Clueless on my audio setup

Sharp

I have so many devices and hooking them all together is a head scratcher (I don't have all the cables needed and am figuring out what cables to buy) I am trying to get audio from my computer AND my Axe FX 3 using the same monitors.

These are the 4 devices I am trying to hook together.
Studio monitors that have XLR or a 1/4 TRS input.
Axe FX 3
Mixer - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/402VLZ4--mackie-402vlz4-4-channel-mixer
Audio Interface - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettSoloG2--focusrite-scarlett-solo-usb-audio-interface

(dumb)Questions
The Axe has either XLR or humbuster as OUTPUT options. Can a TRS cable go into the humbuster 1/4 jack or does it NEED to be a humbuster only cable sold from Fractal?

I am also afraid that my audio interface doesn't have all the correct ports I will need (Only has RCA output). I am prepared to upgrade. What should I look for in an interface?

Are TRS cables all I need to hook all this up or am I missing something?

we need to know specifically what you use the Scarlett for. because without it, you can "get audio from [your] computer AND my Axe FX 3 using the same monitors."

Axe3 to Mackie
Computer headphone jack to Mackie (usually a 1/8" to y cable, either 1/4" or RCA)
Mackie to Monitors

if you aren't using specific Humbuster cables, you should use regular TS cables from the Axe 1/4" outputs, as they are unbalanced. do not use TRS cables.

I am using the Scarlett right now for computer sound only. It is only hooked to the PC with a USB cable and I am using headphones to hear. They are not hooked to the monitors at all (don't think they can)

So let me get this correct. I need two humbuster (unbalanced) cables for Outputs 1 L/R Axe 3 which then go into the back of my monitors 1/4 input?

I'm laughing now because I bought 2 TRS cables just last night thinking thats what I needed.

So let me get this correct. I need two humbuster (unbalanced) cables for Outputs 1 L/R Axe 3 which then go into the back of my monitors 1/4 input?
sorry, where are you getting that? i didn't say that at all.

let me repost what i said earlier:

Axe3 to Mackie
Computer headphone jack to Mackie (usually a 1/8" to y cable, either 1/4" or RCA)
Mackie to Monitors

if you aren't using specific Humbuster cables, you should use regular TS cables from the Axe 1/4" outputs, as they are unbalanced. do not use TRS cables.

you can use regular TS cables. you don't "need" Humbuster cables. those are usually for using with a real guitar amp. Humbuster cables are not the same as "unbalanced" cables. they are a specific design only used with Fractal Audio gear. i would highly suggest getting normal instrument TS cables.

as i said earlier, you don't even need the audio interface if you use the computer headphone jack. however if you want to use it, you'd do this:

AxeFx Output 1 - 1/4" TS to TS cables to Mackie Line In 3/4
Scarlett output - RCA to RCA cable (usually a pair) to Mackie Tape In (RCA)
Mackie Output - TRS cables you just bought to Monitors

Sorry for confusing your words. Everything you just listed there has helped me. Thank you!!!
I just did a test (cables everywhere) and am able to get sound from 1 monitor as I only have one TRS cable to use right now. It's a Y-split TRS cable (says tip/send). Probably not the right cable to use but I hear sound. The new problem is that I can adjust the Axe volume for my guitar perfectly fine but NOW my computer audio is quiet.

EDIT
As I turn off the mackie the monitor increases in volume. When I turn the Mackie back on it gets quiet again.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd ditch the Mackie & the scarlett and use the AxeFX as the interface. That's just IMHO.
Ideally that would be perfect and save me money from upgrading parts. The only problem is I don't know the cables needed for THAT setup.

The form this is in really makes sense

How would the above configuration look with the method you are suggesting. Very sorry guys

Ideally that would be perfect and save me money from upgrading parts. The only problem is I don't know the cables needed for THAT setup.

The form this is in really makes sense

How would the above configuration look with the method you are suggesting. Very sorry guys
Axe Output 1 to Monitors (1/4" TS-TS)
Axe USB to computer
Computer sound goes to the Axe via USB on Output 1

That is simple enough. Is there a setting I must change in the Axe menus?
not really. you can control the level of the Computer in the I/O menu of the Axe III front panel., USB tab.

if you're on Windows, i believe you need to install the USB driver.

not really. you can control the level of the Computer in the I/O menu of the Axe III front panel., USB tab.

if you're on Windows, i believe you need to install the USB driver.
WOW that was even easier than I thought. I got it to work. Thank you SO much dude!

I have so many devices and hooking them all together is a head scratcher (I don't have all the cables needed and am figuring out what cables to buy) I am trying to get audio from my computer AND my Axe FX 3 using the same monitors.

These are the 4 devices I am trying to hook together.
Studio monitors that have XLR or a 1/4 TRS input.
Axe FX 3
Mixer - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/402VLZ4--mackie-402vlz4-4-channel-mixer
Audio Interface - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettSoloG2--focusrite-scarlett-solo-usb-audio-interface

(dumb)Questions
The Axe has either XLR or humbuster as OUTPUT options. Can a TRS cable go into the humbuster 1/4 jack or does it NEED to be a humbuster only cable sold from Fractal?

I am also afraid that my audio interface doesn't have all the correct ports I will need (Only has RCA output). I am prepared to upgrade. What should I look for in an interface?

Are TRS cables all I need to hook all this up or am I missing something?

Sharp ...I know what you mean ,,I am brain dead when it comes to routing ..
but these guys, on here , are always willing to help out

Back
Top Bottom