Combo amp recommendations

Well after grappling with stage volume problems at the gig, the easiest solution is to use a modeler. I left Line 6 11 years ago for the same reason I'm leaving Fractal: reliability, so I may go with a Quad Cortex when they're available again.

Well after grappling with stage volume problems at the gig, the easiest solution is to use a modeler. I left Line 6 11 years ago for the same reason I'm leaving Fractal: reliability, so I may go with a Quad Cortex when they're available again.
What reason is there to think the QC will be more reliable than Helix or Fractal? It hasn't been out nearly as long, and it's their first product, with not that many units in the field, very few doing pro tour duty afaik.

I'm not trying to criticize you, and I'm super sympathetic to the troubles you've had -- that would really suck. But I gotta say, your experience is very much an outlier.

Many pro touring acts have used Fractal for years, in situations where downtime is unacceptable. Helix less not some. Both Line 6 and Fractal have exemplary support. Does the QC have any of that history, or organizational bench strength?

What reason is there to think the QC will be more reliable than Helix or Fractal? It hasn't been out nearly as long, and it's their first product, with not that many units in the field, very few doing pro tour duty afaik.

I'm not trying to criticize you, and I'm super sympathetic to the troubles you've had -- that would really suck. But I gotta say, your experience is very much an outlier.

Many pro touring acts have used Fractal for years, in situations where downtime is unacceptable. Helix less not some. Both Line 6 and Fractal have exemplary support. Does the QC have any of that history, or organizational bench strength?
Like I said, I had the same reliability problems with Line 6 that I'm having with Fractal. At this point I'm willing to take a chance on something else. From MY perspective, there are serious QC issues at hand. I can accept that my first unit was a lemon. For it to happen to a second one is unacceptable and indicative of something deeper going on. Right now from my perspective is if I were to get this unit fixed & stick with it, how long before the next failure?! It's the best sounding unit out there, granted. Other options out there include things like the Headrush and Boss GT1000. Don't know a thing about the Headrush but the Boss products are pretty reliable, having a couple of pedals that are 30+ years old.

Like I said, I had the same reliability problems with Line 6 that I'm having with Fractal. At this point I'm willing to take a chance on something else. From MY perspective, there are serious QC issues at hand. I can accept that my first unit was a lemon. For it to happen to a second one is unacceptable and indicative of something deeper going on. Right now from my perspective is if I were to get this unit fixed & stick with it, how long before the next failure?! It's the best sounding unit out there, granted. Other options out there include things like the Headrush and Boss GT1000. Don't know a thing about the Headrush but the Boss products are pretty reliable, having a couple of pedals that are 30+ years old.
There will always be some failures for any product of any kind, that's just reality.

The fact that you had two failures in a row on Fractal is statistically always a possibility, and doesn't in fact indicate something bigger going on, just bad luck.

What does indicate a larger pattern is the number of high profile pro acts using them.

In any case, good luck to you.

Not trying to talk you out of your decision... But, if there's something up with reliability we would almost certainly see that represented on the forum, and I don't think we have.

It sucks that you have had 2 issues...

Comparing the reliability of a Boss pedal or even an amp head to a device like the Axe Fx is not realistic. Many more parts and much more complex device, and thus potentials for failure.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Not trying to talk you out of your decision... But, if there's something up with reliability we would almost certainly see that represented on the forum, and I don't think we have.

It sucks that you have had 2 issues...

Comparing the reliability of a Boss pedal or even an amp head to a device like the Axe Fx is not realistic. Many more parts and much more complex device, and thus potentials for failure.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Honestly I'm at an impasse right now. The unit arrives there tomorrow & I'll probably have it back a week or so later. I'll have that much time to mull things over further and decide. I appreciate your feedback.

Honestly I'm at an impasse right now. The unit arrives there tomorrow & I'll probably have it back a week or so later. I'll have that much time to mull things over further and decide. I appreciate your feedback.
I gotta believe the chances that you'd continue to have issues with that unit, assuming they absolutely fix the problem, go way down.
I've been hanging out here pretty regularly this past year, and hardly see any issues with the Axe Fx III. I have enough personal faith in it that I opted to not spring for the extra 2 year warranty, once my initial warranty was nearing the end.

While this isn’t the place to launch into a rant against a competitor, I would put some serious research into the QC before putting the money down for one. For a brief period I had interest in one but that has been completely removed from the table for me at this point.

Certainly odd to have that many issues with the III, but there’s always an outlier in any group of products.

Honestly I'm at an impasse right now. The unit arrives there tomorrow & I'll probably have it back a week or so later. I'll have that much time to mull things over further and decide.
You gotta do what you gotta do, but like others have said, you rarely hear this happening with the Axe Fx. Even though you have had some bad luck, your best bet might still be with Fractal…….just sayin.

You gotta do what you gotta do, but like others have said, you rarely hear this happening with the Axe Fx. Even though you have had some bad luck, your best bet might still be with Fractal…….just sayin.
After literally sleeping on it, I'm going to hang onto the Axe. It arrived in NH today so I'd expect it back sometime early next week. Hopefully this will be the end of the bad luck run with it.

After literally sleeping on it, I'm going to hang onto the Axe. It arrived in NH today so I'd expect it back sometime early next week. Hopefully this will be the end of the bad luck run with it.
Maybe talk to them about this issues you've had. Not saying it will lead to anything, but if I had a customer experiencing this, I'd want to know, and maybe something in a conversation with them might help...?

Maybe talk to them about this issues you've had. Not saying it will lead to anything, but if I had a customer experiencing this, I'd want to know, and maybe something in a conversation with them might help...?
They do know about it. I've been using the same email to them since my first problem. The one thing I can say is beyond outstanding is the support. Always been top notch.

I truly hope you're able to get the Axe III sorted out. Would hate to see you have to move on but I get it. Went through a similar thing with an incredibly popular amp that failed on me 3 times, fortunately only at rehearsals. Ironically, the friend who took it in trade has had absolutely zero issues with is since the last trip to the shop, that was over 15 years ago.

I truly hope you're able to get the Axe III sorted out. Would hate to see you have to move on but I get it. Went through a similar thing with an incredibly popular amp that failed on me 3 times, fortunately only at rehearsals. Ironically, the friend who took it in trade has had absolutely zero issues with is since the last trip to the shop, that was over 15 years ago.
I'm pretty much in "that place" right now - hoping that this is its last trip to the shop. At this point I do plan on keeping it & hoping for the best. I do admit I will be very wary right out of the gate but hopefully that'll pass.

I had a truck like that. Replaced the engine at 29k miles, never right after. Traded it. Saw it at a liquor store, stopped the guy and asked him about it (knew it was my old truck from a scratch on the fender.) He fuckin loved it! All 125K miles he'd put on it! o_O

So, I've decided that I'm definitely keeping the Axe. As was explained earlier, good chance I'll have a solid, reliable product after I get it back. I also just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone for the earlier amp suggestions, as well as the sage advice & perspectives!

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good combo amp. Due to weight lifting restrictions (30 lbs) it'd most likely have to be a 1x10 or 1x12 solid state unfortunately. In my history with the AxeFX III, I'm on my 4th problem and will be selling it once it's fixed. Hate to go this route but I'm on my 2nd "III" and extremely frustrated with the hardware issues. Don't want to go with a different modeler since the Axe sounds better than everything else out there. I play mainly classic rock. I currently have a Marshall MG which doesn't sound that good and is just used as a backup. Thanks.
If I could buy a small tube amp for kicks I'd go for an Orange TH30 combo.

Edit : oops 49lbs....still it sounds killer

Back
Top Bottom