Comfortably Numb 2022

The truth is Waters and Gilmour (really all the band) came from what would have been considered the middle upper crust, privileged part of society in post WWII England. Many others Brits were in poverty in a very depressed economic time. Musically you can compare what was produced by the poor, blue color (heavy metal) industrial Birmingham area (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc.) vs. Pink Floyd and the “progressive bands” of the time. As a guitar player who has been heavily influenced by Gilmour I tended to side with Gilmour over Waters, but as time has gone on in the last 10 to 20 years I realized Gilmour as much as Waters were both stubborn egotists with nasty dispositions if their feathers got ruffled. Gilmour is more passive aggressive while Waters lays it all out there. I guess his literary side can’t help itself. So Gilmour seemed to always come off as the nice guy especially among younger folks who didn’t realize there was a whole life (arguably the most important) of the band prior to The Wall. Politically they’re both typical elite types with ridiculous opinions.

Having said this I will always be a huge fan and love the Waters, Gilmour, Wright, Mason Pink Floyd as one of the best bands ever. As far as Waters artistic credibility, I remember him saying that “many people can write a single verse that might be of some interest, but try writing a second just as good or better and then another and even another having them all connect in some way and come together to form a story…”Not many can do that”!

P.S.
And for those who think Gilmour was such a nice guy and was all about the band and music…
“In 1986, Gilmour began recruiting musicians for what would become Pink Floyd's first album without Waters, A Momentary Lapse of Reason. There were legal obstacles to Wright's re-admittance to the band, but after a meeting in Hampstead, Pink Floyd invited Wright to participate in the coming sessions. Gilmour later stated that Wright's presence "would make us stronger legally and musically", and Pink Floyd employed him as a musician with weekly earnings of $11,000.“

Just a hired hand…sounds like he didn’t really care much for Wright just like Waters during the last stages. I think Richard Wright was a critical part of the band. It was his Jazz influenced chords and turn arounds on DSOTM that make many parts of that all time great recording. Also Gilmour’s PF pt.2 took many other outsiders (Engineers, Producers) to make it what it was. Lyrically Gilmour just can’t write a good song. The Division Bell lyrics are almost 100% his wife’s.

One more thing we should never forget is a guy named Alan Parsons that was key in PF’s best material. Although I do think Animals is on par with the previous.

Edited for silly spelling and grammatical errors

To be fair, Rick wasn’t exactly eager to jump back into the band and ultimately, Rick’s ex-wife had more to do with that than Rick or Dave. She figured him getting back in the band would help clean him up, if I remember right, he wasn’t even aware she contacted Gilmour. Him and Nick weren’t even playing well enough by the time the album was done, so the first half that tour you only heard Jon Carin and Gary Wallis coming through the PA.

The other part of that was that Gilmour and Mason put up all the money for the legal issues, album and oncoming tour, so to invite Rick back in as a full time member or to allow him to enjoy the spoils of their efforts when he seemingly had zero interest in doing so, I can understand the reasoning behind that.

That said, Jon Carin seems to have jumped the Gilmour ship as of late and is starting to mirror his current paycheck signer. He’s been talking a lot about how he‘s the reason MLOR and Division Bell even got completed and was taking a lot of credit for some of those songs, in some cases, taking all the credit for them only to find out he was wrong. He did it with “Yet Another Movie”, claiming the song didn’t exist until he joined and started recording it, which is why a previously unreleased demo of the song made it’s way onto the internet shortly after, proving the basis for the song was already in existence before he showed up.

If you check his FB page, he really hasn’t said anything good about Gilmour in a long time, it’s mostly due to songwriting credits and “ensuring the fans have the proper history”, the last one being when Gilmour put out “A Great Day For Freedom” as the B-side to the “Hey Hey” , it was very stripped down and gave Wright the credit for the piano, which lit up Carin who immediately came out and said “Rick never played on that. That’s a different piano part than what’s on the original, I recorded the original part and Rick was never even the studio for that song.” I’m a massive Floyd fan and LOVE knowing the little details over stuff that won’t make a matter of difference in my life, but his posts seem to be more divisive than educational.

And while I’m a Gilmour fanboy, I’ve certainly realized the bit of ego floating around him throughout the years. Mainly the whole “I don’t want to plan these big elaborate tours, I’m ready to move on from Floyd”…..and then he books two massive solo tours and goes out and does mostly Floyd tunes. :tearsofjoy: I think he finds some joy in not allowing Roger to use the Floyd name and at his age, well, I hope I don’t have any long grudges like that when I’m that old.

Gilmour joining Floyd was lightning in a bottle. In my view, the collaboration and competition between Waters and Gilmour is second only to the often caustic chemistry of Lennon and McCartney in creating something bigger than either of their egos. That conflict gave us a couple of iconic albums and defined Pink Floyd. Remove Waters' lyrics, concepts and dark humor or Gilmour's voice, guitar and general craft and you just have a lesser product.

lI’m a massive Floyd fan and LOVE knowing the little details over stuff that won’t make a matter of difference in my life.”
This is pretty much where I’m at with whole thing. It’s like a giant Rock & Roll soap opera that against my better judgment sucks me in.😆 Trying to completely understand the history all the way from meeting in school to Syd days until today in an interesting part of R&R history.

What really bummed me about Gilmour was in the video “Wider Horizons” he came off as somewhat a cold person. Especially when talking about his parents. Admittedly he sure seems like he loves and cares for his family. Once again I’m nit picking. I also was put off when he seemed to ignore his average fans in America when touring. I can’t quite remember the quote, but he made a comment that came off to me as “much of America is filled with rednecks and I’ll just play smaller and fewer shows for high ticket prices and only the lucky (or privileged) will get see me from now on. This was during all the post 9/11 mess. Needless to say I made no attempts to go out of my way to obtain tickets and see him. I’m sure losing my patronage was devastating to his bottomline…not!🙄

Like I said and I think you’re similar, Gilmour will always be a huge influence on my playing and the PF sound will always be an influence when making music.

Been a massive Floyd/Waters fan since I was a kid. Seeing The Wall at the midnight movies blew my mind.

Waters shows I've seen:

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking 1985
Radio K.A.O.S. 1987
In the Flesh 2000
The Wall Live 2010
Us + Them 2017

I loved them all but the last show in 2017, it was one big political message (yes even more so than normal) If it wasn't for my girlfriend who bought the tickets for us as a surprise gift (and paid way too much) I would have walked out halfway through. I did see several people yelling at him "F-U" flipping him off and walking out around me.

IMO, he's a washed up bitter turd and I'll never give him another dime.

Gilmour or GTFO.

The truth is Waters and Gilmour (really all the band) came from what would have been considered the middle upper crust, privileged part of society in post WWII England. Many others Brits were in poverty in a very depressed economic time. Musically you can compare what was produced by the poor, blue color (heavy metal) industrial Birmingham area (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc.) vs. Pink Floyd and the “progressive bands” of the time. As a guitar player who has been heavily influenced by Gilmour I tended to side with Gilmour over Waters, but as time has gone on in the last 10 to 20 years I realized Gilmour as much as Waters were both stubborn egotists with nasty dispositions if their feathers got ruffled. Gilmour is more passive aggressive while Waters lays it all out there. I guess his literary side can’t help itself. So Gilmour seemed to always come off as the nice guy especially among younger folks who didn’t realize there was a whole life (arguably the most important) of the band prior to The Wall. Politically they’re both typical elite types with ridiculous opinions.

Having said this I will always be a huge fan and love the Waters, Gilmour, Wright, Mason Pink Floyd as one of the best bands ever. As far as Waters artistic credibility, I remember him saying that “many people can write a single verse that might be of some interest, but try writing a second just as good or better and then another and even another having them all connect in some way and come together to form a story…”Not many can do that”!

P.S.
And for those who think Gilmour was such a nice guy and was all about the band and music…
“In 1986, Gilmour began recruiting musicians for what would become Pink Floyd's first album without Waters, A Momentary Lapse of Reason. There were legal obstacles to Wright's re-admittance to the band, but after a meeting in Hampstead, Pink Floyd invited Wright to participate in the coming sessions. Gilmour later stated that Wright's presence "would make us stronger legally and musically", and Pink Floyd employed him as a musician with weekly earnings of $11,000.“

Just a hired hand…sounds like he didn’t really care much for Wright just like Waters during the last stages. I think Richard Wright was a critical part of the band. It was his Jazz influenced chords and turn arounds on DSOTM that make many parts of that all time great recording. Also Gilmour’s PF pt.2 took many other outsiders (Engineers, Producers) to make it what it was. Lyrically Gilmour just can’t write a good song. The Division Bell lyrics are almost 100% his wife’s.

One more thing we should never forget is a guy named Alan Parsons that was key in PF’s best material. Although I do think Animals is on par with the previous.

Edited for silly spelling and grammatical errors
Thanks for the insight above.. the more I read about the band, the more I realise I don't want to know, I would rather put the videos on, listen to the music, watch the Gilmour Pulse concert or Pompeii, and just absorb the music thinking these guys are great rather than the calculated side of things that they have shown in the past.

It is all about the music at the end of the day, or it should be. It's such a shame that these guys can't put the ego away and realise they are stronger together, but how many bands have we seen go the same way?!

That's unfortunate.
I guess I should be more exact for those who can’t interpolate further context of the discussion. So this might help. “This is the most profound thing I’ve seen come out of the mainstream, music industry where the large budgets available are mostly wasted on perverse sexual exploitation and bizarre occult BS”.

Out of curiosity, what exactly have you seen that is so extraordinarily more profound?

Been a massive Floyd/Waters fan since I was a kid. Seeing The Wall at the midnight movies blew my mind.

Waters shows I've seen:

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking 1985
Radio K.A.O.S. 1987
In the Flesh 2000
The Wall Live 2010
Us + Them 2017

I loved them all but the last show in 2017, it was one big political message (yes even more so than normal) If it wasn't for my girlfriend who bought the tickets for us as a surprise gift (and paid way too much) I would have walked out halfway through. I did see several people yelling at him "F-U" flipping him off and walking out around me.

IMO, he's a washed up bitter turd and I'll never give him another dime.

Gilmour or GTFO.
I mainly feel some need to balance the record to those who are perpetually bent out of shape about Waters and see Gilmour as having no negative personality. I can heavily relate because I was in that camp for the most part. IMO, Waters has mellowed to a degree while Gilmour seems like the bitter old turd. Gilmour is much better at guarding his disposition and pretending he’s above it all.

As a personal note the reason I may seem more engrossed in this saga than normal is because a few weeks ago I got into a long back and forth with a stranger on YouTube about the merits of the unfortunate Syd Barrett years and how they were an important part of propelling Floyd into the spotlight in the beginning. This person seemed to not have any understanding of the British Pop scene at that time and only new the sensationalized mental demise and musically “spaced out” aspect of the end of that phase. He gave Gilmour all the credit for PF’s popularity and hated Waters. Through the back and forth I ended up having to assess my opinions (and that’s all they are, I never met or lived with either of guys) and think more deeply about the whole thing. It also coincided with watching Waters on the Joe Rogan show. This person happen to be a trained artist and not a musician so our perspectives were from different, but pertinent angles.

This obviously doesn't hold a candle to the original, but I'm not sure it's supposed to. It's enough of a departure that I can get on board -- it's right in line with the recent spate of dirgey reinterpretations of rock tunes littering prestige TV these days.

I saw Roger Waters Wall tour in Omaha. I liked seeing a big budget production of the concept album that i loved as a kid. You couldnt pay me to go see Roger ruin classic songs today.
I caught one Wall tour several years ago to cross it off the list. In the absence of another Gilmour tour, unless you're just aiming to check "see Roger Waters live" off your bucket list, your money is much better spent seeing/hearing Brit Floyd play Floyd tunes live, imo.

I caught one Wall tour several years ago to cross it off the list. In the absence of another Gilmour tour, unless you're just aiming to check "see Roger Waters live" off your bucket list, your money is much better spent seeing/hearing Brit Floyd play Floyd tunes live, imo.
+1 on Brit Floyd. Just announced they’re playing nearby in March.
Seen them a few times and one of the bands that sparked my interest in Fractal.
Along with TSO

Attachments

• 5B1A56C8-C712-411D-9CAA-34D2971B2BC0.jpeg
    5B1A56C8-C712-411D-9CAA-34D2971B2BC0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 8361F0EF-5BBB-48B7-A9F7-B5FE2A3BE9E9.jpeg
    8361F0EF-5BBB-48B7-A9F7-B5FE2A3BE9E9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • E7F46DB2-A0EA-4E2B-A282-36A28220607B.jpeg
    E7F46DB2-A0EA-4E2B-A282-36A28220607B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 80C60924-A752-4E47-B3B5-99F0A07A56F2.jpeg
    80C60924-A752-4E47-B3B5-99F0A07A56F2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
+1 on Brit Floyd. Just announced they’re playing nearby in March.
Seen them a few times and one of the bands that sparked my interest in Fractal.
Along with TSO
I've been looking for PF tribute bands playing in the London area. I know the Australian PF tribute band has a very good reputation, never seen a British one yet though. So is the British tribute using Fractals then?

To be fair, Rick wasn’t exactly eager to jump back into the band and ultimately, Rick’s ex-wife had more to do with that than Rick or Dave. She figured him getting back in the band would help clean him up, if I remember right, he wasn’t even aware she contacted Gilmour. Him and Nick weren’t even playing well enough by the time the album was done, so the first half that tour you only heard Jon Carin and Gary Wallis coming through the PA.

Rick was the heart of the band (along with Syd back in the early days). There would be no Pink Floyd without him (and Syd).

Dave was the face/voice of the band. Nick was the pulse of the band. Roger was the lyricist.

What they put together was greater than the sum of its parts. It's a sad thing they couldn't find a way to get along, but that's life....

I like Gilmours playing but his, or I guess his wife Polly’s lyrics, and the overall post Waters output is pretty bland and boring.

Waters works have far more style and substance, but lack the musicality of Wright and Gilmour

Case in point, the new CN track isn’t half bad, but it’s not the classic song we know and love without Gilmours guitar….

The overall theme, lyrics et al work so well with that awesome soaring solo contrasting the verses, and Waters is as much behind that as Gilmour is for the guitar work.

I don’t really enjoy Waters new stuff, but I also don’t really enjoy Gilmours new stuff.

Both put on great live shows still, even more so Waters, but the high points for me are either of them doing PF material lol.

Do a tour with Waters style and concepts and political rants etc, and have Gilmour playing leads and it would surely be the best stuff either of them have done solo in ages

Not that it will likely happen lol

Listening again, this version sort of reminds me of Sting revisiting a certain The Police song fir the movie, "Demolition Man". He took a good song in a direction that was both predictable and executed with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Rick was the heart of the band (along with Syd back in the early days). There would be no Pink Floyd without him (and Syd).

Dave was the face/voice of the band. Nick was the pulse of the band. Roger was the lyricist.

What they put together was greater than the sum of its parts. It's a sad thing they couldn't find a way to get along, but that's life....

What’s funny is that I don’t think anyone who actually played in Floyd would disagree with that, except Roger, because he was also all of those things at the same time (to him). :tearsofjoy:

I think it was David’s wife who said something about him not realizing the bond he had with Rick until after Rick passed. I‘m assuming here, but I know when I hear just a cool synth sound, whether it’s a radar ping or a nice pad, just something that basic can inspire me to write something along with it and my assumption is that it was the same way with Dave and Rick, but also them both always going for the minor key/kinda sad sounding thing.

But yeah, certainly greater than the sum of it’s parts. As much of a Gilmour fanboy I am, well, I had About Face on last weekend while doing some cleaning and every other song I had to go over and skip. His last two solo albums were really great and even the first one, but About Face has some….”Love On The Air”? GTFO. :D

I've been looking for PF tribute bands playing in the London area. I know the Australian PF tribute band has a very good reputation, never seen a British one yet though. So is the British tribute using Fractals then?
Yes they are, or should say the last time I saw them they had a continuous Fractal logo and blurb giving credit to FAS for the ability to be play the songs as they were in the studio on the screen before the show.

And I’m pretty sure they’re still official FAS endorsers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom