Coaxing some mid range out of the axe's bass tones?

Brownmatthall

Power User
I know this section doesn't see a terribly large amount of activity but I was wondering what some of you guys do to bring out some of the low mids in your bass tone? I've been messing around more with the axe for bass and while the tones I've been getting aren't necessarily "bad", they just aren't what I'm looking for in a bass tone. More specifically i feel that the tones seem really empty in the lower mid part of the spectrum, and they really lack that thick kind of quality, as well as a sense of togetherness between my two parallel signal paths. Live i run an aguilar tone hammer 350 head and the aguilar delivers that mid range in spades but i haven't quite nailed it on the axe just yet (maybe I've spoiled myself haha), thoughts?

so, what does your signal path look like in the AxeFx? what blocks and how are they set? how are you listening to the AxeFx? Full range speakers with cabinet IRs, or with power amp and traditional cabinet?

From the Aguilar website -
EQ Section:
Bass: +/- 17 dB @ 40 Hz
Mid Level: +/- 16 dB
Mid Frequency: 180 Hz – 1 kHz
Treble: +/- 14 dB @ 4 kHz
So, on the mid frequency knob, 0 being 180 hz, and 10 being 1 khz, what is your Aguilar set at? Same thing with the mid level. 0 being -16 db and 10 being +16 db.
With that knowledge in mind, it shouldn't be hard to figure out what frequencies you are missing.

G'day Brownmatthall.

I feel your pain. Have you purchased the AMPG IRs yet?.. AMPG BASS Multi-Speaker Collection - $29.00 : OwnHammer.com - Store
They are damn good and using them was the first time I started to dig the bass sound with the axe. Having said that, I still haven't found a 'goto' sound......Still trying.
Perhaps post your preset and lets see what we can do?

Thanks
Pauly

I know this section doesn't see a terribly large amount of activity but I was wondering what some of you guys do to bring out some of the low mids in your bass tone? I've been messing around more with the axe for bass and while the tones I've been getting aren't necessarily "bad", they just aren't what I'm looking for in a bass tone. More specifically i feel that the tones seem really empty in the lower mid part of the spectrum, and they really lack that thick kind of quality, as well as a sense of togetherness between my two parallel signal paths. Live i run an aguilar tone hammer 350 head and the aguilar delivers that mid range in spades but i haven't quite nailed it on the axe just yet (maybe I've spoiled myself haha), thoughts?

The ML Sound Labs 4x10 Cab Pack is also a step up, so between it and the Ownhammer stuff, if you're using IRs, these could be very helpful.

From the Aguilar website -
EQ Section:
Bass: +/- 17 dB @ 40 Hz
Mid Level: +/- 16 dB
Mid Frequency: 180 Hz – 1 kHz
Treble: +/- 14 dB @ 4 kHz
So, on the mid frequency knob, 0 being 180 hz, and 10 being 1 khz, what is your Aguilar set at? Same thing with the mid level. 0 being -16 db and 10 being +16 db.
With that knowledge in mind, it shouldn't be hard to figure out what frequencies you are missing.

I'm usually leaving the knob anywhere from 9 oclock to 11 so I can only guestimate its in the 300/500 hz region I'm looking for, but even with the Eq's on the axe it just feels...empty is the word I'd use. That being said I do suspect that the IR's I'm using are a big part of this, I'm listening through full ranges with the stock ampeg 8x10 IR and the dirty cab was something that came in cab pack one IIRC. I do get paid this Friday though so I'll definitely be checking out that ownhammer stuff for sure! I think im also gonna try foregoing the amp model entirely and give the tube pre a shot as well when I get home, thanks everyone for the reply's btw!

What full range speakers are you using? Specs? What amp type are you using in the Amp Block? When you run the Tonehammer live, are you going direct, or are you using a traditional bass cabinet to hear yourself onstage?

What full range speakers are you using? Specs? What amp type are you using in the Amp Block? When you run the Tonehammer live, are you going direct, or are you using a traditional bass cabinet to hear yourself onstage?
M Audio studiophile BX-5's (Active 70-watt, 2-way Studio Reference Monitor with 5" Kevlar Woofer, 1" Silk Dome Tweeter, and Acoustic Space Control ), i was running the SVT and i think its a bogner shiva model in parallel, live my chain is the aguilar TLC comp pedal into the TH350 through an acoustic B115 and B410.

Have you gone through the exercise of finding out what your live rig sounds like in a studio, properly mic'd, and monitored using those same M Audio speakers? Am I correct in saying that you are comparing the tone of your live rig to that of the AxeFx, totally direct, into the M Audio spkrs.?

Have you gone through the exercise of finding out what your live rig sounds like in a studio, properly mic'd, and monitored using those same M Audio speakers? Am I correct in saying that you are comparing the tone of your live rig to that of the AxeFx, totally direct, into the M Audio spkrs.?

We used my rig to record my bands newest release, have I heard the raw sounds though my monitors? Naw I havent. I guess comparing a live stack to the axe through monitors is a bit like apples and oranges now that I think about it. I'm definitely gonna keep at it though, starting with those ownhammer impulses later this week

Ok. Thanks for providing the context. You may want to mess around with just using the Amp block and no Cab IR, just to see if you like it better. Be careful to tame the pronounced extremes of the frequencies (high end), but you might like the way it sounds more "in your face". Also experiment with the amp block's COMP settings, and try getting a smooth, fat overdrive by jacking up the Master Volume to simulate output tube distortion (adjust overall LEVEL down to compensate), and back off the preamp gain if it is distorting easily.

also check out FAS BAss and Cirtrus Bass amp types. They sound great. If you haven't already tried them, the stock IRs from 109 to 113 are a step up for the stock IRs, with 109 being a good starting point. Add an IR with the Sub-kick to add low end to taste.

Parallel routing is cool, too. I like to take a clean path and mix it with a heavily compressed sound that has the cab IR in parallel. The heavy compression provides the glue and punch while the clean path provides the dynamics and articulation.

Another cool trick for using the CAB block but without the tonal coloration of an actual cab IR is to use the NULL IR:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/93997-mic-preamp-effect-just-without-cab.html

good luck!

SO, having done some experimenting with different setups and routing I think I've finally found something that puts me in the ball park of what Ive been looking for :) i ended up settling on the '59 bassman model for the body of my tone with the SVT model in there to augment the low end of the bassman. as a comparison i threw this together really quick to show the new tone and what i was working with before, I still haven't gotten the tone exactly where i want it (a little too much breakup in the top end that im gonna work on) but its definitely closer to the sound Ive been wanting

Yeah, I was going to say try blending in a parallel signal with another amp, cab, or both. A lot of the time for heavier sounds I run a guitar amp and cab of some sort (don't remember what I'm using at the moment, maybe a Recto into some V30 IRs) alongside, with whatever filtering before and after to get the feel/response/sound right. Recording I pan each chain hard left/right so I can blend/mute/process however I want in the DAW.

Back
Top Bottom