Communication timeout problem with Q.8

I don't know if anyone else figured this out, but I realized for me it's only happening when I'm also using the axe fx as an audio interface. So what I'm doing now is every time I use the Axe Edit, I stop using the axe fx as an interface, and I've had zero communication problems. This obviously is not a fix, but at least you won't have to restart the axe fx every 2 minutes.

I don't know if anyone else figured this out, but I realized for me it's only happening when I'm also using the axe fx as an audio interface. So what I'm doing now is every time I use the Axe Edit, I stop using the axe fx as an interface, and I've had zero communication problems. This obviously is not a fix, but at least you won't have to restart the axe fx every 2 minutes.
This has been mentioned a few times in this thread, and in the other threads on this subject.

It seems to be only happening to the Mark 1 and Mark 2 units, and related to using the Axe-Fx II as a USB audio device while editing with Axe-Edit. Just having it connected as a USB audio device hasn't caused me any issues.

The timeout only occurs when audio is actively streaming while I am making parameter adjustments via Axe-Edit. But it doesn't happen every time? I can have audio playing while I'm tweaking for 10 or 20 minutes without issue? Then other times, I can be editing a preset (via Axe-Edit) with USB audio connected, but not streaming any audio at that time, and I get a simple email notification and it times out.

Extremely frustrating for sure.

I can confirm what @Moke said. It only happens when the Axe is used as USB Audio device. I've had a couple of good days (No timeout issues) this week but today it happens after about 5 minutes of playing. Go figure!

This is getting super irritating, just had 3 timeouts in about 5 minutes, which requires a full reboot of software/axe hardware.

If I want to use Axe edit, i have to stop all audio.

"
Communication time-out:

Axe-Edit was unable to complete the following communication request: Load Preset : modifier_query_all_ids
"

If Fractal Audio cared about customers having this problem, they would either fix it or tell MkI and Mk II customers firmware Q8 and up is not supported on those models. Remaining silent and letting the problem fester like this (it's been a year since it was first reported) is irritating their customers and harming their customer service reputation.

Argh. This is just too annoying. I love the Axe FX, but if this doesn't get repaired I'm considering changing ecosystems altogether.

I MUST be able to reliably tweak patches when I'm recording.

Happened twice in 30 minutes now. Both times had to shut DAW, restart computer and load everything back.

Still happening for me too (Mark 1).

I've had to stop using the Axe-Fx II for USB audio, especially when tweaking presets. But it still makes 'Tone Matching' very frustrating when using USB as of the source input. I suppose I could run cables from my other interface and use input 2? I sure wish they could get this fixed. It's definitely reproducible for me.

Has there been any progress with this @Admin M@ ?? 'Tone Matching' via USB is almost impossible? Same with making edits while playing along with a reference track. Extremely easy to reproduce on my 'Mark 1'....

And today I had a new issue happen... After it lost communication for the 10th+ time, I noticed the something was inadvertently linked to a Global block? Which still happens from time to time? So I un-linked the Global block. Saved my progress on a preset that I had well over 20 hours into (like I always have to after it disconnects). Turn off the Axe-Fx II, close Axe-Edit, re-start the Axe-Fx, re-star Axe-Edit, And the preset was blank! The preset name was still there, but the grid was empty...:(

This issue is horrible. The sad thing is, that the USB works perfectly on FW19, no problems at all.

We have not been able to reproduce the problem here. However while working on the Axe-Fx III (fixing the crash on the Underwater preset) I found a bug that also affects the Axe-Fx II. This bug is a string copy bug that causes a write into a wrong area of memory. This could explain the problem if the write is overwriting an area of memory that services the USB. I'm not saying this will fix it but it's the only bug I've been able to find.

I'll be releasing an update shortly.

We have not been able to reproduce the problem here. However while working on the Axe-Fx III (fixing the crash on the Underwater preset) I found a bug that also affects the Axe-Fx II. This bug is a string copy bug that causes a write into a wrong area of memory. This could explain the problem if the write is overwriting an area of memory that services the USB. I'm not saying this will fix it but it's the only bug I've been able to find.

I'll be releasing an update shortly.
Appreciate it Cliff. I will be able to find out pretty quickly if it worked.

Back
Top Bottom