Combine multiple presets

axedude

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish, just not sure the best approach.

I'm trying to create one MAIN RIG preset with 8 scenes, each with a a unique Amp / tone sound / effects that covers ALL of my main tones in a single preset. ie: Clean, Crunch, Lead 1, Lead 2, etc. I already know that parts is easy if you're starting from scratch! However, thats NOT my goal.

What I want is to combine 7 or 8 different specific scenes that already exist in my Axe Fx III, BUT they're all located in multipe presets right now. So I simply want to take all of those and combine them into one new preset.

I know that exporting scenes or copying and pastng scenes from one preset to another is not currently supported. At least thats what I've read in the forums. In other words I'd much rather not start ALL of these from scratch if I don't have to

Here's the only way I could think of accomplishing this, without going preset by preset, then writing EVERY single pararmeter down so I could then duplicate this exactly in the new preset/scene.

1) In each of the 8 current presests (Scenes) that contain the exact settings I want, create a global block for each Amp block, Cab Block, each Effect block(s).

2) Write down a list of ALL of the Global Blocks in a spreadsheet list so I know which is which (Which Amp, which preset and sound etc.)

3) Create a new BLANK MAIN RIG preset and one by one create each scene 1 thru 8 using ALL the global blocks I created above in step 1 in the correct place and order.

I might be doing this the hardest way but it's the only work around I could think of! Anyone have any other ideas ?

global blocks are the entire block. not channels. so that might not do what you think it will.

you're probably going to have to do this manually. but do you need to write down literally ALL of the settings for every block? probably not.

the best idea is to copy and paste channels, using the Channel dropdown in the Channel area of each block. just do it methodically block by block and you'll be done in no time.

make a new blank preset
place the amp block
SAVE
go to a preset that has the Amp block you want for new preset Channel A
Copy that channel to the clipboard
go to your new preset
paste that Channel in Channel A of the new amp
SAVE

repeat for all other channels and blocks.

the Axe can't know what parts of a Preset you want to keep if "merging" presets was a thing, so you'll have to do it.

I would use the block library instead of global blocks. You can have an unlimited (?) amount of saved library blocks vs. global blocks and after some bookkeeping you should be able to condense the library blocks down to just a few. You will still have to manually enter the settings for different channels between different blocks, at least to the best of knowledge, I haven't tried to copy channels between blocks, but I don't think that's currently possible.

Edit: OK, looks like I'm wrong, you can copy channels between blocks. Much easier.

I would use the block library instead of global blocks. You can have an unlimited (?) amount of saved library blocks vs. global blocks and after some bookkeeping you should be able to condense the library blocks down to just a few. You will still have to manually enter the settings for different channels between different blocks, at least to the best of knowledge, I haven't tried to copy channels between blocks, but I don't think that's currently possible.

Edit: OK, looks like I'm wrong, you can copy channels between blocks. Much easier.
i agree, block library is better than global blocks for what he mentioned, but that too copies and loads the entire block, not just single channels. it's a "block" library and a block has 4 channels. it's not a "channel" library, which has been a popular wish lately.

just a heads up for the OP if he only skims and sees "oh use the block library."

i agree, block library is better than global blocks for what he mentioned, but that too copies and loads the entire block, not just single channels. it's a "block" library and a block has 4 channels. it's not a "channel" library, which has been a popular wish lately.

just a heads up for the OP if he only skims and sees "oh use the block library."

Oh absolutely, I was hoping my 'bookkeeping' comment made it clear that some channel copying would be needed to get everything smooshed down to a minimum number of blocks. I'm stoked to learn I can copy channels from one block to another, that's super handy!

Awesome feedback, thanks for the good ideas ! The Copy / Paste Channel idea makes sense. I knew you could copy and paste channels into the same preset, but didn't know you could paste them into another preset. That at least saves time and hassles for sure. Hopefully one day FAS will have a way to solve this. Thx again !

Right there with you. I’ve been meaning to do this exact thing for a while. The hard part is I inevitably end up noodling away my time.

One thing you could do is setup a camera on a tripod and video tape yourself moving through the edit screens. Start recording at the Grid Layout of each preset, then move to the input block, hit Edit, pause, maybe flip through the pages if there's something interesting, then hit Edit to move along to the next block. Then you can start with a blank preset in Axe-Edit and have your video available in another window.

Right there with you. I’ve been meaning to do this exact thing for a while. The hard part is I inevitably end up noodling away my time.

I'm literally laughing out loud when I read your post. Thats EXACTLY what happened to me last night ! Started working on setting up the new preset. Then as I was auditioning which amp tones to move, it became NOODLING time for like 2 hours ! The good news the Axe sounded awesome. lol

One thing you could do is setup a camera on a tripod and video tape yourself moving through the edit screens. Start recording at the Grid Layout of each preset, then move to the input block, hit Edit, pause, maybe flip through the pages if there's something interesting, then hit Edit to move along to the next block. Then you can start with a blank preset in Axe-Edit and have your video available in another window.

Thats a good idea for sure. Seems a lot better than writting every single thing down in every preset and all those pages! Thx

I was searching the forum for something like this too.... combining all my favorite scenes from different presets into one preset.

You may not be able to copy and paste scenes, but you can copy and paste blocks and channels. I have done this multiple times when trying to combine presets. As an example, if I have a clean amp sound in a preset that I want to incorporate into another preset, I just copy the channel to the clipboard and paste it into the amp block of the target preset. You can do the same with blocks as well.

Back
Top Bottom