Coming to a city near you

Satire has become impossible to pull off, because there is no satirical idea one can conceive that is so absurd that it will not be enacted, in all seriousness, by grown adults, often by someone famous and respected, within a few months (or weeks, or days) of getting the idea.

(There's a famous mid-20th-century quote, which I can't recall precisely, which says the same thing, only more succinctly. I think it had something to do with the Soviet Premier visiting Britain and some writer published a satirical itinerary in which the Soviet guy toured all kinds of silly places...only then, the jokester was questioned by the government as a potential security leak because his satirical itinerary so nearly matched the real one.)

When comedians started fleeing from campuses and college towns, that was when I knew we'd entered Heinlein's "Crazy Years." I think maybe Berlin was a lot like this, back in the early 1930's. So there's a happy thought.

In the meantime, I turn on the news -- no, wait, who'm I kidding, nobody watches television news any more; I scan the news online -- for a little while every few days. When I've had my fill, I shrug and resignedly say: "Frikkin' humans." And then I go play guitar for my dog.

Last edited:
In the meantime, I turn on the news -- no, wait, who'm I kidding, nobody watches television news any more; I scan the news online -- for a little while every few days. When I've had my fill, I shrug and resignedly say: "Frikkin' humans." And then I go play guitar for my dog.
Me too....

Isn't this about how the flat Earth thing started? Somebody started out as a joke and it turned into a whole sh*#storm...

Back
Top Bottom