Color Code The Mini Tuner

biggness

Power User
Would be handy to color code the mini tuner on the front panel. Different colors represent different pitches.

Example of real world use: Playing live, think your Low E is a little flat, glance back at the mini tuner and see if your Low E a "green double arrow." A little later after a gnarly bend, check your G string... Is it an orange double arrow? Nope. A little flat. High E gone sharp? One yellow arrow confirms it.

Just makes tuning adjustments on the fly more accurate without interruptions.

I think you're suggesting that the degree to which a pitch is sharp or flat could be indicated by a change in the color of either the sharp or flat arrows. Doesn't sound like it would work well for color blind people, especially when you're talking about red, green, and the colors in between.

There's always the possibility for improvement and innovation but personally I've never had any trouble with the two triangles mini tuner for quick touch ups. The main tuner is also of course far more informative.

I think you're suggesting that the degree to which a pitch is sharp or flat could be indicated by a change in the color of either the sharp or flat arrows. Doesn't sound like it would work well for color blind people, especially when you're talking about red, green, and the colors in between.

There's always the possibility for improvement and innovation but personally I've never had any trouble with the two triangles mini tuner for quick touch ups. The main tuner is also of course far more informative.
No, I was talking about taking advantage of the display's abilities and assigning colors to different notes. Something like;

Low E - Green
A - Blue
D - Purple
G - Red
B - Orange
E - Yellow

It would function the same as now, flat and sharp arrow-wise, but just have different colors representing different notes.

Main use would be live playing, without wanting to run over to your pedal board to check your tuning. Just a quick glance, without interrupting the performance, while you verify that you're still in tune. The colors are for easy reference to the note you're checking.

The "differentiability" is too small for this to work on a linear scale. As an experiment, look at the image below. Then draw boxes in your mind around each of the colors you've named above and notice that the boxes are not the same size. Alternately, write the letters of the chromatic scale evenly spaced across the uniform spectrum and notice how they line up.

Spectrum Portion Electromagnetic Spectrum That Visible Stock Vector (Royalty Free) 1154529742 ...png

The "differentiability" is too small for this to work on a linear scale. As an experiment, look at the image below. Then draw boxes in your mind around each of the colors you've named above and notice that the boxes are not the same size. Alternately, write the letters of the chromatic scale evenly spaced across the uniform spectrum and notice how they line up.

View attachment 81951
Appreciate the response.

I get what you're trying to highlight, but when viewing a color palette like that, it's easy for our minds to play tricks and have bleed-over. If you use both hands and hide all the shades except for one, that color becomes more apparent.

To clarify, I'm not talking about color coding every available note. More along the lines of assigning particular colors to particular notes. Would only need six to eight different colors, for six to eight string guitars.

@biggness, are you wanting this for switching live between alternate tunings?
Other than that, if a string goes off by more than a half step during your show, you're already in trouble, and something else is going on.
Maybe if you break a string on a trem guitar, but at that point you need to switch guitars, not try to band-aid it.

I use the mini tuner all the time in between songs. Works fine. I'll punch up the main tuner every so often during little breaks.

Again... It's not about in between songs. You could just pull up the main tuner for that.

This about playing mid song, hear a string that's out, hit the note, see that it's still close via color, then fine tune it.

Yall folks never watched someone play with intensity, a la SRV, and tune mid performance? Lol

The tuner is not polyphonic. In order to know your E string is not in tune you have to play the E string by itself... I'm which case you already know which string is not in tune ;)

No, I was talking about taking advantage of the display's abilities and assigning colors to different notes. Something like;

Low E - Green
A - Blue
D - Purple
G - Red
B - Orange
E - Yellow

It would function the same as now, flat and sharp arrow-wise, but just have different colors representing different notes.

Main use would be live playing, without wanting to run over to your pedal board to check your tuning. Just a quick glance, without interrupting the performance, while you verify that you're still in tune. The colors are for easy reference to the note you're checking.
I have to disagree. I am partially red/green colorblind and was a software developer for the majority of my career. Human interface guidelines tell us that using colors to represent a state or condition doesn’t work for those of us who have this condition. 1 in 12 men around the world have it so it’s fairly common.

https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about...iseases/color-blindness/types-color-blindness

I have to disagree. I am partially red/green colorblind and was a software developer for the majority of my career. Human interface guidelines tell us that using colors to represent a state or condition doesn’t work for those of us who have this condition. 1 in 12 men around the world have it so it’s fairly common.

https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about...iseases/color-blindness/types-color-blindness
Then it'd would work as it already does for you now then, huh?

The tuner is not polyphonic. In order to know your E string is not in tune you have to play the E string by itself... I'm which case you already know which string is not in tune ;)
You're missing the bigger picture.

I never said it was polyphonic. The color is there to let you know that you are within range of that note, the arrows to indicate flat or sharp.

So instead of the mini tuner displaying your note via alphabet, it displays it via color, which is already there. FAS had to program it to be green already. Might as well take advantage of unused are free tech estate.

You're missing the bigger picture.

I never said it was polyphonic. The color is there to let you know that you are within range of that note, the arrows to indicate flat or sharp.

So instead of the mini tuner displaying your note via alphabet, it displays it via color, which is already there. FAS had to program it to be green already. Might as well take advantage of unused are free tech estate.
Doh! Not enough coffee when I replied, apparently!

Nevermind ;)

1618768590476.gif

+1. Also a software engineer. Major no-no to use color to indicate meaning without some other way of expressing that meaning accompanying it, per ADA/508 guidelines for interface design....

+1. Also a software engineer. Major no-no to use color to indicate meaning without some other way of expressing that meaning accompanying it, per ADA/508 guidelines for interface design....
Perhaps a digital assistant that would yell over the signal... "HEY ASSHOLE YOU'RE OUT OF TUNE! FIX THAT G! DON'T MAKE ME STOP THE SONG!"

Perhaps a digital assistant that would yell over the signal... "HEY ASSHOLE YOU'RE OUT OF TUNE! FIX THAT G! DON'T MAKE ME STOP THE SONG!"
Actually, this is basically how I have an always-on Turbo Tuner set. It has 0.02 cents precision and shows the note I’m attempting to play, and it’s a really bright red LED screen, so it is my digital assistant yelling this exact phrase constantly haha.

Back
Top Bottom