Combo amp for weekend gigs? Suggestions

JasonB5232

Inspired
Started playing cover songs with some friends on the weekends and looking for suggestions on a combo. I have a Axe III and bringing it would be like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. The last amp in this category that I had was a Marshall DSL40, liked the way it sounded, but it spent more time in the repair shop than it did me playing it.

Anyone have a Morgan AC20 or Dr. Z Z Wreck?

I liked the features of the Tone King Imperial, but I've been leaning towards Vox styles sounds recently.

Also, struggling between 15 or 30 watts as I like having the headroom. I like rolling the volume to clean up.

Thanks

I picked up a monoprice 15 watt all tube combo that I have since passed on to my son. Its el84s make it very voxy. I picked that amp up as a refurb for about $150. I loved it through a Matchless modified greenback. My kiddo replaced the stock speaker with a Bad Cat modified V30. He still loves it. It is the same PC board and schematic as the 12watt Laney Cub.

The AC20 Deluxe is a killer amp, and among my favorite models in the Axe Fx as well. For what you’re doing, a Mesa Nomad 1x12 (I prefer the 55, but the 45 is a good second choice) is a great all-in-one amp that does it all: three channels with multiple modes each, independent bass/mid/treble/presence/gain/master per channel, independent reverb control per channel, and a solo boost that works on whatever channel you’re on… oh, and a overall master volume. Sounds great; I used them in variety bands for years, and still have a Nomad 55 4x10. All tube, of course, and for a one and done combo amp, it’s hard to beat. Long out of the Boogie (now Boogson) lineup, they can be found reasonably priced used. A real wolf-in-sheep’s clothing.

If you have a good amplification option for your Axe Fx, maybe just getting an FM3 might cover you even better. You could mod your Axe patches for it, and it isn‘t too much bigger than a normal amp footswitch.

Lots of options!

maybe just getting an FM3 might cover you even better.
I thought about this, but by the time I get a power amp and speaker, I started thinking am I going to be lugging more stuff around. My initial thought was get a versatile amp and throw 2 pedals in a bag if needed. I could be convinced otherwise though.

Lots of options!
I literally have option paralysis... HA!

I thought about this, but by the time I get a power amp and speaker, I started thinking am I going to be lugging more stuff around. My initial thought was get a versatile amp and throw 2 pedals in a bag if needed. I could be convinced otherwise though.

I literally have option paralysis... HA!
Totally understand. Something like that Nomad then, with multiple great sounding channels and onboard reverb will go a long way towards covering all bases with minimal packaging to cart around. I think it’s among the better do-all amps around, unless you step up to the Road King II 2x12… 😆

Good luck!

My real-rig's-in-the-shop amp is a Blackstar ID60 1x12 modeling combo amp.
I can find tones in it that are pretty decent, small and light, basic fx.
Its own footswitch does a lot with a few switches, to a fault, but if you only want access to a little bit of what it does, it's ok.
Should be cheap used.

I have AC20 deluxe combo- it’s killer for what you want the voltage master works great too - on the cheap I would go katana 50 or 100 watt 1x12

There are too many options out there right now.

The only thing I'll comment on is the reliability factor. I've gigged a ton of different amps and, in my experience, Mesa Boogie is the least shop prone in my stable. I'll second a used Nomad or 22 Caliber (both EL84) at the cheap end or a Mark IV . . . wait . . . I just checked used Boogie prices.

Nevermind, at those prices, I'd stick to new amps.

The tonemasters are 22-25lbs. They sound like their tube counterpart. Bring a drive pedal or two and you’re off.

Try one and report back.

I'm cracking up right now. I had literally convinced myself to go the powered FRFR route and then started reading the thread @Rick started about finding the right FRFR. So I came back here to see if there were anymore amp suggestions. :D

Powered FRFR suggestions would also be appreciated.

I'm cracking up right now. I had literally convinced myself to go the powered FRFR route and then started reading the thread @Rick started about finding the right FRFR. So I came back here to see if there were anymore amp suggestions. :D

Powered FRFR suggestions would also be appreciated.
Yeah, powered speakers are the way, but the best sounding ones so far have (unfortunately) been produced by companies that, for whatever reason, could not support them. Both of mine still work, but they have little glitches I’d like fixed and can’t find service for them. There is an amp repair shop 60 miles away I might take them to… it is, after all, just electronics.

I‘ve also thought about selling them and trying the EV PXM-12MP that @Greg Ferguson and others have used with good results. At least there are a lot of EV dealers around.

On the other hand, the Neo Creambacks I ordered for my Mesa Road King II came in yesterday. I loaded them up and they sound really good in that amp. They also lightened the beast quite a bit, having had a pair of cast frame Altec 417-8Hs in it prior. Though no one will ever call a Road King II 2x12 combo light, I can actually see taking it to local jams now!

To finish my schizophrenic post, I’ll mention that my FM9T will be in next week, and it too will be a regular companion on these kind of play dates. :oops:

Last edited:
Started playing cover songs with some friends on the weekends and looking for suggestions on a combo. I have a Axe III and bringing it would be like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. The last amp in this category that I had was a Marshall DSL40, liked the way it sounded, but it spent more time in the repair shop than it did me playing it.

Anyone have a Morgan AC20 or Dr. Z Z Wreck?

I liked the features of the Tone King Imperial, but I've been leaning towards Vox styles sounds recently.

Also, struggling between 15 or 30 watts as I like having the headroom. I like rolling the volume to clean up.

Thanks
No mention of budget... The CARR Slant 6V sounds killer! but not exactly inexpensive. My next pick for under 2k would be something in the Bad Cat line up maybe a club 15, those little amps really cut like a knife! and can be had for around $1200 or so.

Back
Top Bottom