Coming Soon

I'd totally guess in the 1800 range. Not only is 1800ish near half of an AXE+MFC but it's also similar to the TC Electronic G-System.
Yes, but if you ask me the GSystem is way overpriced !

IMO $1800 is way too much, I bet it must be around $1000

I remember cliff saying he was evaluating some other DSPs for another product that had nice power for the price, based on this I think the price will not be very high.
Well, at $1000 he would sell a lot, but i think the market can accept a higher price.

here is cliffs quote I was talking about.

cliff said this when the pod HD was coming out, turned out the pod was just using a higher clocked version of the dsp the x3 used.

I can't find the link to the quote but I can assure you that cliff wrote this

There is a new SHARC processor family: the 214xx series. My bet is the new Pod stuff is using a 21469.

I have evaluated the 21469 extensively and while it is a good processor it is only about half as powerful as a TigerSHARC. We are actually working on a new product based on the 21469.

The problem with the SHARCs is several things:
- The core design is very old. They are still using the same basic core from almost 20 years ago.
- The internal bus bandwidth is mediocre. The TigerSHARC has four 128-bit internal data buses that run at full speed which means the core is never starved for data.
- Too few registers. You have to constantly push and pop with the SHARCs because the register file is so small. This increases function overhead so either your functions run slower or you have to increase your block size (and concomitant latency). The TigerSHARC has a huge register file and since there are so many scratch registers you rarely have to save any registers on the stack (this can also be a disadvantage since you have to save all those registers during a context switch so you have to code your interrupts carefully).
- The SIMD implementation is crude. It would take too long to explain the details.
- Small internal memory. The maximum available is 5 Mb IIRC.
- 48-bit instruction word. The long instruction word means instruction use 1.5 times the memory as data does. So that 5 Mb memory is equivalent to 3.3 Mb in practice.

The new SHARCs have on-board accelerators (FIR and IIR). In theory this should be great but unfortunately the accelerators only work at half the clock speed so they don't really buy you much.

One advantage of the new SHARCs is the on-board peripherals. They include SPI, I2S, UARTS, etc. This reduces system cost. The TigerSHARC has no on-board peripherals, it is designed for one thing: number-crunching.

The SHARC is the value line and for the money the new SHARCs are great but a TigerSHARC still easily outperforms them.

This is all just spectulation, I know nothing!

Last edited:
The MFC is $749.99 wonder if it would be around that

That would be very reasonable. $1000 would not tempt me at all, even with a looper time equivalent to the top flight Roland model. FWIW, looping would be the primary reason I would invest.

By the "six products" statement alone, Cliff has guaranteed I will be checking FAS multiple times daily until we learn what they all are going to be. I imagine I'll not necessarily need or want most of them, but I'm really interested in anything completely new (guitar?) and/or something along the lines of a DAW plugin with expanded capabilities for the AxeFx along the lines of what UAD does with their hardware.

RE: Price. Cliff said "It won't be anywhere near that expensive" when people suggested $2000. So I think $1000 is more realistic than $1800.

Under $1000 is my guess too... in fact, I'd hope for a ridiculous price such as $699.99. But I doubt that low. I assume $999.99 would be more likely.

To all those I have seen suggest it will be $1700 or $1800, insanity.

I know it's important to some for Fractal products to remain "exclusive" to only "financially serious" guitar players. But to people like me, who can afford and do own Fractal products, my excitement for them is such that I would love to see those without such devoted pocketbooks a chance at dabbling in the same tonal playground many of us know so well.

If you really love Fractal, hope for it to expand into new demographics, don't let pride get in the way of sensibility.

very nice FAS ! but please dont forget....it WILL DISTRACT YOU from all the good stuff on the AxeFxII.....just have a second thought:
...it may only give you billions of revenue..but hey! whats $$$ compared to happy fella Axe users....
...it may create another hundreds of jobs in plainstow...but hey....then the town gets too crowded
...it will proof your 10 year old research pays off and you were damn right....ok. we know that and we told you...
...it is awsome.....yeah! but the stuff out yet is already.

....ok. I ran out of arguments and go buy the pedals at least...:eagerness:

My questions about it are:

- Are there any new effects algorithms?

- Are there any effects presets? Surely having amp/pedal purists try and dial in different effects is going to a massive failure, which they will most certainly be vocal about on the forums. Lol

I was thinking this unit will actually HELP the effects in the II and XL for the better. I mean surely they are probably working on some cool effect improvements for the FX8 that can also go into the II. Plus this product will help FAS grow and thus they will be able to even set aside more resources to the effects department.

I was thinking this unit will actually HELP the effects in the II and XL for the better. I mean surely they are probably working on some cool effect improvements for the FX8 that can also go into the II. Plus this product will help FAS grow and thus they will be able to even set aside more resources to the effects department.
I didnt think about that, but that's a good point. Maybe improvement in the FX8 will be integrated in AxeFX :) Exciting !

I'm gonna guess under $1000, maybe significantly under. Lower cost CPU than the Axe, and the rest of the hardware looks really no more expensive than, say, the TC Nova System (under 400 bucks street). I bet the FX8 will slay the TC and can get away with being more expensive, but not like 3 times more expensive.

nova.gif

Maybe, I think, FX8 is just for who doesn't have an Axe FX

I don't think Cliff could have made it clearer that this units has been design from the ground up TO BE USED PREFERABLY with REAL TUBE AMPS. But of course this unit can and maybe will be used by people that have the Axe FX, i mean...why not!

This product is aimed at the person who doesn't want to use modeling. It is specifically designed for use with an amp. The I/O architecture was designed to integrate with tube amps.

Just a thought but I think the FX8, and all future hardware (especially floor FX) should have a locking AC connection like this:

plasa06_volex-plug480.jpg

Simple yet brilliant way to prevent the AC from accidentally coming loose on stage. If you loose the cord, the jack works like any other so you can use a non-locking cord.

I don't think Cliff could have made it clearer that this units has been design from the ground up TO BE USED PREFERABLY with REAL TUBE AMPS. But of course this unit can and maybe will be used by people that have the Axe FX, i mean...why not!

If I say maybe, doesn't mean I want it so... Hope why not too as you

Back
Top Bottom