Collecting guitars for fun. Thoughts?

Wow ok, you're so much worse than me. I feel better. šŸ¤£
When I got started my wife said she would buy a new pair of shoes every time I bought a guitar, I said fair enough. So we also have a shoe collection. I have so many guitars I hang them from the walls and ceiling, in three rooms. all the cases are in storage. My wife refuses to help dust them. I would collect amps but I have the axe fx.

One thing Iā€™ve learned through my adventures is that life IS short and can be gone at any moment. Do what you love to do any chance you get and as other guys have said, as long as you can afford it and anyone that depends on you is taken care of then just do it.

Last edited:
Buy what you like. I thought it would be cool to buy assorted guitars from the year of my birth, thinking it would be neat to have some as old as me. That ended pretty quick when the price of vintage guitars went through the roof. I mean a Fender strat from that year is like $35k now. WTF. I could pick up a Jaguar or something, but I'd probably never play it.

Buy what you like. I thought it would be cool to buy assorted guitars from the year of my birth, thinking it would be neat to have some as old as me. That ended pretty quick when the price of vintage guitars went through the roof. I mean a Fender strat from that year is like $35k now. WTF. I could pick up a Jaguar or something, but I'd probably never play it.
I'm so old the only things I could buy from year I was born are lutes and harpsichords.

They aren't generally a good investment... majority of guitars aren't.

Nice to have a handful of them though.. to me.. my favorite guitar changes from time to time.. I didn't expect something like that until I got a few of them. Had favorites become second and third favorites..then gone back to favorite..only to become second favorites again... I'm a little puzzled by it.

Nice to have a handful of them though.. to me.. my favorite guitar changes from time to time.. I didn't expect something like that until I got a few of them. Had favorites become second and third favorites..then gone back to favorite..only to become second favorites again... I'm a little puzzled by it.
I reckon its like musical taste. Sometimes I can listen to one band for weeks on end, then another, then its a different genre altogether.

Last edited:

Try this; put your favourite guitar away and play one of you others for two or three weeks (must be same quality with no issues,) play regularly and don't touch your favourite . When you come back to it you will find the one you have been plying is your new favourite . This is why people need to get used to new things properly and not dismiss the unfamiliar mistakenly thinking it is in some way not as good as your favourite. This is how to switch to things that are better in the long run but feel alien in the first instance such as big frets or a very flat radius, both of which benefit your playing greatly .

Depends on what you define as an "investment". If your only concern is financial growth, then honestly run away from music in general as fast as you can. It's a money pit. The gear, the business, all of it.

But if you get other, non-monetary rewards from owning guitars, then collecting them might actually qualify as a good investment.

As I said earlier, life's too short. Do what makes you happy.

The problem I see with owning too many guitars as a player/collector, is deciding which one to play! Seriously though it is a bit of a bugger to maintain them all as well. The new shiny comes along and the others get pushed to the side, and to the side, next side etc... next thing you know you have close to 50. :)

Honestly if I had a bigger studio I'd have more guitars, and synths. As it is, I already have a room jam packed with them and need to sell some off if I want to try something else.

Owning a guitar is an experience like any other. It's just a part of your life, unique to the time it happens. I want part of my life to be experiencing what it's like to play a variety of different instruments, and getting to know them and use them for a while, hence I buy guitars. I feel lucky to be in a position to do that.

Depends on what you define as an "investment". If your only concern is financial growth, then honestly run away from music in general as fast as you can. It's a money pit. The gear, the business, all of it.

But if you get other, non-monetary rewards from owning guitars, then collecting them might actually qualify as a good investment.

As I said earlier, life's too short. Do what makes you happy.

Agree... buy a few guitars if you can.

I try to buy the right guitar always.. for either retaining value..or increasing in value... but since I never sold any... not sure how that will go.

I bought 2 pussy melter pedals from steel panther.... up on them...as far as electronics.
Had a Rocktron ..threw it out thinking nothing of it.

Not sure what will happen to the EVH Signature after Ed departs.

Got a Suhr from limited run edition of 100.

First run of PRS Silver Sky.

1975 Larriver classical that was made before it became a production model.

So maybe a wash.. carry it.. or get a little lucky on one.

I play the guitars frequently... so I wouldn't buy another guitar with a floating tremelo.. I have two...I only broke my rule because 1's 24 fret.
Meaning if i buy a new guitar it has to have its purpose too... that's my GAS filter for myself.. so I dont get too carried away

I think a good rule is all guitars should fit in a single room where ever you live. Thatā€™s where I drew the line. In part because itā€™s easier to humidity and climate control a single room.

Buy whatever you want, as long as you're paying 50 cents on the dollar
There's enough stuff out there/on craigslist that you can get everything for half of what it's worth

I am more or less trying to maintain or reduce. I currently have three empty hangers that are unmounted from the wall and in a box somewhere which used to have guitars hanging on them. Trying to do upgrades here and make what I have nicer.

Maintenance gets to be a drag if there are too many, as was noted elsewhere earlier....

Last edited:
welcome to the nut house! I collect Charvel guitars of all types because as a kid I was jealous of a kid in school that had one, and I could not afford one at that time, I have close to 100 now 35 years later.

I laughed out loud for 2 minutes... I'm still occasionally laughing.... holy crap I swear I'm in tears....

Your story is just awesome! You held that moment so dear to your heart as a kid...now 35 year later you have 100 Charvels.... all the same brand!!

Best story I have heard in years and the most I have laughed this year. I showed my daughter, and I guess it didn't translate as well. But I remember that type of jealousy when I was a kid, we were poor, I had a Hohner cheap amp my buddy had a Marshall half stack at 16 years old WTF.... But to hear your story and how it translated 35 years later to 100 Charvels..... it's freaking beautiful and crazy funny!!!! I'm laughing with you for sure.... it just brought those memories or being a kid back so poignantly. holy crap I'm laughing again 100 Charvels.....

Back
Top Bottom