Collecting guitars for fun. Thoughts?

pharmd07

Experienced
I enjoy collecting guitars. I don’t buy vintage stuff, but rather guitars I like. I think it’s fun. I’m not putting myself if debt, and I don’t buy anything unless I have the money for it

However, I’m not a professional musician. I never play anything bigger than a bar gig.

Sometimes I wonder what if it’s ridiculous that I keep buying guitars. I view each one as a unique piece of interactive art, but I’m not getting any financial return on investment. My wife certainly doesn’t approve of my guitar purchases!

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on this. Is what I’m doing downright silly? Or is it ok as long as I’m not accruing debt? After all, I’ll only live once.

My feelings are if you can afford it and all your other obligations are met then why not. I'm fortunate that my wife isn't bothered by it although I have gotten the odd eye-roll when another duplicate comes in. I too enjoy a nice feeling and playing instrument. I use about 3 of them for playing gigs unless the venue has a proper stage (just so they are protected from over-enthusiastic patrons). The rest I use at home or at rehearsals. I used to dream about having various guitars when I was younger but couldn't get them as I had other obligations. The way I see it now is that life is too short and if it gives you some pleasure and harms nobody then why not.

It's a hobby. As long as you and your wife are on the same page about it, who cares what anyone else thinks?

I'd probably own more guitars if I had a good place to store them.

Look at it this way. Some people are into cars, classic cars, exotic cars, drag cars, all MUCH more expensive hobbies.
Some people are into Boats, again much more expensive hobby, Some people collect antiques, another outrageously expensive hobby. In the big picture of things, guitars are a relatively cheap hobby, especially if you're not collecting vintage. If you can afford it, why not i say.
I enjoy being at a point in my life where I can now buy some of the amps and guitars that I always wanted when I was younger but couldn't afford.

Look at it this way. Some people are into cars, classic cars, exotic cars, drag cars, all MUCH more expensive hobbies.
Some people are into Boats, again much more expensive hobby, Some people collect antiques, another outrageously expensive hobby. In the big picture of things, guitars are a relatively cheap hobby, especially if you're not collecting vintage. If you can afford it, why not i say.
I enjoy being at a point in my life where I can now buy some of the amps and guitars that I always wanted when I was younger but couldn't afford.
This describes most collectors I work with but some still have collections in the multiple millions. High end vintage is just the same.

Remember;
Buy what YOU like not as an investment because it isn't. Manufacturer limited editions are almost never collectible.
Get to know EXACTLY what you want and EXACTLY what your looking at. Buy right and you won't loose (you won't make either.) Just because stuff is rare or old dose not make it worth anything. Also only buy 7+ out of 10 and never care about the colour if it is remotely hard to find. and most importantly enjoy the ride.

I love having as many guitars as I have, its just fun for me, im not a pro I dont even gig locally and ive never wanted to. I just enjoy having the best gear I can. It calms me to go into my room and just play and chill, its a stress reliever for me more than anything but ive always had a deep love of the guitar and music in general.

Im running out of room,sometimes I picture when I pass my wife having to deal with all of these; sometimes I say IM nuts why so many guitars. non pro non gig. they are art to me love looking and playing, some not played in years. sometimes I say im not buying a new one unless I sell another, but like you I just LOSE money selling they are not 'valuable' I wish I had a huge steve vai kinda room and I would display them all over. You just made me want more!

I never set out to be a collector, but there's always something cool out there that I don't have. By the time I realized I was relentlessly buying one a year (and almost never selling), I just had to face up to the truth! That was probably 10 years ago and I still haven't stopped. Fortunately my wife is OK with that (she has her own spendy hobbies), and usually what she has to say is "you've been staring at the one for weeks, just buy it already!" Her one hard and fast rule is "no goldtops" and I'm really OK with that.

welcome to the nut house! I collect Charvel guitars of all types because as a kid I was jealous of a kid in school that had one, and I could not afford one at that time, I have close to 100 now 35 years later.
I have a few late 80's Charvel too, Model 3, Model 4, model 6 in Rainbow Crackle, 375 in Desert Crackle

welcome to the nut house! I collect Charvel guitars of all types because as a kid I was jealous of a kid in school that had one, and I could not afford one at that time, I have close to 100 now 35 years later.
I'm showing this to my wife so she doesn't complain about my 40+

It's a hobby....and an awesome one.
Collect away!

If collecting guitars gives you joy, just do it. You're not hurting anyone. And if your wife gives you any grief remind her about her shoe collection. And if she continues, tell her to find the paragraph section in your marriage agreement that says that she gets to make all the decisions. You're a grown adult man. You get to vote. That means you and only you are the one who makes decisions regarding your life. If it involves the two of you, it should be a joint decision. If it involves the family finances, it should be a joint decision. If those are secure and you can afford it you should be able to buy a thousand guitars if you want too. Just like she should be able to buy whatever she wants under those same conditions.

If collecting guitars gives you joy, just do it. You're not hurting anyone. And if your wife gives you any grief remind her about her shoe collection. And if she continues, tell her to find the paragraph section in your marriage agreement that says that she gets to make all the decisions. You're a grown adult man. You get to vote. That means you and only you are the one who makes decisions regarding your life. If it involves the two of you, it should be a joint decision. If it involves the family finances, it should be a joint decision. If those are secure and you can afford it you should be able to buy a thousand guitars if you want too. Just like she should be able to buy whatever she wants under those same conditions.
lol I tell my wife all the time, I don't question you as to why there is an amazon box in front of the door every single day when I get home, so don't question me about my purchases.

And then I run......:D

LOL.... Her Shoe collection

Back
Top Bottom