Communication failure

Not working for me .... :(
Macbook pro with osx10.6.8
I'm wondering if we now need the v168 usb driver to update/replace v167???
Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

I got the same response:

1. Started with Axe-Fx on, then started AE3, received error:
Communication failure: Axe-Edit was unable to complete the communication request due to time-out
2. Per suggestions above, turned Axe-Fx off, then back on, got "Communcating", but ended with a similar failure.

However...after that, ut *did* seem to be communicating because I was able to see the loaded patches (which are not defaults) from the Axe-Fx in AE3. Also, I installed USB driver v168, the latest.

Hopefully, a simple bug to fix.

I get the same error (Mac 10.6.8) .... I have uninstalled, reinstalled ... updated drivers. Nada ... not sure what else to try.

Last edited:
Yup. Brutal time for issues. Rehearsals for a show starting this Friday, and a run of 6 (maybe 7) shows starting next Friday.

Mac OS 10.6.8. Axe is bricked. Name time out.

Disconnected USB and all is well.

But, I need to be able to use the USB to upload patches with Fractal Bot.

No need for Axe Edit 3.0 right now.

Disconnected USB and all is well.

But, I need to be able to use the USB to upload patches with Fractal Bot.

No need for Axe Edit 3.0 right now.
Change your USB cable.
Eventually plug it directly between your Axe-Fx and your Mac (no hub).

AE3 worked fine here (well tuner didn't work in AE3) first, but all the sudden i got the same message. I'm running 10.8.4.

Edit:
Fractal bot finds Axe Fx, so clearly something is wrong in AE3

A couple of things you may try:

- If you're using a Mac, use the 1.67 driver, not 1.68.
- Use a "clean" USB connection (no hub, no extension cvables).
- Make sure there's no other MIDI app running.
- Clean all user cabs slots. A corrupt user cab can cause a crash.

Thanks Yek!
i'll check those user cabs, all the rest of that list should be fine here.

I've managed to fix it. I uninstalled all versions of axe-edit. Reinstalled axe-edit 3. then i re-updated my axefx 2 with firmware 11 over fractal-bot. Then i opened axe-edit, booted my axefx 2 and boom. works like a charm.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 10.6.8 over usb midi device.

A couple of things you may try:

- If you're using a Mac, use the 1.67 driver, not 1.68.
- Use a "clean" USB connection (no hub, no extension cvables).
- Make sure there's no other MIDI app running.
- Clean all user cabs slots. A corrupt user cab can cause a crash.

+1 for Yek's suggestion to clean all user cab slots.

I had the communication errors as well as not being able to see any cabs in the new AE. I cleaned my user cab slots and this resolved the issue of not seeing the cabs in AE. Also, if you are on Win7 perhaps try setting compatibility mode to XP SP3... after I did both of these my AE is quick and fully functional.

Here's another ongoing thread for dealing with missing/corrupt cab issues and AE3:
Can't Change Cabs AE 3

I had the same problem and I ONLY got it solved by completely resetting the Axe fx II. Before I did that, I tried EVERYTHING suggested in this thread, but I could not get Axe-Edit 3.0 to work. It said "connected" in the upper left corner and at the same time it showed this "cannot communicate" message, no matter what I changed and I tried more than 3 hours and I am really familiar with MacBook Pro and OSX.

As I couldn't even get Axe-Edit 1.9 to run in the past, I began to assume that either the Axe has a hardware defect or the software in it is broken. So I finally decided to reset my Axe fx II completely. I deleted everything including all user banks (and some things I will not mention here, cause I deleted them unintentionally and this might be dangerous to the health of your Axe) and I restored all with the newest files available. And now it finally works!!!

When imported one of my own user presets however, I immediately got the same problem as before without any chance to get axe-edit to run again. So it seems my old user presets were corrupted and are the reason, why this did not work. In other words, I will have to start from scratch with all my presets because they obviously were corrupted since a long time, but at least I can use Axe-Edit now.

Regards
Stephan

MacBook Pro 2012
Mac OS X 10.8.4
Axe-Fx II

Last edited:
But it's strange that AE3 is working in Windows 8 at the same MacPro with Parallels Desktop and the same USB cable. I suspect the Mac version and/or drivers?
Or... is it some preferences/old files from the old versjon of AE thats making AE3 not working?

Regards
b.j.

Uploaded the "FW10-SYSTEM-CLEAN.syx" with Fractal Bot, and rebooted the Axe-FX. Everything seems OK! ;-)

Regards
b.j.

Back
Top Bottom