Cold Weather Gig - advice needed

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
I have an outdoor gig this weekend for opening day at Alta Ski Resort. Highs are expected in the 20's ([SUP]o[/SUP]F), with snow likely. Hopefully they'll just move us indoors, but skiers don't always think that way... they'd like us to be on the deck where the skiers can hear us. Not that people at Alta need any encouragement to head for beer ;-)

Is there anything I should do to make sure my gear is ok? Can the Axe and MFC run below freezing? What about tubes, can they handle the cold? Do guitar strings get more brittle / easier to break in the cold? Anything else I need to know?

All in all, I'd rather be skiing. First powder day of the year!!!

I've done them (I live in Colorado...)

Yes, I won't lie, they suck. I didn't have too much of a problem with equipment (was playing a MOD50 head one time, and the Axe the next.) The only thing that killed me was cold fingers. I could keep them warm part time, but the guitar was cold as hell after some time...transferred to fingers. Bring extra strings; funny you should bring that up, as I broke a G in the middle of a solo, and had to finish out...fun! Good thing it was the last song in the set.

Some things I would consider:
-Bring a small tarp to put over the front of the Axe/Rack. Your biggest thing will be keeping blowing snow out of the box. Cover but give it room to breathe. I've also heard people who've had a light clear plastic over the foot controller to protect. You can still see it, but you're tapping on the plastic.
-Ask for those propane towers that they use in restaurants for the stage. They help.
-At worse grab a cheapy space heater to put close to you.
-Buy a few of those 'shake and heat' packets to put into your pockets. In between songs shove your hands in there and get circulation back.
-Wear not just warm stuff, but stuff that is wind proof...it will be cold, but that breeze will kick up and run right through you.

Once you prepare, then you'll probably find that you have a great time!

I have done outdoorgigs where it was freezing cold here in Norway.
The Axe-FX has not had any problems at all.
Count on having to tune a lot before your guitar settles though.
Using a Suhr with a baked mapleneck certainly helped, very stable in all conditions :)

Thanks... Good to know the Axe can handle the cold. I will have a tarp and a black sheet that I use to cover my rig when I leave it set up for multi-night gigs. I was thinking of putting duct tape over all the unused ports on the Axe and MFC to keep the snow out. I hope they'll have propane heaters, but I was going to bring my bathroom heater and point it at my rig.

I'll pretty much be wearing my entire ski outfit... and I have LOTS of extra layers I can put on. Handwarmers are a good idea too. I was joking with my wife about getting a nylon-string guitar just because it won't be as cold as steel. I think I'll play my Strat because it's essentially set up as a hardtail and will stay in tune better.

Note to self: don't do string bends. Slides and hammer-ons greatly preferred... ;-)

We use some portable heaters but be aware they suck down voltage like crazy. My buddy has a Marshall that goes thin and brittle when the voltage dips.

For cold weather gigs, I always bring warm boots, fingerless gloves and a wool hat. If you are wearing proper clothing for the cold then the next step is to make sure your hands, feet and head are warm and dry. That will make a huge difference in how you feel. Warm feet and hands are the key to outdoor gigs, as the capillaries in your hands / feet act as radiators. Keep them warm and you will keep your heat.

At gigs when I expect rain or sub-30 degree temperatures, I always ask for a pop-up tent for my gear, even if the stage is covered. This lets me make a game-time decision about my equipment; if it's really miserable and cold (or rain / snow are likely), then I lower the popup tent above my gear so that it's as low as possible without touching anything. Then I drape a plastic tarp around the side where the wind is blowing in. That keeps rain / snow out of my rig, and helps moderate the temperature a bit. Don't throw a tarp entirely over your rig unless it's powered down; it can overheat surprisingly quickly if all airflow is cut off. If you're on a deck against a building, you might try putting your gear as far back as possible and draping a tarp over the front of the rack and speaker cab. As electronpirate notes above, you might want to bring a clear piece of plastic sheet to cover your MIDI controller.

Tubes should be fine in the cold. Once you warm up your amp on standby, your tubes may take a few extra seconds to reach operating temperature, but then you should ready to go. For the AxeFX, I can't vouch for the lowest recommended operating temperature, but Metallica used their AxeFX units in Antarctica... :)

Strings should be OK as well. I haven't experienced string breakage at lower temperatures, although it does make sense that they will be less flexible in the cold. I've noticed that when it's cold, it's pretty difficult to keep my guitar in tune because my hands contacting the strings will raise the temperature in that area, causing tuning / intonation to change. Once I move to a different part of the next, I'm warming up a different area while the previous area cools down rapidly. My approach is to tune between songs until we've done six or so; at that point it's about as stable as it is going to be, and I can just spot-tune as necessary.

The other thing I'd recommend is that once you finish your set, move your gear inside and leave it for at least an hour before you put stuff into cases or put on the rack lids. Your gear will be cold and once you bring it inside, you'll see condensation forming on it. You can't do much to avoid this, so just give your gear time to adjust to the warmer temperature and to dry out. When we're on tour and play cold or wet gigs, everything goes from the stage directly into the truck. We remove case lids / covers, close up the back of the truck, and run the dehumidifier inside it for at least an hour before we hit the road.

Metallica seemed to have no issues with their Axe units down in Antarctica so I'd say the Axe should be good, unless its exposed to moisture in addition to cold. Might want to not bring it straight into a hot hotel room or car if its been sitting outside for hours, condensation can form on it. Best to let it gradually adjust to the indoor temps

As for yourself, hat and hand warmers are key

Good suggestions. I'm not so concerned about my own warmth (other than my fingers) because I have plenty of outdoor-type layers, Sorel boots, etc. I forgot about Metallica in Antarctica ;-) If I do need to use a tarp, I'll be sure to leave plenty of opening for airflow. And block off the unused input jacks with tape so snow can't get in.

My truck will be as cold as everything else so condensation won't be a problem when I load out. Then I can slowly warm everything up on the way home, just running the heat. Fortunately, it's pretty dry in Utah... even when it's snowing it's not humid like the Northeast or Carolina where I used to live. I've also read that you can get cracks in a guitars' finish if you bring it from really cold to warm too quickly so I'll keep it in the garage for a while, then into my studio. (and if it does crack, it'll just make my Strat look more vintage... ;-)

Let your guitars warm up IN the closed case. Opening it too soon before all is acclimated can easily cause checking in the finish. After shipping or extended stays in the case in the cold, I let the cased guitars warm to room temp for at least a day before I open 'em.

Is there any sure-fire solution to cold hands btw? As we are rehearsing in a non-heated room, the temperature is often as low as 5 degrees celsius at winter. It's painful to play when the cold starts to get into your fingers... any products you can recommend? I tried wristwarmers, but I felt they impact my playing more than the low temperature. :/

I've never played a cold gig before, but I have played a lot of open air gigs / festivals...
the biggest prob I've always encountered has been temperature change.. like an afternoon soundcheck follow by a night time performance..
the temp falls away some after sunset and you can have tuning probs... so it's worth checking your tuning [for all of your guitars] 10 mins before showtime..
also.. playing across a sunset once caused a little agro.. went on stage just a few minutes before sundown and it was 30C, came off stage at night [low 20's C].. during the last 1/4 of the show, a few strings started to sharpen a little [not fun cos I have Floyd bridges].. just a little tweak and I was "good enough" to see out the show..
got to say though.. playing Starless and Bible Black under a firey blood red [crimson.. lmao] sky was absolutely mindblowly awesome..
a truly magical moment [that was not not lost on the audience either]..

another not cold, but general open air thing is..
if it's breezy [even lightly] and you're along hair type [like me].. tie your hair back or wear a bassball cap etc...
unless of course you like not being able to see anything with your hair in your face and / or breathing in and having your hair sucked down your throat mid song..

Back
Top Bottom