Combo amp for power amp only

Guitarist9891

Inspired
Does anyone know a good lightweight (not over 40lbs) tube combo amp with a series effects loop, where the master volume would work once I plug the Axe 2 into the effects return?

Thanks!

Please no FRFR suggestions.

I had the Mesa Boogie F30
Worked like a charm.
I quit with it only because it coloured the sound towards Mesa too much for me but for the rest, great amp!
Just my 2 cents

I used JSX combo for a while and it worked very well (especially with KT-77's in it), that power amp is pretty neutral and the loop is very good
on those amps.
but it's on the heavier side and I did not like the combo speakers (why I moved it)

Great idea if you can make yourself not worry too much about the tube coloring. This way by carrying the amp, you not only have your "power/amp and cab" but you also have a backup preamp. If you get an amp without a master output then the axe will ultimately be the only control for volume. Not necessarily a bad thing really. I used my orange rockerverb 50 for this way. Mesa rectoverb is a nice combo with a master output if you want that...I'm sure there are plenty of good options...

Also, if you go this route you may want to just consider running 4 cable method and use the amps preamp with the axe's effects sometimes too. PM if you want more info about doing this.

Thanks for all the responses. I have been splitting my signal out1 to FOH out 2 to power amp guitar speaker for roughly 2 yrs now. Been using the Mesa 20/20 but decided that I want to cut down on the weight. The rack with Mesa, axe and a furman weighed over 40 lbs. plus now i can put my LIquid Foot JR controller in the rack since I got 2 free spaces. I have been emailing some companies and an egnater tweaker 15 watt combo is supposed to work just like I need with the master volume still active if only using the effects return.
And the egnater is only 30 lbs. and yes if God forbid something goes wrong i have a fully functioning combo amp as backup.

Does it have to be valve? I've used a peavey studio 112.. Was OKish...
Tho mind the volume as it goes straight to full tit!
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Yes I like it to be valve. I like how valves react with guitar speakers. Never got into matrix amps although I owned a gm50 for a short period of time. I only like how SS amps react with FRFR solutions. And I am not worried about tube coloration since I only use 3 amps models live. Vox TB, Plexi treble and Plexi Normal. And as long as I get a good sound I am happy. I am not after comparing it to a real Marshall and splitting hairs. Just a great usable generic distortion sound. Same goes for clean. I have an electro harmonic SS power amp for backup though, but it is the size of a cigarette pack.

you might want to check out the Tech 21 Power Engine.

I know a few cats that use these for their W/D Dumble clone rigs.

Last edited:
egnater tweaker 15 watt combo

I have played an axe fx through one of these and it was great. I disabled the power amp section and cab's in the axe and let the egnater do its tube thing. The axe provided preamp and fx's and stuff. Also tried the 4cable thing; a little noisy (ultra user)
but great potential with some isolation for the ground loop issues.

Back
Top Bottom