Coming Soon

If you don't want a bunch of cables on stage, try a PedalSnake. I used one for years (still have it) when I had a traditional rig. It can carry audio, midi, amp channel switch, power. You just buy the ends that you need for your rig. Very powerful, and you have one cable going from your pedal board to the rig. PedalSnake.com I have no affiliation with them. Just a happy customer. And no, I won't sell mine LOL

Thats a great solution!.

There are many ways to deal with cables, in the end the mess its all up to you and how well you get all your floorspace organised!.

I love having a single cable running to my pedalboard. I even paid extra to have the wireless in the rack so I wouldn't have to run a signal cable on the floor. Everything is nice and clean.

Come on.....
There is no doubt that "what it is", IS NOTHING LESS THAN GREAT - I already own my 3rd AXE FX, an AXE-FX II (The same one you and the others played through at 1st Axe Fest). Not a knock on your creation, just a nudge in what would put the icing on it's very tasty cake - perhaps next time. I will absolutely get one of these - for sure. Will be perfect with my Suhr Badger18 (The one you tone matched at Axe Fest West I) for daily home use. (Most of my playing is not at the studio where my AXE=FX normally resides - this is perfect and offers continuity and familiarity) You know by now that I am solidly sold out as a FAS backer in every way. Friendly fire here!! Keep doing what you're doing. I know your ears are constantly listening, even when what you hear is a big challenge. You seem to "get it" always. There is always a next time around. Obviously if you are into production, something like this is way too late to consider.
Where did you get that Cliff was butthurt by you? Wouldn't that be a bit pretentious?
If you don't project, you simply see a matter of fact truthful statement.
The asslicking your way back was entertaining though :lol

Sheesh, all that anyone said is that the way the G-System can separate is extremely useful. Snakes are great and all but it'd be nice to not have to run all that extra audio cable if possible.

Pedal Snake is a local company - I may look into seeing if they'd do the humbuster ends for their system.

hi cliff,
has the release date come closer or are there some unexpected postponements...? i really want to buy this unit, but needed to sell some equipment before...but i need this until the fx8 is available...can you maybe give us some news...?
and on more question: will the fx8 basically be the same soundwise as the axe fx wired in 4cm with no amps/cabs activated, or will there be some improvements concerning this 4cm-method...? i guess the pre-amp-path is gonna be true bypassable, which the axe fx doesn´t offer, right? is that the only real difference...?
thanks, best!

Last edited:
If i understand correctly this new unit is specially conceived for 4CM, so it will probably be more optimised then what the Axe FX II is for 4CM. True bypass is guaranteed on this unit.

I think that one big difference between this unit and the G System is that the G was partially designed to be a switching system for external gear. In fact, it had to since it offers no drive, which is also why it needs to have pedal power ports. It also makes the brain separation more important, so that you could put all of your external pedals in a rack drawer (along with all of the gear that many of us needed to control the noise - HumEliminator, ISP G String, etc.) There is a lot of overlap between these two units, but if you need a switching unit to control external gear, that would likely drive you to the G, IMHO.

Reactions: LVC
The FX8 does have relay switching - it can switch the channels on a typical amp.

I'm not purporting to know what the FX8 can and can't do, but the G System switching is pretty complex, including preset-specific Midi messaging. You have 4 separate chains of external analog effects (e.g. 4 different drive pedals) and you can engage one or more of them for each preset. The Midi switching can control Midi capable amps and other devices through preset-specific messages. I used it to control my guitar synth. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the G is better. I sold mine. I'm just responding to the prior comment about external switching and brain-racking. It just doesn't appear that it is what the FX8 is designed to do and that's perfectly fine. FAS isn't, and shouldn't be, trying to make the Swiss Army Knife of pedalboards. It wouldn't do anything well.

guitarjim - I too used a G-System for quite some time so I get exactly what it can do. In terms of core capabilities, the FX8 matches the G-System nearly feature for feature (and then some of course) except for the ability to power pedals, pedal loops, and to physically separate the I/O from the pedal. Cliff said you can use the FX8 to do basic MIDI stuff (PC/CC) just like the G-System would.

The FX8 is shaping up to be a very strong competitor to the G-System. I know I'm ready to get one.

LOL, people are so lazy now, they can't be bothered to build a custom snake for their custom set up...... G-system? I thought this thread was an announcement thread about the FX8 not a comparison to the G-system......

no offence guys, but time and place......

LOL, people are so lazy now, they can't be bothered to build a custom snake for their custom set up...... G-system? I thought this thread was an announcement thread about the FX8 not a comparison to the G-system......

no offence guys, but time and place......

Awesome contribution.

guitarjim - I too used a G-System for quite some time so I get exactly what it can do. In terms of core capabilities, the FX8 matches the G-System nearly feature for feature (and then some of course) except for the ability to power pedals, pedal loops, and to physically separate the I/O from the pedal. Cliff said you can use the FX8 to do basic MIDI stuff (PC/CC) just like the G-System would.

The FX8 is shaping up to be a very strong competitor to the G-System. I know I'm ready to get one.

G-System is a great unit, very well thought of and it still is in production! so people will have a choice if FX8 does not meet what they need, even if the FX8 is priced the same people will find they don't need all of what G-system offers but need the amazing quality in sound and flexibility FX8 offers.

Its like comparing super cars at the same price point, some love what Ferraris offer, other would like to have on their Porche's some of the things a Lambo offer...etc. There is and will never be one unit that does it all perfectly and leaves everyone 100% satisfy and not wanting anything more for ever.

...FAS shouldn't be trying to make the Swiss Army Knife of pedalboards....
don´t know, why you´re saying such things...me, i definitely want the swiss army knife of pedalboards and nothing less...and the reason why i´m not playing a g system is, that i´ve had the feeling it affected the tone very much and it´s got too less influence on important parameters...and of course i now have hope again, i could get rid of the extra midiboard, fx rack, etc...but it needed to be really good, cause my setup is really good at the moment...;-)...but downsizing is always great...
i really am a bit disappointed, that they don´t want to spend it some loops...of course in 95% of the time i´d like to play it without any ad/da-conversion in front of the amp, as i guess most guitarists going for really good amp-sounds will want to, so this is why i definitely will want to use an extra pedal for some smart cleanboost or a compressor...and this is why we do need some loops...
ok, i could live without the pedalpower...
i´d say i don´t need some unit that says it can do everything...i could buy some boss or zoom, or digitech or sthg then...i wanted some better and more powerful g system...and if fas wants to be #1 in quality, i think they should think about that...
and i´d really like to know, if they´re planning to release a more complex fx8 later, cause then i´d definitely wait for that one...

...of course in 95% of the time i´d like to play it without any ad/da-conversion in front of the amp, as i guess most guitarists going for really good amp-sounds will want to...
This part I don't get. Your pickups are putting out at least 50 dB more noise than the A/D-D/A conversion could possibly generate.

don´t know, why you´re saying such things...me, i definitely want the swiss army knife of pedalboards and nothing less...

Because, as you've perfectly demonstrated in your post, what I would want in my knife is different than what you would want in yours and that's different than what others would want in theirs. And after they get done trying to be everything to everyone, we end up with a knife like this...

massive swiss army knife.jpg

And it costs $10,000. And they can't maintain it.

New to the forum, so I apologize in advance if this has already been answered. Will the FX-8 be capable of switching channels on a Mesa Mark 5 or will a device such as an amp gizmo be required?

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom