Coming Soon: The Amp Factory IRs

Looking forward to the new IRs. What will be cool is we'll get some different cabs (I assume) vs. one cab with a ton of different speakers as with the OH stuff. Competition is good. I'm fine pitching in to the development of these products. You know each of these cabs costs $700 and up, and each speaker can run $75/speaker and up, right?

We are proud to announce that The Amp Factory will be using their expertise in cabinet mic'ing and capture to produce UltraRes IRs for Fractal Audio Systems products.

Stay tuned for more information.

I hope not only in Ultra-Res, in wav will be awesome too, to gen1 users like me.

if this happens, "user unfavourable IR bundles" won't save anything at all!

in actual fact, this is all about "the idiots will buy it anyway and in this case why charge 20$ if we can pull 100$ out of their pockets"
marketing strategies and that's what i just can't stand!

i'd never exect an amp manufacturer to pay for my tube exchange but the axe,
well it's half a digital product and it's re-programmable so we surely didn't just pay for the hardware box ;)

...still not talking about FREE IR's ;)

just per post? there should be way more to gain out of this...;)

you simply do not understand!

once again:

it's NOT about FREE IR's, i didn't ask for that, however most people here seem to deluded to understand...
i'd just like to buy the IR's i need and not hundreds of others i will never try/use, is this really so hard to understand?

Dude.
How do you know there won't be any free UltraRes IRs?
Has Cliff said so somewhere?
He's already given us 10 free UR IRs.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't include a few UR additions to the stock IRs list in upcoming firmware releases.

If you think that every UR IR in the world should be free then, geez, I don't know what you're thinking.
Are you a commie? (Just kidding.)

In the meantime, just lighten up.
To be sure, there are many unknowns at the moment about how Fractal will integrate the UR IRs going forward.
But you're really overreacting.

Hi Everyone.

Just wanted to stop by and swing my "Hello's" -I'm pleased to be working with FAS, and bringing you some great UltraRes IR.

So what is different? - well nothing, just Im bringing my own experience with engineering, and also delivering a unique style of alternative IR cabs, I hope we can all find happiness in what we do, and I'm working very hard to make this so.

Some of you may already know me as "Andy" from TheAmpFactory, and now I look forward to getting to know all of you.

All the Best
A

We are proud to announce that The Amp Factory will be using their expertise in cabinet mic'ing and capture to produce UltraRes IRs for Fractal Audio Systems products.

Stay tuned for more information.

I'm in!
Don't care how much the cost or how/if the IR's are bundled.

Dude.
How do you know there won't be any free UltraRes IRs?
Has Cliff said so somewhere?
He's already given us 10 free UR IRs.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't include a few UR additions to the stock IRs list in upcoming firmware releases.

If you think that every UR IR in the world should be free then, geez, I don't know what you're thinking.
Are you a commie? (Just kidding.)

In the meantime, just lighten up.
To be sure, there are many unknowns at the moment about how Fractal will integrate the UR IRs going forward.
But you're really overreacting.

trying to troll on me!?
have you actually read my post?

Hi Everyone.

Just wanted to stop by and swing my "Hello's" -I'm pleased to be working with FAS, and bringing you some great UltraRes IR.

So what is different? - well nothing, just Im bringing my own experience with engineering, and also delivering a unique style of alternative IR cabs, I hope we can all find happiness in what we do, and I'm working very hard to make this so.

Some of you may already know me as "Andy" from TheAmpFactory, and now I look forward to getting to know all of you.

All the Best
A

Welcome!! Really looking forward to the offerings. Based on the reputations of both companies, this is going to be great! I've got no problem paying for quality products!

It's great that we will have more options, but I agree with those who do not like the bundled or "packs" approach. I have no problem with paying for what I need, but I would much prefer the option of purchasing only IR's suited for the tone I'm after. I'd rather pay $1.50 for a single IR I need than $1.00 each for 100 IR's, of which I may use only four. Just an example of course, I don't know the actual cost per IR.

Not trying to single out your post, but have we become so jaded and entitlement oriented to not see the big picture?

Rewind to using "real amps". How much did a new 4x12 or boutique 2x12 cost? What if we didn't like it?

Surely a quality IR done by a professional with killer gear is worth more than $1.50?

For 100 bucks we can get a whole collection of professionally done IRs, and we are complaining?

I seem to recall buying pretty much everything owen hamner and redwirez had when I first got my ultra. They cost way more than 100 bucks and I never got around to using ANY if them! Do I care? No. If buying third party stuff helps keep these guys churning out killer stuff, all good!

Pretty sure I dropped about 500 bucks on AF profiles for my KPA. Again well worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trying to troll on me!?
have you actually read my post?

Sorry no I'm not trying to "troll" on you".
And you're right, I did miss your main point.
But your main point is confused and you DO need to lighten up.

If you don't want to spend $100 on Cab Pack 3 you can get those same IRs directly from Ownhammer, one library at a time, for $29 ea.
You can then convert the IRs you want to use in UltraRes to UltraRes using the new Cab Lab when it's released.
If you do it this way you will also have access to the original .wav files which can be used in a DAW with a convolution plugin at full resolution, not the compressed UltraRes format.
I'm not sure if "compressed" is the right word but UltraRes IRs mimic full resolution IRs in a smaller data format.
You will also have access to versions of the same IRs that can be used with the Kemper profiler and the Nebula plugin system.

Many of the current Red Wires .wav format IRs are also long enough to be converted into UltraRes IRs.

You can also shoot your own UltraRes IRs of your own cabinets with a decent mic using the Axe's IR Capture Utility.

So I really don't see that you've got anything to complain about (unless you think the price for Cab Lab, @ $19.95, is too steep).

Interesting, thanks!! did not know that....any easy way to tell which ones are long enough to be converted ...and make a difference?

The file size doesn't indicate that the IR contains any information outside of the old 43ms time window of the AxeFx II IR's.

So just because the file size is large enough, depending on the IR it might not sound that different in UR format vs. non-UR format.

I'm more than happy to pay for IRs I can use. I'd pay $10 for a single IR without a second thought if it wound up being a staple for me. The problem is that IRs tend to come in bundles containing craploads of IRs, with hardly any I find usable. So I have to audition hundreds of IRs and choose the two or three I want to keep, then divide the total cost by the number of keepers to find out how much I paid for each. I accept that this is the nature of it. I have no suggestions as to how to improve the situation. Even if the manufacturers posted sample clips of each IR and sold them separately, I'd still have to listen to all of them, and the price of the individual IRs would be equal to or greater than the keepers I find in the bundles.
Yeah, I hear you, but as you stated the real problem is that there is no one size fits all IR for everyone, so basically you are going to have to go through and find one; just as if you were in the studio mic'ing a real cabinet. Trial and error. I don't know how you come up with a business model to package that capability without just going out of business. I mean we're talking about a 7kb file here. I think that the way they package them is about the best way to do it. I actually liked the way that Redwirez did them with the ability to buy a specific cabinet, ironically I bought the big box. But if memory serves they charged like $10 per cabinet set which is pretty close to what you are talking about; you get the cabinet you want, go through all of the IR's and find the one you want or mix them into the one that you want and you have your $10 cabinet. Unfortunately it's not URez.

Sorry. It looks like I got my wires crossed on that one.
The Red Wirez .wav IRs are well under 100ms.

The way to check is to open them in an audio program.
I use Audacity when I'm in a hurry and Logic when I'm not.

The non-truncated WAV files for the Redwirez IRs that I use are around 110 ms. I think it depends on which cabinet you are looking at. I use the Marshall 1960B with V30's.

thats awesome news, i really loved the TAF AMP Profiles on my Kemper so its great to be able to have some TAF flavoured Sounds on the Axe FXII!
i´m very looking forward to them, thats so exciting!!

Yeah, I hear you, but as you stated the real problem is that there is no one size fits all IR for everyone, so basically you are going to have to go through and find one; just as if you were in the studio mic'ing a real cabinet. Trial and error..
The reason I don't mind paying for "good" IRs is that I've tried to mic cabinets myself in the past. I spent countless hours experimenting, and never got a result that I really liked. And even if I had, it would have not been reproducible. Convolution now allows others to spend all of that time and effort, while I can reap the benefits with a convenient tool. I get great miced cab tones that are reproducible. The only work involved for me is the time I spend at my regular job making the money to pay for the IRs, and the time sifting through the mountain of IRs I have no use for. I'd rather be gigging or at my day job than making IRs. I hate doing that. I'm not really complaining about the process. It is what it is, and it's better than having to do it myself with the limited resources (including time) that I have.

Hi All

Just an update, Ive been flat out with these the past few weeks. - and whilst its coming to a close, I thought I'd throw a small update so you can know what to expect from me.
Im excited to tell you about my "new" approach, well actually its not really new at all, it just thanks to Fractals update to the Ultrares cabs. this allows a little more time for the convolution to form, and this brings new exciting chapters.

Not only have I created all the aspects you come to expect with IR's, but also the added benefit of a 3D experience.

So what do I mean by this?

Well, I took a mix of a few IR's of the same cab..sum these to mono.

I also captured the entire Room with stereo mics (U87/U67) Left + Right, and the rear of the cab. - blended these together, (the ambiance) split them into 2 IR's (L) and (R).

Make 2 cabs, Mono being the direct mics. and the 2nd for the Stereo (Hard left & Hard right), Blend these in to taste, and it really does give you a very authentic "in the room recording" sound, that I _am_ very much enjoying right now. offers such a detailed perspective. - Time consuming, yes, worth it.. Definitely so!.

I will let you know the Cabs soon, and will update on more progress as it develops.

Until then, Stay happy.
Andy

Back
Top Bottom