Combining AX8 direct and phone video in Reaper

Smittefar

Axe-Master
@Mark Pritchard has a thread on advice for recording guitar videos https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/advice-needed-to-make-guitar-video’s.142648/

As always, I tried to push him towards reaper, we'll have to see if he goes there :D

Anyway, it gets asked fairly often how to do some kind of video where you have an AX8 direct signal combined with video. Here, I show how to do this in reaper. I only show the bare-bones basics. You can of course do much more with fades, zooming, picture in picture, etc. If you wanted to blend a microphone signal (speak) with the direct AX8 signal that would be fairly easy as well. Reaper cannot do everything, you might want to do to a video. There are tasks, where I have to resort to a real video program (Color grading comes to mind), but I find that Reaper suffices for 95% of my video needs. I would probably always do the editing in Reaper, since I am much more familiar with Reaper than any video software package, so I can work much faster with Reaper.

Here is the editing video (which was also itself edited in reaper)

And here is the final edited video

And as you can see, I forgot to lock the exposure on my phone, so the video is changing brightness, which is super annoying. So PRO TIP: Remember to set and lock the exposure on the phone before recording the video.

This is very helpful; thanks! It will be a while before I'm ready to make a video, but good to know what can be done in Reaper. You went through the rendering settings a bit quickly, but I can get that later (if I remember to look for this thread).

I've been following the thread you mentioned since it started, and google searching video editing software for windows; but your video was much more on point for what I and others here would like to be able to do. What I'm really intrigued about though is this ...

... You can of course do much more with fades, zooming, picture in picture, etc ...

Thanks again!

@Mark Pritchard has a thread on advice for recording guitar videos https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/advice-needed-to-make-guitar-video’s.142648/

As always, I tried to push him towards reaper, we'll have to see if he goes there :D

Anyway, it gets asked fairly often how to do some kind of video where you have an AX8 direct signal combined with video. Here, I show how to do this in reaper. I only show the bare-bones basics. You can of course do much more with fades, zooming, picture in picture, etc. If you wanted to blend a microphone signal (speak) with the direct AX8 signal that would be fairly easy as well. Reaper cannot do everything, you might want to do to a video. There are tasks, where I have to resort to a real video program (Color grading comes to mind), but I find that Reaper suffices for 95% of my video needs. I would probably always do the editing in Reaper, since I am much more familiar with Reaper than any video software package, so I can work much faster with Reaper.

Here is the editing video (which was also itself edited in reaper)

And here is the final edited video

And as you can see, I forgot to lock the exposure on my phone, so the video is changing brightness, which is super annoying. So PRO TIP: Remember to set and lock the exposure on the phone before recording the video.

That’s great @Smittefar thanks for the link to this video, looks simple enough, will definitely check Reaper out. Funnily enough Livin on a prayer is one of video’s I will be doing haha
Thanks again mate

You're welcome :)

I've been following the thread you mentioned since it started, and google searching video editing software for windows; but your video was much more on point for what I and others here would like to be able to do. What I'm really intrigued about though is this ...

Regarding more advanced video manipulation in Reaper, this video is a great place to start http://reaper.fm/videos.php#QHcjUEOfAA0 - If you really want to dive in, The Reaper Blog has many great tutorials. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4mhaIEnflCAl0fYV8DGMew99A9IHWnfK

Anther vote for Reaper. I have been using reaper for close to 10 years now and it is the only DAW I use in my commercial studio. Great platform, extremely flexible and configurable, installs supper easy and fast, and the cost can't be beat. Even a commercial license is cheaper than a base package for most other DAWs.

Oh, and there are a ton of free great tutorial videos on the Reaper web site. I should also mention that the Reaper online forum is right up there with the Fractal community - tons of great folks who are quick to reply with solutions to any question you might post.

Jon from The Reaper Blog just made a video about how to set up a video project in Reaper. He covers all the basics that I skipped over a little too fast.

Back
Top Bottom