Combo amp recommendations

jyflorida

Power User
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good combo amp. Due to weight lifting restrictions (30 lbs) it'd most likely have to be a 1x10 or 1x12 solid state unfortunately. In my history with the AxeFX III, I'm on my 4th problem and will be selling it once it's fixed. Hate to go this route but I'm on my 2nd "III" and extremely frustrated with the hardware issues. Don't want to go with a different modeler since the Axe sounds better than everything else out there. I play mainly classic rock. I currently have a Marshall MG which doesn't sound that good and is just used as a backup. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good combo amp. Due to weight lifting restrictions it'd most likely have to be a 1x10 or 1x12 solid state unfortunately. In my history with the AxeFX III, I'm on my 4th problem and will be selling it once it's fixed. Hate to go this route but I'm on my 2nd "III" and extremely frustrated with the hardware issues. Don't want to go with a different modeler since the Axe sounds better than everything else out there. I play mainly classic rock. I currently have a Marshall MG which doesn't sound that good and is just used as a backup. Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your struggles with your III - mine has been flawless. My favorite combo amp os my 15 watt MAGNATONE Super fifteen. Incredible tone, lightweight. Can't go wrong for a grab n go solution.

Sorry to hear about your struggles with your III - mine has been flawless. My favorite combo amp os my 15 watt MAGNATONE Super fifteen. Incredible tone, lightweight. Can't go wrong for a grab n go solution.
Heard some sound samples of this online today. Phenomenal sounds- thank you!

If you can handle 34lbs, I’ll highly recommend a Tone King Imperial Mk II. It’s 20 watts with an Ironman II attenuator built in. I’ve had one for probably four years and love it, and use it weekly. It has two channels, both based on Fender circuits; the rhythm is based on a Blackface Deluxe and the lead is based on a Tweed Deluxe. If you look around you can find them used but they’re in high demand so their price stays high.

The Tone King Falcon and Falcon Grande are little monsters and I’d consider them for a small grab and go. I played through a Falcon and that’s what turned me onto the Imperial. The Grande uses an Ultralinear type transformer which creates an older amp sound, not like the typical Fender-ish sound, they’re fat and full sounding.

The only other amp I’d take over those is a Bartel Amplifiers Starwood. They’re designed by the same guy, Mark Bartel. He sold Tone King and started Bartel Amplifiers and they’re stunning amps, handmade, with an extremely flexible sound. Unfortunately it’s 42lbs. The little brother to that is the Sugarland at 33lbs. There are videos of them out there, and the amps are making a name for themselves.

Last edited:
Bought a Boss 100w Katana 2 1x12 . It ain't my Axefx3 rig but for the price its hard to beat especially with the optional foot controller .. Nice and light also... very impressive for SS.

Anything by Dr. Z or Satellite amps, IMHO.

The Z28 has been my fav for like 20 years.

I really dig my Satellite Niveus - great little combo...and a great deal used (a bit $$ brand new).

The Tone King sounds great over the videos I checked out. Plan on checking out the other recommendations later today. Hate to go this route but I need reliable equipment.

One sleeper of an amp is the Vox Pathfinder 15R. 8" speaker but has enough power to push a 2x12 cabinet with WGS Retro 30 and ET65 speakers. Great tone and actually takes pedals well. Would definitely recommend the Pathfinder as far as pure tone goes, solid state or not.

I'm considering going the "K.I.S.S." route and going with one of the Fender Tonemaster amps & a couple dirt pedals. Very lightweight amps - if I go much over 30-32 lbs max I risk a hernia (ouch!). Also looking at the Fender Mustang modeling amp.

I'm expecting to get my III back within the next couple weeks, at which time it'll be on the "auction block". Then I can put the proceeds towards other equipment.

For the record, the reason I'm getting out of the Fractal arena is reliability. My first III had the USB port die. Shortly after that was fixed, something on one of the boards crapped out causing a very loud buzz whether a guitar was plugged in or not.

I replaced it with a MkII. A few months ago, the same loud buzz happened again. That was fixed & now I have intermittent audio from Output 1. Did the usual troubleshooting with Support & ended up sending it in this past Wed. At this point I decided enough is enough. Time to move on unfortunately. Whatever I decide on, hopefully it'll have much better reliability.

I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Last edited:
Still leaning more towards the Fender TM just from a weight perspective. Still a big decision since I'm basically going from near-infinite tones down to one.

The Blackstar Silverline amps look pretty cool. Haven't decided on anything - not in any hurry. Need to get the AxeFx III back from Support and sell it first.

Back
Top Bottom