC. Tried different ports, different cables, no usb hub, reinstalled ax8 edit, etc.

Haven't found a great solution to this yet. wasgoing to update to 9.04 but the gear isn't speaking to each other right now.

OK I just hooled up my PC and it's working great. Going to update the firmware and switch back to the MAC and see if that does anything

Last edited:
I'm having timeout issues with AX8 edit as well. I was trying to import some presets from axchange using the preset manager and it glitches out every time. Fractal Bot won't let me install v.9.04 either. arr.!!!
mac os 10.10.5
AX8 edit 9.03

Now that we know Cilff has been busy working on the AxeFX III, that explains why this never got fixed. It doesn't affect the XL and firmware Q9 seems slightly better than Q8. Otherwise the only solution is to go back to firmware Q7 which Is the last firmware version that doesn't have this bug.

Still happening on 9.04 with Mk2. MacOS and Win10. Got a new USB cable, but no cigar.

Happens when editing a preset with audio playing via USB it seems. Audio will continue to play but Axe Edit craps out and need a hard reboot of the Axe.

:-(

Starting getting communication time outs today for the first time in a while. Have no idea why. No changes to OS.

I am using a new interface though.
Audient iD14.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom