Coming Soon

Because, as you've perfectly demonstrated in your post, what I would want in my knife is different than what you would want in yours and that's different than what others would want in theirs. And after they get done trying to be everything to everyone, we end up with a knife like this...

View attachment 22551

And it costs $10,000. And they can't maintain it.

Actually, it's under $1,400... :)

Wenger 16999 Swiss Army Knife Giant - Most Expensive Item On Amazon - Amazon.com

This part I don't get. Your pickups are putting out at least 50 dB more noise than the A/D-D/A conversion could possibly generate.
the problem of ad/da conversion especially in front of the amp is not only about noise...

Because, as you've perfectly demonstrated in your post, what I would want in my knife is different than what you would want in yours and that's different than what others would want in theirs....
...so they should really build, what the majority needs...and that´s a unit with loops!! ;-)

come on...do you really think professional guitarists, that care about tone (take landau, henderson, thompson, me...;-) ...just kidding...), will completely pass on their pedals in front of the amp, and instead go through a digital multi fx unit for the most of their playing...? i´d love to do that for a wah, or some extreme fx (and therefore be able to extremely downsize...), but never for my great clean or slightly distorted sound, that i use for 95% of the time...

and i think this unit should be for tone freaks...the others do have their axe fx...if real amp tone isn´t my main goal, then the axe fx plus midiboard is the way to go anyway...so why should this unit again be just for them...???

Last edited:
the problem of ad/da conversion especially in front of the amp is not only about noise...

I have no big problem in doing 4CM with axefx standard in +4k tube amps... so, what's the problem you find with fractal converters? Sometimes sloopy amp loop make tone worse than digital convertion. Eventide has musical (to my ears) converter, if you have a good amp you hear it. TC g-maj stole something from tone; G-force or 2290 to my ears are very good. So it's not about digital convertion, it HOW you make it. :)

I have no big problem in doing 4CM with axefx standard in +4k tube amps... so, what's the problem you find with fractal converters? Sometimes sloopy amp loop make tone worse than digital convertion. Eventide has musical (to my ears) converter, if you have a good amp you hear it. TC g-maj stole something from tone; G-force or 2290 to my ears are very good. So it's not about digital convertion, it HOW you make it. :)
i can live with it after the preamp, but not in front...did you play your eventide and 2290 in front...?

i can live with it after the preamp, but not in front...did you play your eventide and 2290 in front...?

I play with magicstomp in front of an amp... wonderful fuzz and overdrive, better than most of analog fuzz stompboxes tone wise, dynamic and noise.
I run the eclipse before twin (there was no loop)... given same volume you had a bit more smooth tone (but in a good way)... warmth...

Me myself don't know what kind of converters, delay, frequency response this new product will have. Before judge it, I wish give it a try. I don't trash it only because it's digital. My experience is: there are many products that suck tone, and a few that enhance it. It doesn't matter digital or analog.

...so they should really build, what the majority needs...and that´s a unit with loops!! ;-)

come on...do you really think professional guitarists, that care about tone (take landau, henderson, thompson, me...;-) ...just kidding...), will completely pass on their pedals in front of the amp, and instead go through a digital multi fx unit for the most of their playing...? i´d love to do that for a wah, or some extreme fx (and therefore be able to extremely downsize...), but never for my great clean or slightly distorted sound, that i use for 95% of the time...

and i think this unit should be for tone freaks...the others do have their axe fx...if real amp tone isn´t my main goal, then the axe fx plus midiboard is the way to go anyway...so why should this unit again be just for them...???

The only part of your argument that I reject is the assertion that Axe FX users aren't tone freaks and aren't among the people who "care about tone". I think a lot of people on this board would disagree with you. ;)

Other than that, your point is valid. The lack of loops will keep some people from choosing it, as will the lack of any other feature that a particular buyer deems important. I'm sure Fractal determined what features they needed as a core offering based on their deep knowledge of the market. Given the number of professional guitarists they have access to, I'm sure they had plenty of input as to the critical functions necessary in the unit according to the target market they are trying to address. I don't even know what that is, so I can't comment on it.

Plus you can place this in a midi switch looper, like the RJm Effect Gizmo, and use with other pedals and such too...granted obviously a rack version would be cool to but i digress we still have the axe fx for those people too.

I don't really notice any issues when I run a digital delay, digital chorus, etc. in front of my amp. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Cliff will provide ad/da conversion that is at least on par with your average $50 pedal.

Reactions: BMH
Sure it does. But how much it affect original tone? More or less than, say, an analog old fuzz or transistor? ;)

I get your point :)

Each piece of gear has its own issues or not so I can't say in general putting a d/a in front of an amp is a tone killer.

A more precise way of saying it for me is, when I'm working with a DAW, I just try to have one d/a in the entire chain.

Depends on the gear. It would take quite a few D/A conversions on the Axe to make an audible difference.

I get your point :)

Each piece of gear has its own issues or not so I can't say in general putting a d/a in front of an amp is a tone killer.

A more precise way of saying it for me is, when I'm working with a DAW, I just try to have one d/a in the entire chain.

Hi all, new to this forum cuz I'm going to buy this fx8 when it will be available. Just 1 question for Cliff on the features: will the noise gate, fx loop, looper and volume pedal occupy one fx slot or are they always available in the fx chain? Thanks

EDIT: and also is it capable of delay/reverb spillover between patches or scenes?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom