Come Undone?

gearjunkie

Inspired
Intro on Come Undone by Duran Duran (yeah yeah I know....it's a good song damn it!!! with a cool tone). Anyone have a preset or has made an attempt at it? Sounds like quite a bit going on, wah, flange, chorus, delay etc. I've tried unsuccessfully for quite a few years to get the sound of this intro on various types of equipment. One guy did a fairly good job with the TC electronic G system. But still not quite. If anyone wants to take a crack at it, here's the song:
Duran Duran - Come Undone - YouTube

here's the G-system setup vid:

90's Week!!! Re-Creation Theory: Come Undone - YouTube

I haven't touched this patch in while since the Duran Duran tribute dissolved but: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Come Undone - FW15 - by iaresee

I did NOT set it up using a 12-step phaser like he uses on the Zoom 9090. I just couldn't quite get it watery enough. So I dialed it in off a live clip of Warren and the band.

And I'll fight anyone who says Duran Duran in it's all its incarnations aren't Gods Among Men it when it comes to music. :D

Edit: Updated for FW15.xx. It was actually still functioning AND I forgot I DID switch to a 12-step phaser (it's been that long since I played it). FW15.xx lets you really push that Hi-Power model harder --before you had to watch the highs or they'd get really ice-pick-ey. But not any more. I've dialed this in with my dark Standard 24 on the bridge pickup and it sounds pretty swell to me. But tune to fit your guitar using the GEQ section in the AMP block.

Last edited:
THANKS!!! When I load it into Axe Edit The filter is off and the delay and chorus. Is this how you use it? When I turn on the filter block and the Flanger it sounds really good. One of the closest presets I've seen for this sound. I could never find any info on what Warren actually used for this sound. Did he use the zoom 9090? You the man!

And Yes Duran Duran (one of my favs as well as many others) made 80's pop music good! Back then I thought pop is pop, I'm a rock guy. I still loved a lot of the pop music. But with the current state of rock and pop music I almost find it unlistenable. (just my opinion) I find the old Pop music awesome!!!! Just a generational thing I guess...

THANKS!!! When I load it into Axe Edit The filter is off and the delay and chorus. Is this how you use it?
Filter block is just a +6 dB linear boost for solos -- it's usually off. The delay, the one running in parallel, should be ON. And the chorus should be off.

When I turn on the filter block and the Flanger it sounds really good.
I always say: go with what sounds good to you! That intro is so watery it's a bit of a mess to decipher. I used some live tracks and a GFTPM article that another beta tester was kind enough to forward me to try and sort out the details. It was a long, iterative process for sure.

One of the closest presets I've seen for this sound. I could never find any info on what Warren actually used for this sound. Did he use the zoom 9090? You the man!
Yea, according to the GFTPM article it was a 12-step phaser in the 9090. I used to have one and stupidly sold it -- was a killer little half-rack box.

Enjoy!

Thanks again. I've always been able to get the core sounding "swishy" parts with Phase, or flangers relatively close enough, but it's the pops and bubble sounds that have always had me completely dumbfounded. It also seems like there's some sort of auto wah or something as well. Either way it was (and still is) one of the coolest sounds I've ever heard.

Thanks again. I've always been able to get the core sounding "swishy" parts with Phase, or flangers relatively close enough, but it's the pops and bubble sounds that have always had me completely dumbfounded. It also seems like there's some sort of auto wah or something as well. Either way it was (and still is) one of the coolest sounds I've ever heard.

Yes! The pops! You'll notice there's a wah running in parallel in that patch -- that's there for the pops! It should be envelop-triggered. :)

Yes! The pops! You'll notice there's a wah running in parallel in that patch -- that's there for the pops! It should be envelop-triggered. :)

I know it's been a while but I tried your preset with my Axe Fx 3 and fractool kinda makes a mess out of it. Do you happen to have an updated version for the Axe 3 that I can check out?

Back
Top Bottom