Coming Soon

I get what you're saying. But there's another advantage that usually comes with the higher-priced pedals: smoothness. My Ernie Ball pedal is way more smooth and accurate than the pedal built into my Roland FC-200 foot controller. That lets me be expressive in ways the Roland can't touch.

Hmm. That's an extremely good point. I have noticed 'humps' in the travel smoothness vs. pot response. I'll have to rethink my ideas I reckon.

EDIT: As above, the wireless thing would be handy! Not viable on the present incarnation of the Axe, but it's a mighty idea.

IMG_5508_1.jpg

Fractal Audio EV-1 Expression/Volume Pedal

"Planetary Gear Drive"
High-Quality Dual Potentiometer rated for 1M rotations.
Durable Cast Aluminum chassis
Adjustable pedal tensioner

Oh me oh my. Can you explain how it works as a volume pedal? Do you have to use a volume block or is there something special about it? My concern using volume pedals at the front of the chain before going into axe fx is that when i'm playing high gain music, turning down the volume coming from the guitar will mess up my input gate and compression and ruin my gain structuring.

When and how much are these?

Never been tried, only a picture posted, and more 'I want' than 'should be cool's.'

Fractal is anything but oblivious to what will work best with their products. Maybe do a bit more 'get excited' than 'get entitled' until the final product actually shows?

Can you explain how it works as a volume pedal? Do you have to use a volume block or is there something special about it?
You can do that two ways. Either use it as an expression pedal to control a volume block, or use it as a traditional inline volume pedal.

My concern using volume pedals at the front of the chain before going into axe fx is that when i'm playing high gain music, turning down the volume coming from the guitar will mess up my input gate and compression and ruin my gain structuring.
When used in-line, the effect would be the same as rolling off the volume knob on your guitar. If that works for your tones, then inline will be fine for you. If not, you can always use it as an expression pedal anywhere in your chain.

When they're announced, at the price they say when they announce it. :) Anything beyond that is just unfounded speculation.

You can do that two ways. Either use it as an expression pedal to control a volume block, or use it as a traditional inline volume pedal.

When used in-line, the effect would be the same as rolling off the volume knob on your guitar. If that works for your tones, then inline will be fine for you. If not, you can always use it as an expression pedal anywhere in your chain.

But can you use it as a real volume pedal and expression pedal at the same time? otherwise I don't see any need for the volume pedal option/connection. You might just as well use it as an expression pedal with a volume block then.

But can you use it as a real volume pedal and expression pedal at the same time? otherwise I don't see any need for the volume pedal option/connection. You might just as well use it as an expression pedal with a volume block then.
I'd use it as an expression pedal for everything. But some folks don't have a foot controller, or maybe the have an old-school tube rig. The volume-pedal feature is for them.

In that case you might just as well buy a much cheaper Boss FV-50 or something. I think the Fractal pedal is not geared towards the simple old school volume pedal pedal users. Can't imagine someone having an Axe without a floor controller. Maybe if you are only using it in the studio.

I think the Fractal pedal is not geared towards the simple old school volume pedal pedal users.
Sure it is. That's why it has built-in volume pedal capability. That's smart marketing: make a product that appeals to the modeling crowd and the traditional-rig crowd.

Oh me oh my. Can you explain how it works as a volume pedal? Do you have to use a volume block or is there something special about it? My concern using volume pedals at the front of the chain before going into axe fx is that when i'm playing high gain music, turning down the volume coming from the guitar will mess up my input gate and compression and ruin my gain structuring.

If you setup the default noise gate at your patch's input and used the pedal as an expression pedal for a volume block on the grid, the noise gate should work like you're wanting it to, meaning that even if you sweep your heel down and lower the guitar's volume going into the amp block, the noise gate shouldn't cut off the notes any more than it would at full toe-down volume, because the volume going into the noise gate itself (located before the volume block) would not be affected by the expression pedal.

Not true for me. I like to use one pedal for both wha and volume with a toe switch to toggle the functionality from one to the other.

I'm with you on the spring. I have no need for that.

I find the spring to be really nice for wah. Not having to stomp it to toe-down to turn it on and off is quite nice live, me thinks, especially if I have a second tap to make at the same change. Say, I'm coming out of a solo using the wah, then want to quit using the wah, and change presets/scenes at the same moment in time. It makes a difference in smoothness if I don't have that extra tap. Especially if I'm also singing. One less hoop to jump through.

Fight club?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snatch. If memory serves, its 'Periwinkle Blue". Both movies are incredible, and I'd like to grab one of these pedals..

I have more exp. pedals than I need, but that still doesn't stop the stupid want I have inside. I use 1 EB, a spring loaded EP1 and a regular EP1 along with a VPjr. I have another VPjr that broke the stupid string and I've read too much of the pain it is to fix so it sits collecting dust currently. Pretty sure I'm gonna remove the spring on the one ep1 so I can use those cocked wah tones or at least allow it to be more than just a wah/whammy pedal as it is currently limited to. Maybe i'm just not imaginative enough.

I find the spring to be really nice for wah. Not having to stomp it to toe-down to turn it on and off is quite nice live, me thinks, especially if I have a second tap to make at the same change. Say, I'm coming out of a solo using the wah, then want to quit using the wah, and change presets/scenes at the same moment in time. It makes a difference in smoothness if I don't have that extra tap. Especially if I'm also singing. One less hoop to jump through.

You can use the auto-engage parameter in the wah block to turn the wah on automatically when you move the pedal towards toe-down, and off when the pedal is returned to heel-down (and stays there for a pre-set amount of time; this is controlled by the slow, medium, or fast setting that you can choose). No stomping or clicking required, and no hoops! More info here on the wiki.

Since this feature is already present on the Axe-Fx, the spring issue is mostly about whether or not the pedal returns to heel-down by itself when you step off, and many players don't like this since it prevents the pedal from being used as a volume pedal or to adjust a parameter that needs to remain set at a certain level.

Auto-engage causes issues with disengagement when switching between aggressive and smooth playing styles.

Back
Top Bottom