Collective Soul - Intro Trem/Stutter effect...how?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Trying to make it open and close like the orginal. Have close, but it still doesn't shut off quick enough. Ideas?

FWIW they use a sample, live, to do this.

But try a square wave trem with the depth set high but not all the way to 100. Maybe 90-95'ish. And then lower the duty parameter to increase the size of the silence part of the waveform and decrease the size of the on part of the waveform until it sounds ~correct.

I'd also put the trem block after your cab block here so it's a stutter on the fully distorted signal and doesn't change the overall distortion level of the signal.

I'm not near my gear right now, but I'm also thinking their trem is patterned on the recording. So bringing in the step sequencer to change the depth and duty might be required to get it really close.

For me, it works best to use the sequencer or an LFO to control the Volume parameter of a Volume/Pan block, instead of using a Tremolo block. That way you can trigger the sequencer or LFO to start on the beat, which is important for the Heavy effect, with the same pedal you use to turn the effect on. In other words, attach your pedal to the Run parameter.

Last edited:
For me, it works best to use the sequencer or an LFO to control the Volume parameter of a Volume/Pan block, instead of using a Tremolo block. That way you can trigger the sequencer or LFO to start on the beat, which is important for the Heavy effect, with the same pedal you use to turn the effect on. In other words, attach your pedal to the Run parameter.
Trying this and liking best.....any tweaks of note?

Some notes on that part:

The tremolo shape looks like 2/3 triangle LFO, 1/3 silence.

There's a 32nd note slapback delay, except after the last note of each phrase. The gate in the preset is set up for that, post-delay with input 1 sidechain. It might be tough to get muting technique/timing consistent enough for the gate to make much of a difference.

Also I'd recommend picking the B♭ in the main riff. I think the left guitars (rhythm & octave-up fill) hammer it, but the right track clearly picks it. On one guitar it just sounds better picked IMO. (One day I wondered if any YT covers or lessons pick that note and I couldn't find one.)

Back
Top Bottom