commercial jingles??

Okay... I think I am gonna try it... Not of course to try to sell or anything, because I wasn't kidding...I really do suck.
But the next time we go shopping I am gonna pick a random product and TRY to write a jingle LOL!!!
Should be fun. I just feel like I MUST have at least one 30 second shot of creativity locked inside somewhere...
Then again... if I don't.... :eek:
I think it might serve as a learning tool at least in on course on song writing...

My old boss used to be a master at this. He wrote the Gibraltar Transmission commercials in the 1980's and even sang all of the 5 part harmonies. It's an amazing thing to be able to do, come up with a hook laden 25 to 60 second piece of music that communicates brand identity.

He let me play the keyboard bongos track on a reggae style jingle he did for HO Hot Granola in the early 90's. Those were some of the most pressure filled, creative, and fun sessions.

Closest I've come was having some music from our record (in the early '80s) used as bed music on locally-produced commercials. We were good friends with the local rock station's Program Manager, so our music was in the regular rotation the summer the record came out. A couple of years later, we'd occasionally hear one of our songs pop up in the background commercials where our friend was doing the voice-over.

It is easier to find an albino Yeti than one of those CD's. If you PM me your address, I still have a few. I'll be happy to drop one in the mail to you.

My in-laws picked up a 2018 vehicle recently , and my pop-in-law said there's no CD player in it. John you must be sooooooo old. Your music was on CD ?

A jingle is a short song or tune used in advertising and for other commercial uses. Jingles are a form of sound branding. Ad buyers use jingles in radio and television commercials; they can also be used in non-advertising contexts to establish or maintain a brand image.

A jingle is a short song or tune used in advertising and for other commercial uses. Jingles are a form of sound branding. Ad buyers use jingles in radio and television commercials; they can also be used in non-advertising contexts to establish or maintain a brand image.
Thanks for the clarification there, Internet Bot.

I took jingle classes at Berklee with Jon Aldrich. He was partners with the guy who wrote some of the very first jingles. Aldrich had a 3 story condo in Boston, race horses and dogs and a private jet. Figured this was a good guy to study.

My senior year he wrote ‘just for the taste of it, Diet Coke’. Said if it ran nationally for 18 months he’d make a couple of million. They used it for a couple of decades.

I wrote a jingle for Mercedes Benz while still in college that paid for my senior year. It was lucrative but I felt like a used car salesman after a couple of years.

End came when I was wondering why I graduated from Berklee just to try and come up with a rhyme for douche.

I used to play sessions for a jingle house (Sid Woloshin) in NYC in the 80s. It was loads of fun. Did it all with a Rockman. I wish I had any recordings. (Sid was a giant. He wrote "You Deserve a Break Today"). The Musical Director was this guy, whom you Toto fans will know)
Coca-Cola was the biggest name I played on. I can still sing countless jingles from my youth but has that era, like so many others related to great music, passed us by? Not too long ago I saw a documentary or listened to a podcast about the death (and rebirth) of the jingle. I can't find it or I'd post the link here.

Last edited:
This has been on my back burner for a little while. My wife started doing voiceovers last year and occasionally would need me to provide music. She did a ton of meditation videos so all I had to do was find some decent synth presets that had a calming sound, stretch the midi-note out from beginning to end and call it a day. (She only charges $5 to add free use music….it takes me all of 60 seconds to do)

My best friend pretty much lives off royalty checks he gets because one of his former band‘s bass player was also an agent who spent his working days finding music for TV shows. They got a bunch of their music on a TON of MTV reality shows and even though The Hills isn’t airing new episodes, he still gets a check every time a show airs. We’ve churned out a TON of promo music for various brands over the years that are just sitting on a harddrive waiting for a company to say, “We’ll take it!”

Due the secondary income my wife has been able to take in off Fiverr, I’ve wanted to start my own doing scoring/soundtrack stuff for the gaming channels. There’s a bunch of guys who use open-world MMO games and write their own scripts and act them out within the game, I’m hoping I can leach onto those guys who seem to throw some money into their content. I’d LOVE to score stuff like that.

I have no experience with it, so I download a TON of VST’s (East West’s subscription is GREAT for this) and have played around with my own gaming clips to write stuff to. I generally get bored too fast as I’m just using random clips without a storyline or anything.

There’s certainly money out there for it, it’s just a matter of getting your foot in the water and somethin’ bitin’!

I sang on a jingle for a piering company (home repair). I was in college and got paid $100 for 6 seconds of work, first take. I’ll have to dig that up. Another was the same pay, but even shorter. I sang “North Star Hyundai” and was done LOL.

If you guys dig up some of those old recordings, please post them! I Love youtubing old commercials from 60, 70 and 80s and listening to those jingles and background music. There used to be a member on here who posted a bit of music he'd recorded for, IIRC johnson and johnson. It was an outstanding piece of music!! Very moving!!

My old boss used to be a master at this. He wrote the Gibraltar Transmission commercials in the 1980's and even sang all of the 5 part harmonies. It's an amazing thing to be able to do, come up with a hook laden 25 to 60 second piece of music that communicates brand identity.

He let me play the keyboard bongos track on a reggae style jingle he did for HO Hot Granola in the early 90's. Those were some of the most pressure filled, creative, and fun sessions.
Was this it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom